Has a Late Season Transformation Already Happened? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Has a Late Season Transformation Already Happened?

Reaction Score
Watched the replay of the Xavier game. As many have noted, the defense is playing very well. The talking, switching are paying huge dividends. We are controlling the boards.

But did you watch the offense. The directing players on the floor to specific positions has stopped. It's now eye contact and familiarity with each other that is directing things. Players now know each others moves. That one pass from Liv up top to a backdoor cutting Paige was a thing of beauty. Xavier could not stop it. They had no chance. And there are other examples. Reminds me a little of the national championship game in Philly against Tennessee. UConn ran backdoor cuts all night and Tennessee couldn't stop it.

Kudos to the team and the fantastic job Geno, CD, Shea and Jamelle are doing.
UConn is rated #1 in the country defensively by Massey, Stanford is #2, & Baylor #3.

Reaction Score
Would second the motion that UConn's defense is in Playoff form. Appears repeatable against any level of competition. Not so sure on offense. While most of the team has looked great the past 3-4 games, its been against low tier teams - not sure if we can project these same offensive results against a top 15 team. Some combinations working better than others, some players have taken a step back and seem hesitate to shoot. Would take more games against top 10 teams to know. Overall, playoffs likely to come down to matchups. UConn can match up against anyone so should be interesting drive to the FInal Four.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think we're on the right track. I still have a few trepidations. I don't think a couple of the players are all there yet.

Reaction Score
I think we're on the right track. I still have a few trepidations. I don't think a couple of the players are all there yet.
Me too. Which ones for you?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Me too. Which ones for you?
I was gonna be coy but why start now. I'm not sold on Williams yet. And Westbrook has to be more consistent, though that could be due to injury. And Ono doesn't have to shoot bombs every time she is open. Especially with a toe on the line.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
It's the evolution of this team. The basis was there is the beginning. It needed time to grow and mature.
huskeynut, love it when a poster gets to the heart of the matter in a few short sentences. Often less is more.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was gonna be coy but why start now. I'm not sold on Williams yet. And Westbrook has to be more consistent, though that could be due to injury. And Ono doesn't have to shoot bombs every time she is open. Especially with a toe on the line.
With CW and Ono, I think it’s just a matter of mindset, that they stay aggressive and embrace the idea they are part of the leadership of the team. I am fine with Westbrook in her role to provide whatever the team needs to win, it’s not all about how many points an individual scores.

Reaction Score
I feel better about CW than I have in a long time but I still worry about the score first mentality and the fact that if there is nothing there she will put the ball on the floor and try to make something out of it. It slows the offense down. She is much more effective in transition, in the flow of the offense and moving without the ball. She is also much better at non 3 point shots. Evina and Nika, I would like to see shoot and make 3s each game from here on in and to be scoring threats also. I also would like Aubrey to have a solid all around "Aubrey" game tomorrow to build on. ONO has never passed better and you are right that she is much better from 15 feet than from 20 feet but she is more effective scoring primarily underneath. So my 3 "still to be individually even more transformed players" are Evina, Nika and Aubrey. Of course, all of our players are evolving all the time but if those 3 do so even more, we won't lose. Anyway, let's look at the big picture. This team is such a pleasure to watch now.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The season ultimately rides or dies with how ONO and CW play against an elite opponent. I think that Geno hit on a masterstroke by adding to their games- ONO passing and CW penetrating and playing in the passing lanes. Building on those successes will help the rest of their game in an Elite 8 of Final 4 game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom