OT: - Henry Ruggs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Henry Ruggs

Reaction Score
Also in kind of a twisted way, corvette safety features must be insanely good if you’re walking away from a 150+ mph crash with nothing but scratches.

Reaction Score
This guy should rot in a cell for the rest of his life but I doubt it will happen. What a remarkable amount of negligence rolled into one horrible situation. Young people generally do stupid things but this is so above and beyond that it's indefensible. That being said, this is the NFL we're talking about here, and I imagine he'll eventually find his way onto a roster once he's out of prison, if he ever serves time.
He'll do time but he certainly won't be in a cell for the rest of his life. I think murderers are out after around 15 years on average.

If he's good enough whenever he's ready to play again I have no doubt a team will pick him up, this is the NFL we're talking about.

Reaction Score
I lived in Vegas for 9 months right off Sahara but miles away from the strip in Summerlin, and can see this happening. Roads coming off the strip into neighborhoods are long, straight, and greens line up. Perfect for drag racing and hitting speeds like that for the drunk and stupid. Honestly, I think it’s worse that his BAC was only 1.6; it’s not like he was totally blacked out behind the wheel. He knew what he was doing. So incredibly stupid, and now a young woman is gone. Dude’s life as he knew it is probably over.

I was worried when I heard that the Raiders were heading to Vegas and remember thinking to myself how the hell are 22 year old Raiders players going to stay out of trouble… sure enough this is the second wreck by a Raiders player in as many years in Vegas.
What could possibly go wrong...

Reaction Score
Nobody should ever drive drunk but the 156 mph was probably even more responsible for the crash. Most people can't handle a car going 156 mph on the highway, it's insane he was doing it on city streets.
Yeah. Thats absolutely insane when sober.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Also in kind of a twisted way, corvette safety features must be insanely good if you’re walking away from a 150+ mph crash with nothing but scratches.

Genesis G80 SUV got good publicity for its safety features after Tiger Woods' crash.

Reaction Score
I've done some track days and that kind of speed is scary on a track. I couldn't imagine doing that in town. Even sober, on a closed course, with a helmet. He deserves real time for that. What a waste.

Reaction Score
that's not how it works.
The faster you go, the more opposition there is from the wind and from the down force to keep the car stable.

This site gives it 8.2 from 0-100 and 31.2 seconds to get to 150. All of which are ridiculously fast for any production car.

Motor Trend has it at 7.1 seconds. Depends on the model I guess.

C8 Faster to 100 MPH By 1.6 Seconds Compared to C7 GS - MidEngineCorvetteForum.com

Reaction Score
Call me a bleeding heart, but I think some of you should imagine this was your son before commenting. And spare me the "what about if it was your daughter?" retort. I've thought about it from both perspectives, and my heart breaks for everyone involved.

Reaction Score
Twice the speed limit and twice the BAC limit. Jesus
Probably three times the speed limit. Friend of mine lives in LV and said it happened on a road like the Berlin Turnpike. 2 lanes on each side, retail, lots of lights.

Reaction Score
Call me a bleeding heart, but I think some of you should imagine this was your son before commenting. And spare me the "what about if it was your daughter?" retort. I've thought about it from both perspectives, and my heart breaks for everyone involved.
How your heart breaks for the killer as much as the deceased is hard to comprehend. No personal attack, I simply cannot relate to the rationale of such thinking.
A young innocent woman had her life taken by a also young out of control college educated professional. High paid athlete on a drunk mission of thrill also that could have killed him and his girl friend. They were the lucky ones.
Compassion for the victim and her family 100%, for the accused party not a bit.

Reaction Score
Really…this poor woman burned to death according to report.
“Bystanders heard Tintor screaming in the fireball” and you have sympathy for a guy driving 156 @ .16 BAC??

Reaction Score
How your heart breaks for the killer as much as the deceased is hard to comprehend. No personal attack, I simply cannot relate to the rationale of such thinking.
A young innocent woman had her life taken by a also young out of control college educated professional. High paid athlete on a drunk mission of thrill also that could have killed him and his girl friend. They were the lucky ones.
Compassion for the victim and her family 100%, for the accused party not a bit.

Really…this poor woman burned to death according to report.
“Bystanders heard Tintor screaming in the fireball” and you have sympathy for a guy driving 156 @ .16 BAC??
I can understand the anger and the difficulty to forgive the "killer". He behaved in a horrifically irresponsible way that resulted in the tragic death of another person. I just think it's intellectually lazy to wash your hands of the matter by saying, "Poor girl. Hope the driver rots in prison." Why wouldn't you want him to be held accountable for his actions (prison time, money, etc.), and then come out on the other side of this a changed person? I suspect many of you would say, "Oh, I do want that, but we all know it's not going to happen." Would you say that if this was your son?

I hope Henry Ruggs is in anguish over what happened, not because I wish him ill, but because it would indicate he is an empathetic person who feels remorse for his actions. But even though I "hope" he is in anguish, I still feel heartbroken for him and his situation. I can hear a lot of you screaming, "Forget his anguish! There is a dead girl and a grieving family!" I feel just as heartbroken for her and her loved ones as you do. I just feel compelled to encourage compassion for the other party as well, because I have not seen anyone else do it.

This forum has a newly-minted champion in Maurice Clarett. When he went through his troubles, there were a lot of privileged, ignorant, intellectually lazy people who knew nothing about him personally who said, "I hope this guy rots in jail." Luckily he did not rot in jail, and he is now out there helping to prevent Maurice Clarett and Henry Ruggs scenarios from occurring. I am pretty sure he would agree with my take on this. Also, there is a fictional character, whom a lot of you think was real, whose morals are held in the highest regard by a lot of you (and me for that matter). I guaran-god-damn-tee you he would agree with my take as well.

And you people gleefully fantasizing about Henry Ruggs being sexually assaulted: grow up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can understand the anger and the difficulty to forgive the "killer". He behaved in a horrifically irresponsible way that resulted in the tragic death of another person. I just think it's intellectually lazy to wash your hands of the matter by saying, "Poor girl. Hope the driver rots in prison." Why wouldn't you want him to be held accountable for his actions (prison time, money, etc.), and then come out on the other side of this a changed person? I suspect many of you would say, "Oh, I do want that, but we all know it's not going to happen." Would you say that if this was your son?

I hope Henry Ruggs is in anguish over what happened, not because I wish him ill, but because it would indicate he is an empathetic person who feels remorse for his actions. But even though I "hope" he is in anguish, I still feel heartbroken for him and his situation. I can hear a lot of you screaming, "Forget his anguish! There is a dead girl and a grieving family!" I feel just as heartbroken for her and her loved ones as you do. I just feel compelled to encourage compassion for the other party as well, because I have not seen anyone else do it.

This forum has a newly-minted champion in Maurice Clarett. When he went through his troubles, there were a lot of privileged, ignorant, intellectually lazy people who knew nothing about him personally who said, "I hope this guy rots in jail." Luckily he did not rot in jail, and he is now out there helping to prevent Maurice Clarett and Henry Ruggs scenarios from occurring. I am pretty sure he would agree with my take on this. Also, there is a fictional character, whom a lot of you think was real, whose morals are held in the highest regard by a lot of you (and me for that matter). I guaran-god-damn-tee you he would agree with my take as well.

And you people gleefully fantasizing about Henry Ruggs being sexually assaulted: grow up.

I think the issue people are taking is what I have highlighted. Totally fair to hope the guy turns his life around etc. etc., but feeling bad for him is odd. I don't feel bad for him--I don't think anyone should. He made abysmal decisions and killed someone. What is there to feel bad about? What is there to feel heartbroken about FOR him? You feel heartbroken for victims. There's only 1 victim here.

I didn't feel bad for my siblings when they went away for being an accomplice to murder, federal gun charges, or distributing narcotics either. There are consequences for our actions.

