Hawaii Tips | The Boneyard

Hawaii Tips

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Looking for advice. Never been. Wife wants to go for her 40th (it will be in like 2 years) but I'm already planning (and saving, lol). From what I'm seeing since I started researching, it's best to fly out of Boston or NYC, as opposed to Bradley. The flights are cheaper and there are more options for times and 1-stop/nonstop flights. Also seems like we want to avoid the Honolulu area, so leaning towards Maui or the Big Island (but probably Maui). Anyone been? What do you think? Tips?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I wouldn't "avoid" Honolulu, it's a good place for trips to Pearl Harbor, Diamondhead, Waikiki, etc. It wouldn't be the highlight of your trip, but it's not like being in hell (although all the street names sound the same, lol). Besides, you get to see the spectacles of ridiculously ornate and meticulously managed Japanese and Chinese weddings.

I'd spend most of your time on one or two other islands. I actually got married there at the end of a work trip centered in Honolulu, stayed in Lanai at Manele Bay for first few nights (before Larry Ellison bought the island), got married in Maui, then ended with a few days on the Big Island. It was all enjoyable, although we were getting tired of the native food by the end of our 10 days.

Highlights were snorkeling on the Big Island, golfing where the rock outcrops are lava and in what seemed like Jurassic Park (Ko'olau), driving thru the former Dole pineapple fields in Lanai, Pearl Harbor, hellicoptering over active lava flows on the Big Island, and sharing the ferry from Lanai to Maui with goats and chickens. Didn't spend much time in Maui, but we're not the kind of folks who just lay on a beach, and there didn't seem a ton of stuff to do. Didn't get to Kauai, but I've heard great things. By far we enjoyed the Big Island the most due to the diversity of the place (and an actual great steakhouse!).

The key tip I have is that if you're going snorkeling, remove any rings, especially your wedding ring, lest it fall off your finger, like mine did. Not a way to start a marriage, lol.

Reaction Score
You need to go for 10 days minimum. The flight there is a full day with time change and you'll have jet lag the first couple nights for sure (and be up all night when you come home).

If it's 10 days, I'd limit it to 2 islands, if you want to do 3 islands then go for 2 weeks. Packing up and puddle jumping, checking in and getting acclimated cuts into your day time.

I don't know what you like to do. Oahu is a city. Kauai and the big island are super chill and calm. Maui is in the middle. And, yes. Start saving now. Everything is super expensive.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Still on my bucket list, mostly because of the time commitment to do it right (getting married on Martha's Vineyard added another day to the travel, too). Wanted to go there for our honeymoon but couldn't do more than an eight-day trip at the time. Chose Costa Rica instead because it had a lot of the same physical features, was much closer, and for half the price we stayed in the best places in the country and ate and drank like royalty.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Still on my bucket list, mostly because of the time commitment to do it right (getting married on Martha's Vineyard added another day to the travel, too). Wanted to go there for our honeymoon but couldn't do more than an eight-day trip at the time. Chose Costa Rica instead because it had a lot of the same physical features, was much closer, and for half the price we stayed in the best places in the country and ate and drank like royalty.

Have never really seriously considered Hawaii because the Caribbean is so much easier from this coast. I know that simplistic, and I'd appreciate the volcano and beauty of Kauai, as well as cultural elements. But if you're beaching? It seems like it's not worth it. Friends have gone to Costa Rica and loved it. It's easier to get to the Azores than Hawaii, and I'm considering that. Not to derail this, but I sometimes wonder if people are aware of the Azores. Top Ten Places to Travel | Visit Azores

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Have never really seriously considered Hawaii because the Caribbean is so much easier from this coast. I know that simplistic, and I'd appreciate the volcano and beauty of Kauai, as well as cultural elements. But if you're beaching? It seems like it's not worth it. Friends have gone to Costa Rica and loved it. It's easier to get to the Azores than Hawaii, and I'm considering that. Not to derail this, but I sometimes wonder if people are aware of the Azores. Top Ten Places to Travel | Visit Azores
Tell me about it. My wife just won’t shut up about Hawaii. It’s like she just wants to say she’s been there. I keep telling her that all we do is beach, eat, and drink anyways, so let’s go to the Caribbean. Unfortunately, we’ve already done Puerto Rico three times and St. Thomas. I was looking up costs the other night. Looks like $4K for 2 people for hotel/air/5 nights. That’s about double the price of a Caribbean trip. No me gusta. However, I am starting to care less about money and more about experiences, so I’m starting to come around to Hawaii. Probably going to do it. Life is short.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Tell me about it. My wife just won’t shut up about Hawaii. It’s like she just wants to say she’s been there. I keep telling her that all we do is beach, eat, and drink anyways, so let’s go to the Caribbean. Unfortunately, we’ve already done Puerto Rico three times and St. Thomas. I was looking up costs the other night. Looks like $4K for 2 people for hotel/air/5 nights. That’s about double the price of a Caribbean trip. No me gusta. However, I am starting to care less about money and more about experiences, so I’m starting to come around to Hawaii. Probably going to do it. Life is short.
Google pictures of the Azores and see what she thinks.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Honestly, I wouldn't go back. Definitely a "been there, done that" kind of place. Also have no use for the Caribbean. other than I want to get to Cuba someday. As I mentioned in my first post, we're not beach people, and other than snorkeling and our actual wedding ceremony, never went near a beach the entire trip. There is plenty to do, especially on Big Island and Oahu, but you can pretty much do most everything on a single trip leaving no reason to go back. If one golfs or is into ecotourism, it's spectacular, but you're probably right on the beach thing, a beach is a beach is a beach. Still, I'd go once if you're into seeing things you're unlikely to see anywhere else on the planet.

Reaction Score
I would echo the sentiments on Pearl Harbor...very tastefully done and informative. If you are any kind of history or military buff it is a must do. Not too far from the airport either if you are only spending a day on Oahu.
Our youngster was 4 at the time we went so most of the rest of our activities were kid friendly. Highly recommend Hy's Steakhouse (Honolulu) if you have the time as well...as good as any of the top steak places in NYC.

Reaction Score
If you are going to stay on a resort? Sure. But I've been to St Maarten, St Thomas and Aruba as well as 4 of the Hawaiian islands. In the Caribbean, off the resorts they are basically 3rd world countries with a couple other sightseeing areas. Hawaii is somewhere you don't want to spend any time on the resort.

Case in point. On Maui, we took a tour to see the sun rise at the top of Mt Haleakala. Rode bikes down the mountain (no pedaling, all downhill), stopped for breakfast, then down to a secluded beach where we swam and relaxed. The scenery over that 3-4 hrs was amazing. On Kauai, we took a torpedo boat along the Napali coastline. You can google pictures of that area. You're just not seeing anything like that in the Dominican Republic.

Reaction Score
Always bring earplugs because you never know when you're gonna have the urge to just jump off the water.

Big Ear have providers there that can fit, mold and make you custom earplugs if ever you'll need a pair.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom