Harper vs Lawson. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Harper vs Lawson.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Here's a interesting question. Which was the better point guard? Harper won 3 NCAA titles.

Reaction Score
So many i heard , we heard lol Kara got interviewed but the AD at the time from what "I heard" wanted a more homegrown Pat style person .........Some are happy some are content from what "I heard" lol
Maria C. shared the hiring process details about how Senior Associate AD Angie Boyd Keck and past women’s AD Joan Cronan did all the heavy lifting and interviewing with AD Phillip Fulmer, coming to assist with final interviews at NCAAT.
I was rooting for Kara but UT picked Kellie.

Reaction Score
Harpers recruiting has been subpar so far, but yeah I like your enthusiasm. Vol fans have an abundance of that. I like Rae although sometimes she needs to be reined in. Keys? Come on mannnn!! Seriously?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
^ blah blah blah ^ Harpers recruiting has been subpar so far, but yeah I like your enthusiasm. Vol fans have an abundance of that. I like Rae although sometimes she needs to be reined in. Keys? Come on mannnn!! Seriously?
This reply directed to me? I wasn’t rooting for Harper but that’s who Tenn picked, not thrilled with the lack of top 30 players on the team so far too. So you must be directing your sarcasm post to someone else.

Don’t recall many elite WCBB programs who’ve won NCAA titles, winning more title(s) after that winning coach has moved on. This process has been difficult for Tenn and many other programs. Good luck, maybe UConn will break the streak when Geno retires.

Reaction Score
This reply directed to me? I wasn’t rooting for Harper but that’s who Tenn picked, not thrilled with the lack of top 30 players on the team so far too. So you must be directing your sarcasm post to someone else.

Don’t recall many elite WCBB programs who’ve won NCAA titles, winning more title(s) after that winning coach has moved on. This process has been difficult for Tenn and many other programs. Good luck, maybe UConn will break the streak when Geno retires.
Yes.

Reaction Score
Here's a interesting question. Which was the better point guard? Harper won 3 NCAA titles.
Great players don't necessarily make great coaches. Great salesmen don't necessarily make great sales managers. Great NCO's don't necessarily make great officers.

Reaction Score

Pat left in 2012 and Tenn went to four more Sweet 16s (and within that ...3 Elite 8s). Not Titles, but I wouldn't label that difficult or...not elite. Holly didn't have issues recruiting. She had a problem winning and personnel management issues. After Pat left, my opinion is that recruiting has not been Tennessee's biggest obstacle. Keeping recruits and player development has been their biggest problem. The departure list is just too long. After Holly, I don't know if Harper would have been my first choice, but it's her ship to right. So far...they have a single 2022 recruit and I would have a hard time being convinced that this is by design. I don't see a quick reversal so I hope the fan base is patient. Tenn has history and great facilities...so someone better figure out why not many recruits are knocking.

Reaction Score
Pat left in 2012 and Tenn went to four more Sweet 16s (and within that ...3 Elite 8s). Not Titles, but I wouldn't label that difficult or...not elite. Holly didn't have issues recruiting. She had a problem winning and personnel management issues. After Pat left, my opinion is that recruiting has not been Tennessee's biggest obstacle. Keeping recruits and player development has been their biggest problem. The departure list is just too long. After Holly, I don't know if Harper would have been my first choice, but it's her ship to right. So far...they have a single 2022 recruit and I would have a hard time being convinced that this is by design. I don't see a quick reversal so I hope the fan base is patient. Tenn has history and great facilities...so someone better figure out why not many recruits are knocking.
Simple. They needed a high profile coach that the AAU/EYBL circuit and coaches respect. They also need to pay like they care about the tradition of the women’s program.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Harper’s contract was recently extended through 2026 and her base salary is now $750,000 with performance incentives that could raise her total compensation well above that figure. I don’t know whether or not Kara Lawson was offered the job, but she is certainly not estranged from Tennessee. She is currently a member of the University of Tennessee Board of Trustees and will serve in that capacity through the year 2025.

Reaction Score
Simple. They needed a high profile coach that the AAU/EYBL circuit and coaches respect.
5e374fd288d80.image.jpg

Reaction Score
You think she would’ve been a better pick?
I was being sarcastic. Nikki was the worst 'recruiter' at LSU in over 2 decades. The previous coaches had no issues bringing in good players overall. Nikki's teams were feisty defensively and played with great effort but the talent level was extremely low at times and her inability to recruit decent offensive players plagued her entire tenure. I felt she lost a lot of her passion after the first few season's and sorta just coasted since then. She didnt work very hard to fundraise, connect with alumni, and etc. It certainly reflected in the attendance, product, and revenue. It caught up with her in the recent years. Even if she was at Tennessee, she wouldn't have succeeded IMO. There are things that held her back as a college coach that she never was able to overcome. She would make a good assistant coach IMO but not a HC that will get a program over the hump.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom