Happy 40th The Big East | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Happy 40th The Big East

Reaction Score
Zissou, I'm curious. Why did 'Nova turn down the opportunity to upgrade football and join oBE football?
Oh boy, where to start? I think you are talking about the formal invite of 2010.

Nova and UConn were invited up in the 1990s. UConn moved up and Nova declined. At the time Nova’s stadium was an issue (12,500) and the administration was weak on sports.

By 2010 the Big East was in need of Nova to move up. Nova was invited, but instead of being ready or proactively planning for the potential opportunity, Nova didn’t know how to respond. The AD was a guy promoted up from running the ticket office and was in way over his head. The President (same one as today) was a theatre guy with no interest in sports, and he would openly talk down sports. Having Jay Wright was a very fortunate and lucky position for the basketball program. He built the program in spite of the lack of interest, and had a long leash because of the lack of interest.

Nova decided that it needed to produce a “study“ to respond to the invite. So it studied, and dithered, and discussed, and pondered. For over 6 months. While Nova dithered, the conference needed a member. TCU signed up. With a study complete and a recommendation to Nova’s leadership to accept the invite, a Board of Trustees meeting was set up to rubber stamp the move.

Unfortunately, the President and the AD completely mishandled the process. They were all patting themselves on the back and getting ready to formalize the move up, but they had not stayed close and informed with their conference peers. With TCU signed, the conference need was less. The invite was not still fresh and they didn’t even know it. The plan was to play in the nearby Philadelphia Union stadium (18,000). Pitt, WVU, and Rutgers conspired to withdraw the invite. Pitt was a leader in the politics. At the same time Pitt was screwing up the conf TV deal and also back channeling to the ACC for membership. No honor among conference presidents.

With an embarrassingly stale invite, the Nova BOT cancelled their vote. The rest is history.

Nova had won the FCS title in 2009 and was competitive with FBS programs like Temple.

While other programs in the conference conspired against Nova, the biggest fault in the failed move lies with Nova itself. The leadership was incompetent and fumbled the invite. In hindsight it wasn’t a scandal, because they didn’t care that they mismanaged it. It’s only football.

Nova is lucky to have Jay. The coach always gets credit for a successful program, but in Nova’s case Jay deserves ALL of the credit.

Reaction Score
UConn had no choice but to go independent. The AAC didn't want UConn for football only. Thus, the decision was made to go independent once the Big East move was decided upon. I am as sorry as you are Butch, but it really seems the P5 dream is essentially over.
You couldn't be more incorrect. Sorry to say. But believe as you want. Live as a defeatist, too.

Reaction Score
One man's defeatist is another man's realist.

I would like to live another 25 years....because I recognize the odds involved does not make me a defeatist. But that also doesn't mean that I am giving up on living as best and as long as I can.

Buddy, I think, is right that the odds are long for a P5 invite.....he is just recognizing that.

Reaction Score
UConn had no choice but to go independent. The AAC didn't want UConn for football only. Thus, the decision was made to go independent once the Big East move was decided upon. I am as sorry as you are Butch, but it really seems the P5 dream is essentially over.
It’s really a “no lose” situation. UConn is now in the best position available to UConn. The P5 wasn’t available.

UConn is no worse off to position for future P5. It’s basketball is once again positioned in an elite conference and it’s football schedule is improved.

if the SEC East makes the call to UConn, there is no stopping the move. You cash that lottery ticket.

Reaction Score
I actually agree with Ziss...UConn is not worse off in position for a P5 invite....

If the football program performs.

The Big East is just a platform for basketball which has not much impact on a P5 invite,

Looking at the Final Basketball AP from last season (without tournament)...it appears that the Huskies will have a couple of BE teams to contend with...and UConn will improve in BB.

Reaction Score
One man's defeatist is another man's realist.

I would like to live another 25 years....because I recognize the odds involved does not make me a defeatist. But that also doesn't mean that I am giving up on living as best and as long as I can.

Buddy, I think, is right that the odds are long for a P5 invite.....he is just recognizing that.
He's not right. I am not going to bother to go into how I know.

Stick to FSU, thank you. You are 100% incorrect, as well.

Reaction Score
If it was a do over today...Boston College would not be invited to the ACC.

I am not going to bother to tell you how I know.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom