Hartford Athletic - 2021 | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Hartford Athletic - 2021

Reaction Score
Yeah, they got real salty when their proposals got rejected. TJ Clynch has been running a smear campaign against Mandell on his Civic Mind website ever since. I skim over it every now and again for a good laugh.

Hartford is more than capable of supporting the NWSL. Now all we're going to get is a pro-am squad dressed in green and blue.
While he may be right that Mandell had connections, both men are proof grudges only drag you down. Maybe people with grudges against the NHL can learn something.

If I was Sarwar, I would have abandoned a team in Hartford, sold them to be moved, or move them himself. I don't think there's room (aka enough interest) for 2 soccer teams in Hartford. No one cares for HCFC here, it seems.

Reaction Score
While he may be right that Mandell had connections, both men are proof grudges only drag you down.
Did I mention TJ also tried to sue the city of Hartford? His company was selected as the “preferred vendor” in 2012 to renovate Dillon but Hartford eventually went with another company.
No one cares for HCFC here, it seems.
HCFC is beyond irrelevant at this point.

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I always thought it was weird how you and your buddies love talking about HA on a UConn message board when HA obviously has nothing to do with UConn. Heck, the HA group on Facebook is a better gathering place. lol
First off, what are you doing on a UConn message board? All I see you doing is ranting about color schemes.....secondly, if you took a few seconds to pull your head out of your color scheme rant, you'd see that there are tons of boards for non-UConn related topics.

Carry on though throwing around broad generalizations that I'm a huge HA fan who hangs out here to talk about them. I come to talk about UConn and stop by this board to check out soccer related posts. I have stopped looking at this thread but you quoted my post.

Reaction Score
First off, what are you doing on a UConn message board?
UConn alum '08. What about you?
I have stopped looking at this thread but you quoted my post.
Yeah, I guess a thread would become less interesting when someone comes along and speaks out against your dead hockey team.

Reaction Score
I have stopped looking at this thread but you quoted my post.
If you stopped looking at the thread, you wouldn't have seen his reply to your post!

Welcome back!

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
UConn alum '08. What about you?

Yeah, I guess a thread would become less interesting when someone comes along and speaks out against your dead hockey team.
'03

Reaction Score
Valparaiso has been debating the school's nickname for decades.

Here, if you mention Hartford Athletic's colors over a few days, worst stuff ever posted on the Boneyard.

Sums up how weak and emo some of you are. While soccer fans in other soccer-mad countries have hooligans. The closest we'll ever have to hooligans are wannabe macho message board posters.

Reaction Score
Surprise, surprise. The Detroit Pistons are wearing just blue and white uniforms now, with only the Pistons logo showing red.

Golly gee willigers. This Whalers mourning has gotten so old.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
HCFC actually started out strong but have floundered their opportunity so far.
How do you figure? I sent them my email years ago and only heard from them once. They were not a professional outfit.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
On top of that, there's no pro team with only navy blue and white as their colors.
You would still be complaining if they named the team Hartford St. Germain.

1628709624143.png

Reaction Score
I love the Whalers homage and the colors. I enjoyed the Whalers, it’s something cool from my childhood. It links HA to history that is bigger than itself and it doesn’t do it in a cheap way.

I don’t know why the stupid AHL team switched, my guess is that as always it wasn’t branding that was holding it back.

The people who are complaining about this are clearly mentally ill and need professional help.

The AHL team switched when Howard Baldwin, former founder/owner of the Whalers from the beginning until 1988, made a deal with the Rangers (whose parent MSG owns the team officially) to take over the operations of the team.

Obviously it did not end successfully since the team is the Wolf Pack again. Baldwin thought it might boost attendance and buzz to make the change, and had some serious ambition (organizing stuff like the Whale Bowl) to promote hockey throughout the state in the hopes of drawing attention to the city and state for a potential expansion or relocation to bring back the Old Whalers, but no amount of branding was really going to change the overall second tier product on the ice. It seemed clear by the end he’d over extended the operation and was in a ton of debt, and the Rangers pulled the plug on the deal.

Reaction Score
How do you figure? I sent them my email years ago and only heard from them once. They were not a professional outfit.
That's because they're an amateur squad being run by volunteers. I don't think the coach even gets paid for what he does.

Reaction Score
You would still be complaining if they named the team Hartford St. Germain.

. View attachment 69121
I think you missed the red...

Hartford Saint Germain? Dude, this is America.

How about FC Huys de Hoop? That creative enough? Might have to throw in orange with the navy blue, and maybe silver. Is that Whalers enough? At least navy blue and silver are there.

Reaction Score
I just know they were attracting decent crowds before HA came along.

Anyhow, enough from me. I need to direct my attention to more constructive activities.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Anyhow, enough from me. I need to direct my attention to more constructive activities.
I'll believe it when I don't see it, Butch.

Reaction Score
I just now noticed that the once proud NC FC, originally the Railhawks demoted itself to League One. League One is barely even professional, NC is just going to play their oldest Academy kids.

Really kind of sad.

Reaction Score
I regularly wear a Hartford Whaler logo hat. It has been recognized and commented on from The Santa Monica Fairmont to the Parthenon in Athens, Greece. Say what you will, but the Whalers live.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I just now noticed that the once proud NC FC, originally the Railhawks demoted itself to League One. League One is barely even professional, NC is just going to play their oldest Academy kids.
That who I was talking about when I mentioned teams that self-relegated.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I regularly wear a Hartford Whaler logo hat. It has been recognized and commented on from The Santa Monica Fairmont to the Parthenon in Athens, Greece. Say what you will, but the Whalers live.
I compare it to the Brooklyn Dodgers. Nobody busts balls about Brooklyn fans.

Reaction Score
That who I was talking about when I mentioned teams that self-relegated.

So did Richmond and Rochester planned to do that but they don’t even exist. Lower division teams are like fruit flies.

Reaction Score
I compare it to the Brooklyn Dodgers. Nobody busts balls about Brooklyn fans.
Great point. The Dodgers will never leave Brooklyn. Their ghost remains.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So did Richmond and Rochester planned to do that but they don’t even exist. Lower division teams are like fruit flies.
That's why pro/rel needs to start from the top.

Reaction Score
Just wondering about what the USL people are thinking now that their sugar daddy has launched its own D3 league to compete against the USL League One.

Given that the attendance of the MLS USL teams has numbered in the dozens rather than the hundreds it wouldn’t seem to be much of a threat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom