Has the admissions gotten worse in the past eight years at UConn | The Boneyard

Has the admissions gotten worse in the past eight years at UConn

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
That is what Randy Edsall has stated in this article:

During one weekly media session, Edsall (off the podium) talked about how he spent UConn's first bye week of that season talking to admissions. His message: More stringent admittance requirements were imperiling the program.
Edsall said, essentially, the university was beginning to require its prospective athletes to have higher grade-point averages and higher standardized test scores "than a few years ago," on top of a more rigorous "second review" process for athletes who didn't meet the increased standards.
Later, Edsall showed me the "Admissions Athletic Review Procedures for Fall 2011," dated Sept. 23 of that year, detailing the requirements. Edsall said even players who earned their degrees in previous seasons probably wouldn't be admitted under this new plan. He said that making a kid wait on UConn was recruiting suicide because they'd just go somewhere else. Moreover, he wasn't sure other schools in the league were as discerning.
Edsall was most irritated, though, at having the conversation with admissions without Hathaway. He believes Hathaway should have been there to support him and perhaps keep discussions heading toward compromise. He believed he'd earned that much, given how the football program was lauded frequently — and nationally — for academic achievement.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So Randy, you wait three recruiting cycles before planting this story with BCmoran of all people? You should have waged war on this issue the day you took over and if it didn’t change in the spring of 2017 - gone public with your war then. Come on.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
i don’t think the article matches what the OP headline says. He isn’t complaining about admissions now....they are just talking about why he left the first time. The issue now is leaving the AAC. They are saying similar to admission issues in 2011, the administration is setting RE up to fail by leaving the conference.

it’s a weak comment...the BE decision only happened a couple months ago. this program was in the tank before that.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I want to know - did Randy order the code red here for this story to be printed?

Reaction Score
Ok....The reason Randy left was b/c of admissions standards. Get out of here with that.

That's why he left. He honestly believed that his commitment to academic achievement should have earned him the benefit of the doubt with admissions and he simply wanted his boss there with him for support. He got neither.

Reaction Score
There are a million ways I can criticize Edsall but no way is UConn making his job any easier. I sit in Florida and just wish somehow I could be a Gator or Nole fan but my heart won’t let me. The fact that my own school breaks my heart every day is becoming intolerable.

Just fix the damn football program, fill the seats and reap the benefits of a healthy and engaged fan base. Why is that hard? Sports saved UConn and made it an elite public university. Learn from that. Make it happen. The administration is so stupid and ignorant.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Ok....The reason Randy left was b/c of admissions standards. Get out of here with that.

That's why he left. He honestly believed that his commitment to academic achievement should have earned him the benefit of the doubt with admissions and he simply wanted his boss there with him for support. He got neither.
He told a bunch of us that back then (Hathaway not helping was a huge sticking point). Herbst knew the academic standards were of paramount importance but didn't help RE out here. PP had the same problem as there were kids PP couldn't recruit that Temple was getting commitments from (in-state) and everyone knew it was a big problem except Herbst.

I don't know the new UConn Pres at all so I can't comment on his understanding of the situation or even if he has one yet.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
There are a million ways I can criticize Edsall but no way is UConn making his job any easier. I sit in Florida and just wish somehow I could be a Gator or Nole fan but my heart won’t let me. The fact that my own school breaks my heart every day is becoming intolerable.

Just fix the damn football program, fill the seats and reap the benefits of a healthy and engaged fan base. Why is that hard? Sports saved UConn and made it an elite public university. Learn from that. Make it happen. The administration is so stupid and ignorant.
There is no desire from the state or the school to "fix" the football program. It's too difficult and too expensive.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It’s the hardest it’s ever been to get into UConn. Clown question bro.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom