Hawkins | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hawkins

Reaction Score
We are going to have offensive slumps to open games if Whaley and Jackson play together. It's a problem. They both do so much well... but you have to score to win.

Hawkins needs to start after this weekend if he can continue to be an effecient double digit scorer. I think starting over Jackson will be the right call.

I’ll take the different path here. We are not having problems scoring. Jackson is more polished in all facets of the game. AJ has the minutes of the two until he loses that right.
It appears that Hawk will break the starting line up with his silky smooth shot and his defense is better than I thought at this time. He could really kick start the beginning of the the game for us that we lack at times. I do agree with you @husky429 it is looking that way. Will not be a bad thing, AJax will get plenty of minutes.

AJax does so many other things that I do not get how people on this board can not see. Example, yesterday's game 6 assists = 12pts or possibly a bit more depending if 3's were involved, not to shabby.
Both will play an important part to this years run.

Reaction Score
Hawkins reminds me a lot of Caron. Not his play but his confidence in his game and ability to do whatever he wants out there. This could be really good. For me, we need Gaffney to be more consistent which I thought before yesterday was happening. If these two guys up their game consistently, the sky is the limit.

Reaction Score
AJ on glass is a monster, he brings us plenty but offensively he is a work in progress. Now making those 3’s last game was a start. A great great athlete can help in many intangible ways out there.

Reaction Score
I like Jackson starting. He offers a lot of skills that none of our players off the bench can give us. When points are needed, bring in the guns, Jordan, Tyler, Akok and Jalen. They change the dynamics of the game and give us a completely different offense. Right now our starters are scoring 58.6% of our points and reserves 41.4%. Starters have made 20 3 point baskets (41.7%), reserves 28 3 point baskets (58.3%). I really like the fact that our bench brings in a completely different style of play. Not many teams can match us off the bench. Hey were 5 and 0, don't need to make any changes at this time. Down the road things can always change.

Reaction Score
I haven't read all the responses, however, my guess as to why Hawkins wasn't in a ton the second half probably has to do with his missing time due to injury and not wanting to over burden a kid before he's locked in and possibly hurt his confidence? Judging by his reaction to the turnover, he may need to be managed more than other kids. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. That kid seems to feel it in his whole body, I love that it ate him up that he made a mistake, because it showed that he has passion for his team. It not hurting the team in the end might have been the start of something beautiful because it was a learning experience rather than a nut punch that he will dwell on for a long time. Does that make sense?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Hawkins reminds me a lot of Caron. Not his play but his confidence in his game and ability to do whatever he wants out there. This could be really good. For me, we need Gaffney to be more consistent which I thought before yesterday was happening. If these two guys up their game consistently, the sky is the limit.
I agree about Gaffney. Thought he was ready to shake things up. Yesterday was a let down.

Reaction Score
His body language after that turnover was the exact opposite of Caron Butler.

Reaction Score
AJ's entry passes are one of the reasons he's in there but he does defer a lot. On that late 2 on 1 break, that pass shouldn't have been made. An athlete like him, he could have soared from the free throw line and slammed that thing home.

Reaction Score
Jackson needs to keep playing his minutes to gain the confidence he needs. Should never have passed up dunk/layup shot late in game when he passed off to Sanogo for a contested shot which did not work. His passing is very effective, six assists, rebounding is good, ball handling will get better as will his defense. Never will be a great shooter, but all around game with 10-12 points should be in the cards.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
Aj makes the best entry passes to Adama as well. Adama had 2 dunks which were both of great looks by AJ
Watched a long highlight reel and he made so many great passes. Looked like a lot more assists than he got credit for. I'm sure Sanogo wants him on the floor even if some boneyarders don't.

Reaction Score
Andre could have had 3-4 more assists yesterday but Sanogo went through a tough stretch finishing at the rim. Obviously not Jackson's best game, and he will need to be more assertive offensively moving forward, but his passing ability is special. It was a good sign that we were able to pull out a win even with him and Martin (and eventually Whaley) fouling out in OT

Reaction Score
Hawkins has the smoothness and look of a pro. I hope we get 2 seasons with him.
I sort of do not like the early outs but with $ millions in the balance how can we blame student athletes from not taking chance on a career ending college game injury! I had suggested that schools buy special disability insurance policies from Lloyds of London for student athletes to try and keep them for 4 years!

Reaction Score
His body language after that turnover was the exact opposite of Caron Butler.
Your probably right about that, but he still reminds me of him. Very good and smooth with their games, but you can catch an elbow or knee guarding them. Under control but reckless also, I love it. Obviously physically Hawkins has a ways to go to be compared to Caron, but to me a lot of similarities. He won’t be here past his sophomore year.

Reaction Score
Hawkins look a lot like Ray. If there’s one thing he’ll need to improve on that he may come back for a 2nd year for us his handle. That jumper is pure butter. Him and AJ need to play together more. Think they can feed off their playmaking and athleticism.
Yesterday was the time I’ve watched Hawkins play. I like the Ray comparison…for some reason, in terms of body language and moxie goes, the first thing that came to mind when I saw him was Caron Butler. I know they play different positions and have different games but in terms of alpha dog/I’m the best dude out here attitude, I saw Caron and I like that.

Reaction Score
That’s exactly what I see (Caron comparison).

Reaction Score
Polished is not a word that comes to my mind when I think of Jackson. We all know he’s a great athlete, but he is a major liability on offense. And his guy went by him at will today a few times. So what does he do that is so great? A highlight reel play or two per game, but I’m really not seeing it with him until he learns how to contribute more offensively. As stated ad nauseum, he and Whaley in the lineup together severely restricts us on offense.

More Hawkins please
He's a decent secondary ball-handler and passer, but doesn't create his own offense. He's really only effective when paired with another ball-handler and 2 shooters.

Reaction Score
I agree about Gaffney. Thought he was ready to shake things up. Yesterday was a let down.
You know the stereotype of the steady backup point guard who doesn't do a lot of exciting things, but doesn't make a lot of mistakes either?

Gaffney is the opposite.

I actually don't mind that. We're going to need his playmaking in those games where he's on.

He was basically the only one who showed up against Maryland last year.

Reaction Score
It’s amazing to me how someone’s eyeballs could actually tell them AJ brings ‘almost nothing on both sides of the ball’
Well the stats don't lie. I mean I like the guy and he is trying but he is very limited player and has issues covering smaller guards even with his athletic talent. Just don't see the NBA potential others see in him. He would have to totally transform his offense. Now Hawkins is the real deal and his shot is so pure. NBA is about creating your offense and shooting. Both of those things AJ lacks.

Reaction Score
Yes that sequence when Auburn was a turnover machine I feel we go up 20 there.

People on here were saying Hawkins looked like he might of hurt his ankle and I could understand if that was the reason he sat so much in the 2nd but if he was fine, it blows my mind why he rode the bench so much. Yeah the turnover sucked but what are you going to do, I'm glad the team embraced him knowing how hard he took it. This team has so much firepower but the sky is the limit if hawkins can develop rapidly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom