Has Coach Hurley revolutionized college coaching ? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Has Coach Hurley revolutionized college coaching ?

Reaction Score
Nothing about his approach is revolutionary, it's the opposite. He's often asked in interviews about his old-school mentality. The miracle is that he can find kids in this day and age who still seek and want and need that type of coaching. I loved his interview where he said they avoid kids who bounced around to prep school after prep school. Avoid the kids whose parents are an obvious problem.

Strategically, nothing they're doing is that wild either, it's just a perfect fit player-wise combined with execution that you simply don't see at the college level. It's why Underwood and Painter said "we've seen teams run the same stuff" because it's true. It's not really the X's and O's, it's the execution. College teams have ballstoppers or low basketball IQ guys or selfish gunners. We were so good this year because our collective IQ was as high as I've ever seen in college. I can't believe how many games we had with less than a handful of turnovers too.

It's not easy to copy, as we may learn firsthand next season.

Reaction Score
He built a network around him that will not easily be replaced. Before the 2023 championship (what as that? five? I lost count...) he made calls to Jay Wright, Tom Izzo, Mike Krzyzewski and then spoke to Jim Calhoun and Geno and no doubt his dad and brother. I'll bet guys like Pitino and Calipari are so full of themselves that they'd never take advice from any of those guys. And yes, his staff is off the charts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32
Top Bottom