Also re: the first thing I highlighted... our justice system isn't intended to rehabilitate anyone. Get that out of your head. That's a pretty persistent myth and lie politicians tell on TV to look better.. If anything it's designed to promote recidivism--particularly with the parole system. What is it, 1/3 people are in prison for parole violations like missing a meeting or leaving the state?

Reaction Score

Can't believe that comment received the amount of positive attention that it did.

I don't feel bad for Henry Ruggs. But I am so tired of people using prison rape as a joke or some sort of sanctioned punishment. It's just not something a decent person would wish on another person.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
It is sad for everyone involved, including Ruggs side since he now has a 2 year old daughter who will grow up without a father. And obviously even worse for the young woman and her family that lost her forever.

But if this was my son I would be fine if the judge threw the book at him for something like this. This isn’t just an “accident” like the tragic Jim Beohiem situation a few years back (where he was sober btw). This was reckless on a whole other level. I’d be so embarrassed and would have a hard time forgiving them, ever. Swap in any other non-hypothetical family member (I don’t have kids) and I’d feel the same if this was them.

I’ve known too many people who have died in drunk driving crashes or killed someone driving drunk for me to have any sympathy for someone who does it.

Reaction Score
I think the issue people are taking is what I have highlighted. Totally fair to hope the guy turns his life around etc. etc., but feeling bad for him is odd. I don't feel bad for him--I don't think anyone should. He made abysmal decisions and killed someone. What is there to feel bad about? What is there to feel heartbroken about FOR him? You feel heartbroken for victims. There's only 1 victim here.

I didn't feel bad for my siblings when they went away for being an accomplice to murder, federal gun charges, or distributing narcotics either. There are consequences for our actions.

Also re: the first thing I highlighted... our justice system isn't intended to rehabilitate anyone. Get that out of your head. That's a pretty persistent myth and lie politicians tell on TV to look better.. If anything it's designed to promote recidivism--particularly with the parole system. What is it, 1/3 people are in prison for parole violations like missing a meeting or leaving the state?
Like I said, I feel bad for anyone who is in anguish. Not much more to it than that.

I completely agree with your thoughts on the "criminal justice" system.

Reaction Score
Like I said, I feel bad for anyone who is in anguish. Not much more to it than that.

How far does that extend though? Idi Amin was in anguish before he was captured and hanged. My sister was in anguish after she got high after school with her friends and killed a taxi driver.

Do we feel bad for everyone that is in anguish, even though their anguish is the result of cruelty or stupidity?

No personal grudge here... I'm generally just curious where you draw the line. My line is pretty firm: unless it was truly an accident (like the Jim Boeheim example someone mentioned above), then I don't feel bad for you. I don't think anyone should "rot" forever, but you aren't getting my sympathy.

Reaction Score
I’d be so embarrassed and would have a hard time forgiving them, ever. Swap in any other non-hypothetical family member (I don’t have kids) and I’d feel the same if this was them.

This is not anything personal about you but I suspect you might feel differently if you did have a kid and they did _____ up and do something horrible. I suppose there are parents in this situation who would wash their hands of their kid if they did something like this, but I couldn't see myself being one of them. Would I expect him to deal with the consequences of his actions? Absolutely.

Reaction Score
Can't believe that comment received the amount of positive attention that it did.

I don't feel bad for Henry Ruggs. But I am so tired of people using prison rape as a joke or some sort of sanctioned punishment. It's just not something a decent person would wish on another person.
I'll never understand why prison rape is allowed and why people think it's funny/cool.

Reaction Score

Every time something like this happens (or like when the 2 kids from Colchester died a couple of weeks ago for the same stupidity) - I have very specific conversations with my sons about their choices and their behavior. And I let them know that if they do stuff like that don't come to me to bail them out. There are accidents and there is being actively stupid. They probably roll their eyes when I'm done talking to them but there are certain things that can't be undone.

Reaction Score
Irrelevant to the tragedy, but it was a nice touch for him to have a loaded gun in the car. Seems like a real high-character guy.

Also: he killed the woman's dog, too.
John Wick is pissed!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom