Hartford Courant Editorial Board: "With coronavirus raging, Connecticut needs to shut down football at UConn and the state’s high schools this fall" | The Boneyard

Hartford Courant Editorial Board: "With coronavirus raging, Connecticut needs to shut down football at UConn and the state’s high schools this fall"

Reaction Score
I don't expect the post to last long before the same stale partisan arguments arise and it gets deep sixed, but people should be aware the call is out there and it will be picked up nationally...

Alternate Access Link

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Voices inside...voices outside...games (figuratively) to be played...strategies in motion

It could be we are already set to cancel fall football, we just are waiting as to not be the first FBS program to make such an announcement. Plus, AD David Benedict probably is enjoying the feeler calls from the ACC about being a plus 1 to a couple teams (BC, Syracuse, Pitt) and/or the same for the AAC as Aresco has already indicated they are looking to better regionalize their scheduling (UConn could play Temple and Navy via bus).

Reaction Score
Why just pick on football if Covid 19 is "raging", why are amateur sports being played all around the state and why are restaurants open for indoor dining, have some guts editorial board and demand a return to the shutdown we had in April, I mean its "raging" right? or is football just a big fat easy target for you to go after, tough guy?

Reaction Score
Why just pick on football if Covid 19 is "raging", why are amateur sports being played all around the state and why are restaurants open for indoor dining, have some guts editorial board and demand a return to the shutdown we had in April, I mean its "raging" right? or is football just a big fat easy target for you to go after, tough guy?
>>... And it’s why football is a particularly bad idea. That’s not to say soccer shouldn’t take the season off. It should as well.<<

Reaction Score
(UConn could play Temple and Navy via bus).

I think putting the team on a bus to Temple of Navy would make no sense. There is no way a bus will make the trip to Annapolis and unlikely to Phildelphia without at least one stop. Are you going to let the entire team into a rest area to use rest rooms? Makes much more sense safety wise to fly to those games. Much easier to keep the team isolated from the general public, assuming they fly charter.

A trip to Amherst or other short trips is a different story, the bus should not have to make any stops onceit leaves Storrs.

Reaction Score
I think putting the team on a bus to Temple of Navy would make no sense. There is no way a bus will make the trip to Annapolis and unlikely to Phildelphia without at least one stop. Are you going to let the entire team into a rest area to use rest rooms? Makes much more sense safety wise to fly to those games. Much easier to keep the team isolated from the general public, assuming they fly charter.

A trip to Amherst or other short trips is a different story, the bus should not have to make any stops onceit leaves Storrs.
Three buses and a semi I would think. And buses have toilets.

Reaction Score
If the Bluejays had decided to play their MLB games in Hartford (the Governor did try to sell them on the idea just days ago) I wonder if this editorial board would be demanding a shutdown of that today? Somehow I doubt they would be.

The kids in that picture above are 1000% right. No sports, no school.

Reaction Score

Yea... here's the quote from that article last week:

>>“There’s only two games on our schedule that we could have,” he said. “It’s UMass and Army.”<<

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Dropping in again for quick reference...
Radical rescramble:

• 9/03 - UMass
  • 09/12 - at Illinois (Canceled) - replaced with BC (who drops a visit to Kansas)
  • 09/19 - at Virginia - replaced with Navy (who is dropped by ND)
  • 09/26 - Indiana (Canceled) - replaced with Syracuse
  • 10/03 - Old Dominion
  • 10/10 - Maine (Canceled) - replaced with TBD FCS or simply left open in going to an 11 game season
  • 10/24 - at Ole Miss - replaced with Temple
  • 10/31 - Liberty
  • 11/07 - at North Carolina - I expect UNC will drop us to keep their Auburn game. Replace with any Ohio MAC school.
  • 11/14 - at San Jose State - replaced with Buffalo (replaces canceled Ohio State game)
  • 11/21 - Middle Tennessee - probably correct to assume they never make it to CT. maybe replace with another FCS
  • 11/28 - Army

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Temple non conference....looks like Temple will have that Miami game canceled..... We make sense as a replacement.

Syracuse non conf schedule - we sub well for Western Mich.
BC non conf schedule - we sub well for Kansas under the idea of reduced travel.

Reaction Score
Dropping in again for quick reference...
Radical rescramble:

• 9/03 - UMass
  • 09/12 - at Illinois (Canceled) - replaced with BC (who drops a visit to Kansas)
  • 09/19 - at Virginia - replaced with Navy (who is dropped by ND)
  • 09/26 - Indiana (Canceled) - replaced with Syracuse
  • 10/03 - Old Dominion
  • 10/10 - Maine (Canceled) - replaced with TBD FCS or simply left open in going to an 11 game season
  • 10/24 - at Ole Miss - replaced with Temple
  • 10/31 - Liberty
  • 11/07 - at North Carolina - I expect UNC will drop us to keep their Auburn game. Replace with any Ohio MAC school.
  • 11/14 - at San Jose State - replaced with Buffalo (replaces canceled Ohio State game)
  • 11/21 - Middle Tennessee - probably correct to assume they never make it to CT. maybe replace with another FCS
  • 11/28 - Army

Navy will probably not be able to play anyone outside the AAC except Army. The AAC is strongly considering following the lead of other conferences and limiting OOC play.

With limited/no crowds allowed, it doesn’t make sense to play those games unless the AAC team is getting a big payday from a P5 team.

Obviously, Army/Navy is special.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Navy will probably not be able to play anyone outside the AAC except Army. The AAC is strongly considering following the lead of other conferences and limiting OOC play.

With limited/no crowds allowed, it doesn’t make sense to play those games unless the AAC team is getting a big payday from a P5 team.

Obviously, Army/Navy is special.
Aresco said they were looking at a modified schedule that wasn’t exclusively conf based - but rather regionally based (because AAC schools are so damn far apart).

Of course this is all just academic fun because this season isn’t happening.

Reaction Score
>>... And it’s why football is a particularly bad idea. That’s not to say soccer shouldn’t take the season off. It should as well.<<
EVERYONE JUST STOP! Players have been working out on campus for a month.

As far as we can tell no positive test. Seems like what ever they are doing is working so far. Right now UCONN Division of Athletics vs. the virus better than the rest of Connecticut! Let them do their job and let the players play. If we get a positive everything will shut down for 2-3 weeks the players will be quarantined and then life goes on again.

Reaction Score

EVERYONE JUST STOP! Players have been working out on campus for a month.
You realize that is a direct quote from the editorial - right?

Reaction Score
You realize that is a direct quote from the article - right?
Response not directed at you! Just in general! Everyone let it go until there is an issue and then hit pause! No time in history have we stop everything for a health issue and we are all still here talking about it.

Reaction Score

I ake the trip from DC to Old Saybrook a couple of times a year. It's not a big chore for me and I'm 68 and driving. I think a 20 year old listening to music or playing video games in a large bus seat seat could survive.

Reaction Score
If the Bluejays had decided to play their MLB games in Hartford (the Governor did try to sell them on the idea just days ago) I wonder if this editorial board would be demanding a shutdown of that today? Somehow I doubt they would be.

The kids in that picture above are 1000% right. No sports, no school.

Comparing a billion dollar corporation and its capabilities isn't nearly on par with a college program. MLB has money to burn to keep their players safe; and we can see they are off to a stellar start.

It is possible to support the Jay's in Hartford and the idea is shutting down college athletics.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Why I won't renew my subscription "which was a gift" when it runs out in August.

The only part worth the paper is the sports section the rest is good for birdcages to clean up droppings

Reaction Score
Comparing a billion dollar corporation and its capabilities isn't nearly on par with a college program. MLB has money to burn to keep their players safe; and we can see they are off to a stellar start.

It is possible to support the Jay's in Hartford and the idea is shutting down college athletics.

You do realize MLB doesn’t have as much “money to burn” as you think that’s why they’re cutting 44 teams from the minors

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom