Happy Earth Day - Artists or Songs Related to the Earth | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Happy Earth Day - Artists or Songs Related to the Earth

UHF

Reaction Score
Marvin Gaye.
Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology).
What's Going On album.

Perfect fit for Earth Day. Lyrics include:

• Where did all the blue skies go? Poison is the wind that blows.
  • Oil wasted on the ocean and upon our seas. Fish full of mercury.
  • Radiation underground and in the sky. Animals and birds who live nearby are dying.

Reaction Score
The song is called Earth Hymn from Manfred Mann Earth Band's album The Good Earth. It dates to about 1970ish. If you were one of the first people to buy the album you found a deed that you could fill out and mail in to officially take ownership of 1 square foot of land on a hillside in Scotland. I bought the album way too late to become a Scottish land owner but it's one of my all time favorite albums. It has one of my all time favorite songs called Be Not to Hard which you can listen to on YouTube if you don't already know it.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The song is called Earth Hymn from Manfred Mann Earth Band's album The Good Earth. It dates to about 1970ish. If you were one of the first people to buy the album you found a deed that you could fill out and mail in to officially take ownership of 1 square foot of land on a hillside in Scotland. I bought the album way too late to become a Scottish land owner but it's one of my all time favorite albums. It has one of my all time favorite songs called Be Not to Hard which you can listen to on YouTube if you don't already know it.

This is SO cool! I'm gonna have to cue up more of them on YT. I've only been familiar with their stuff that got radio play; had no idea they were to a great extent a prog rock band.

Reaction Score
This is SO cool! I'm gonna have to cue up more of them on YT. I've only been familiar with their stuff that got radio play; had no idea they were to a great extent a prog rock band.
I'm sooooo glad you like it, Bigboote! Your comment will have me smiling for days.

For some reason, I've always been a big fan of the more obscure stuff. Maybe it's because I used to listen to WPLR out of New Haven back when I was in high school in the early 70's. They used to play lots of incredible deep cut stuff.

Some of my other obscurish all-time favorites: Shanty by Jonathan Edwards, Celluloid Heroes by the Kinks, In a Broken Dream by a band named Python Lee Jackson (with vocals by Rod Stewart in his pre "If You Think I'm Sexy" days. And Echoes by Pink Floyd, which is one entire side of the Meddle Album. All somewhat to absolutely obscure but also some of my favs. And don't even let me get started on Frank Zappa or I'll be typing for hours!

Reaction Score
I'm sooooo glad you like it, Bigboote! Your comment will have me smiling for days.

For some reason, I've always been a big fan of the more obscure stuff. Maybe it's because I used to listen to WPLR out of New Haven back when I was in high school in the early 70's. They used to play lots of incredible deep cut stuff.
Haha - ok, that seals the deal, I think I'll have to do another of "The Old, The Obscure, and the Forgotten" threads - you should enjoy it. I've done a couple of them in previous years, so this will be version 3. I'll start one here sometime soon whenever it looks like we need a new music thread.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

Some of my other obscurish all-time favorites: Shanty by Jonathan Edwards, Celluloid Heroes by the Kinks, In a Broken Dream by a band named Python Lee Jackson (with vocals by Rod Stewart in his pre "If You Think I'm Sexy" days. And Echoes by Pink Floyd, which is one entire side of the Meddle Album. All somewhat to absolutely obscure but also some of my favs. And don't even let me get started on Frank Zappa or I'll be typing for hours!
Yep, I grew up with WPLR too. I heard Yusef Lateef for the first time on WPLR, launching a prolonged foray into jazz.

I hadn’t thought about Celluloid Heroes in years. I love the Kinks.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

It doesn’t include the word earth but it is more keeping with the earth day theme.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom