Has UConn Athletic Department Issued a Statement on What They Are Doing as far as Realignment Activity? | The Boneyard

Has UConn Athletic Department Issued a Statement on What They Are Doing as far as Realignment Activity?

Reaction Score
UConn Athletic Department needs to be on top of realignment activity before decisions are made. Should be in close contact with members and officials at PAC 12, B12, B10, ACC and SEC. The last time we messed up big time and let Louisville take our spot in the ACC. We should hold UConn and state officials completely accountable. This is our chance. Just waiting till the end may not be our best position. We want to be seen as being desired by more than one conference. Even if the end goal is the remains of the ACC.

Reaction Score
Why would they? What happens when nothing comes of it? Just piss off the Big East for no reason? Just to make a handful of unreasonable fans happy? You really think they haven't been trying to find a new home?

Reaction Score
I'd rather they say nothing and work behind the scenes.
Isn't that what happened in 2012? How did that go? Boneyarders and fans should not be afraid of holding state employees accountable.

Reaction Score
Why would they? What happens when nothing comes of it? Just piss off the Big East for no reason? Just to make a handful of unreasonable fans happy? You really think they haven't been trying to find a new home?
The same logic could be used among PAC 12 members. Don't do anything you may anger the current conference. What a joke! The sooner we can leave the so-called Big East the better.

Reaction Score
UConn Athletic Department needs to be on top of realignment activity before decisions are made. Should be in close contact with members and officials at PAC 12, B12, B10, ACC and SEC. The last time we messed up big time and let Louisville take our spot in the ACC. We should hold UConn and state officials completely accountable. This is our chance. Just waiting till the end may not be our best position. We want to be seen as being desired by more than one conference. Even if the end goal is the remains of the ACC.
What kind of statement can they make right now?

You have to believe that DB and even coaches like Geno & Mora are calling anyone they can in their networks to find out what's going on.

There are likely 2 problems with that. I don't think ANYBODY really knows what going on right now and if/when things start happening anything related to a UConn move requires a handful of other moves to happen first. No conference is adding UConn as an initial move.

It makes no sense to p*ss off your current conference mates by announcing you are looking for a way out. Especially after they had such trepidation when UConn came that they added hefty fees if UConn wants out

Reaction Score
Benedict was very quiet with the Big East move. Very upset when some pipsqeak from StJohn's dripped the news.
The last two big ones OU/UT & USC/UCLA) were kept under wraps for a long time.
I'm sure Benedict & the higher-ups have had many meetings with different scenarios.
I think we have to wait for ND to decide.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
It's likely the ACC survives this round at this point. The best thing the Big East could do is add Gonzaga.

Reaction Score
If you are an ACC school, you are stuck in limbo. Let's assume for a minute that the GOR is ironclad until 2036. You are stuck in limbo until 2036 (or a few years prior when schools announce they are leaving). Whether you are a power school like Clemson or just lucky to be there like Wake Forest, you know that what exists now in the ACC is only temporary. For fans of Stranger Things, if you are an ACC school, you are trapped in the Upside Down.

How tense it must be to be an ACC school right now. Even if the GOR is ironclad, you are simply delaying the inevitable.

Reaction Score
Yes, rest assured, UConn is monitoring the situation.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If you are an ACC school, you are stuck in limbo. Let's assume for a minute that the GOR is ironclad until 2036. You are stuck in limbo until 2036 (or a few years prior when schools announce they are leaving). Whether you are a power school like Clemson or just lucky to be there like Wake Forest, you know that what exists now in the ACC is only temporary. For fans of Stranger Things, if you are an ACC school, you are trapped in the Upside Down.

How tense it must be to be an ACC school right now. Even if the GOR is ironclad, you are simply delaying the inevitable.

A lot can happen between now and 2036.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

You have me convinced. UConn should announce it is joining BOTH the SEC and Big 10. That would be the smart move, right?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
The same logic could be used among PAC 12 members. Don't do anything you may anger the current conference. What a joke! The sooner we can leave the so-called Big East the better.

Err, except nobody in our conference has left. And no indy's for football have joined a conference. Other than that, exactly the same :confused:

Reaction Score
Out of respect to the Big East conference UCONN should keep its desire to move up on the down low. Of course they are trying behind the scenes. Benedict and Mora have both hinted that our time as a football independent may not last for long. They seemed to have been aware that a shakeup was going to occur this year.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I would be stunned if we hear anything for quite some time.

I know that there are enough achievers in the athletic department that the goal (at least in their eyes) is to build enough over the next few years that we would actually be in the conversation.

Unfortunately, within our state government, our school's administration and even our fan base there are significant contingents that despise the idea of the school having ambitions.

There will be a battle between both sides. Hopefully those with ambitions win that battle and hopefully the end game of super conference expansion doesn't occur at a point where our ambitions get derailed.

Reaction Score

If you aint first, you're last. ACC limbo probably isn't that bad considering it's a nice conference to be in for the next 14 years. So they don't have the same opulence as the SEC, oh well. They're not starving either. And everything is temporary. The folks making the decisions today will be dead in 20 years. He knows changes aren't permanent, but change is.

Reaction Score
I’m sure it’s not enough for some but…

Alternate access link here

-> “I don’t think you can ever be comfortable,” athletic director David Benedict told Hearst Connecticut Media. “The nature of the landscape of college athletics right now, I don’t think anybody is comfortable, whether it’s conference realignment or the transformation that needs to take place in the NCAA.

“Just like we proactively made a decision to change conferences, I do think we certainly feel like we’re in more control of where we stand, versus (being in the American). While it was a competitive conference in a lot of ways, there was nobody committed to staying there. Everyone was always looking for something different. It was more of a matter of opportunity.”

Certainly, Benedict admits that UConn’s fan base and coaches are more comfortable and confident with where the athletic program currently sits.

“However,” he pointed out, “the landscape is changing in lots of different ways. You have to be cognizant of that, and try to manage it in the best way you possibly can, for whatever is best for your institution.” <-

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I’m sure it’s not enough for some but…

Alternate access link here

-> “I don’t think you can ever be comfortable,” athletic director David Benedict told Hearst Connecticut Media. “The nature of the landscape of college athletics right now, I don’t think anybody is comfortable, whether it’s conference realignment or the transformation that needs to take place in the NCAA.

“Just like we proactively made a decision to change conferences, I do think we certainly feel like we’re in more control of where we stand, versus (being in the American). While it was a competitive conference in a lot of ways, there was nobody committed to staying there. Everyone was always looking for something different. It was more of a matter of opportunity.”

Certainly, Benedict admits that UConn’s fan base and coaches are more comfortable and confident with where the athletic program currently sits.

“However,” he pointed out, “the landscape is changing in lots of different ways. You have to be cognizant of that, and try to manage it in the best way you possibly can, for whatever is best for your institution.” <-

And that’s why UCLA gets invited to the Big Ten. But remember this: the Bruins’ most success on the gridiron the past 20 years came with Jim Mora on the sidelines.

Mora, of course, now coaches UConn. Improving the Husky program is the best way for UConn to at least position itself better in those conference realignment conversations

You heard it here first, UConn to the big 10!

Reaction Score
UConn would be monitoring the ND situation and the ACC situation. If ND decides to join the B1G, then ACC will get into scramble mode for survival.

If FOX can pull a couple ACC programs to the B1G, then massive chaos will be upon ACC with many schools acting like rats on a sinking ship.

UConn might have an opportunity on the B12 and PAC-12 front, but the best opportunity might be with the ACC leftovers.

Reaction Score
I don't it like when university administrators who need to act say they are monitoring something.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom