Hailey Van Lith to LSU | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hailey Van Lith to LSU

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The foul trouble point doesn't make sense. Reese was foul prone while at Maryland in addition to this past season at LSU. Both players can get their defensive opponents in foul trouble as well. Personally it's a wash.

It's also hard to compare these two because they play different styles of basketball based on how their team's offence are set up. LSU ran a lot of their offence through Angel, which wasn't the case for Aaliyah at UConn. Reese wasn't expected to defend the perimeter as much as Aaliyah was. Plus Reese's outside game is still lacking. Let's see how it develops next season and do a comparison then.

Reese shot 9.4 free throws per game compared to 4.1 for Edwards--she's drawling a lot more fouls than Aaliyah does.

In regards to getting into foul trouble, Reese has her moments but it's rare she misses significant playing time or stays off the court long. Edwards has improved in this area looking at season stats--I just recalled her missing significant minutes in several big games (Ohio State/South Carolina). Committing fouls I agree is largely a wash when looking at the numbers on the season.

The players have different skill sets, but while Edwards showed flashes of greatness throughout the year, Reese maintained that level of play and tenacity the entire season which is why I think she's clear cut ahead of Edwards, though Edwards had a great season in her own right. If Edwards can find more consistency then it's a new conversation IMO.

Reaction Score
Reese shot 9.4 free throws per game compared to 4.1 for Edwards--she's drawling a lot more fouls than Aaliyah does.

In regards to getting into foul trouble, Reese has her moments but it's rare she misses significant playing time or stays off the court long. Edwards has improved in this area looking at season stats--I just recalled her missing significant minutes in several big games (Ohio State/South Carolina). Committing fouls I agree is largely a wash when looking at the numbers on the season.

The players have different skill sets, but while Edwards showed flashes of greatness throughout the year, Reese maintained that level of play and tenacity the entire season which is why I think she's clear cut ahead of Edwards, though Edwards had a great season in her own right. If Edwards can find more consistency then it's a new conversation IMO.

Can you expand on the consistency point? Personally I think they both have areas where they need to be more consistent. Sure Edwards wasn't a 20/20 double double, but her constiency in this area jumped up significantly this season and she wasn't the primary option on offence.

And relentless is a matter of perspective. Edwards may not be as emotive as Reese but it doesn't take away her desire to do whatever she can on the court to win. Her willingness to take charges for one. Her aggression when defending the perimeter is another. Both players are relentless in different ways if you ask me.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Can you expand on the consistency point? Personally I think they both have areas where they need to be more consistent. Sure Edwards wasn't a 20/20 double double, but her constiency in this area jumped up significantly this season and she wasn't the primary option on offence.

And relentless is a matter of perspective. Edwards may not be as emotive as Reese but it doesn't take away her desire to do whatever she can on the court to win. Her willingness to take charges for one. Her aggression when defending the perimeter is another. Both players are relentless in different ways if you ask me.

Edwards had a great year but had stretches of up and down play. She disappeared in a lot of games and her productivity took a notable dip in February, though she finished the season on a great note (until to the Ohio State game.) She had many games where she took a back seat, didn't look for her shot, didn't rebound as well, or just wasn't particularly productive. Reese the entire year (excluding vs SC) brought high energy and produced. Even if her shot wasn't falling she'd make her impact in other areas. Part of it is their role for their team, but every night you knew what you were going to get from Angel, where with Aaliyah I didn't think that was the case.

Reaction Score
Edwards had a great year but had stretches of up and down play. She disappeared in a lot of games and her productivity took a notable dip in February, though she finished the season on a great note (until to the Ohio State game.) She had many games where she took a back seat, didn't look for her shot, didn't rebound as well, or just wasn't particularly productive. Reese the entire year (excluding vs SC) brought high energy and produced. Even if her shot wasn't falling she'd make her impact in other areas. Part of it is their role for their team, but every night you knew what you were going to get from Angel, where with Aaliyah I didn't think that was the case.

This is where we would agree to disagree. Sure there were some games where her offence didn't show up, but she still contributed to help the team from my perspective.

Reaction Score
I mean you apparently aren't on social media where people are calling the LSU the Golden State Warriors and expecting them to go undefeated next year now that they added Hailey Van Lith (Kevin Durant).
People are just being complimentary of LSU for beating the teams they did and going on the run that led to a national championship. I mean, this wasn't some 7 or 10-loss team that made a miracle run. They still only loss 2 games all year. The reference to the Warriors on social media was only made AFTER the championship when rumors spread about Hailey Van Lith and/or Marrow potentially coming to LSU on top of the #1 incoming recruiting class. People were equating Hailey Van Lith's move to KD going to the Warriors for an "easy ring." However, anyone who follows WBB knows that UConn will be likely healthy and stocked for another run along with South Carolina because both of those teams just reload.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I mean you apparently aren't on social media where people are calling the LSU the Golden State Warriors and expecting them to go undefeated next year now that they added Hailey Van Lith (Kevin Durant).
It's more throwing shade at Hailey Van Lith than saying LSU is going to dominate. Both Hailey Van Lith/Durant bailed on teams that were built around them to go join an already established championship squad.

Reaction Score
It's more throwing shade at Hailey Van Lith than saying LSU is going to dominate. Both Hailey Van Lith/Durant bailed on teams that were built around them to go join an already established championship squad.
Trust me that is not the reference. I’ve also heard Its like Candace Parker going to the Aces. Hailey Van Lith is no Candice Parker and LSU were not the Aces this year.

Reaction Score
Why I think LSU will be better next year. With the roster we have now as the base. Without comparing other teams or players

For one. Guard play will be much better. In terms of production...

I expect Flau'Jae to expand her role and game.

Williams will not have to shoulder the pressure that Flau'Jae shouldered as a freshman. So her game will come to her rather than forcing it. But the talent is definitely there.

Hailey Van Lith gonna be Hailey Van Lith.

The guard play alone will have us having 3 threats. Instead of 1. Outside the national championship. Only Morris had good games. And we was stagnant offensively because of the lack of production.

Poole and Poa after their national championship showing will go into the season with confidence. They will be 3 point threats.

For the bigs. It's tricky. Reese will be Reese. Smith potential is high. Unless don't land someone. She will have to play a huge role. Again her potential is high. Even at times when Ladazhia was off. Kim relied on Smith. And she produced.

Rebounding will be much better. Last year Reese and Flau'Jae were are best rebounders on the court. Smith is a much better rebounder than Ladazhia. Especially on the defensive side.

Del Rosario Gonna play a lot as well. She's gonna look every bit of a freshman. But she can also give us size when we need it. Her shot is promising. Gotta work on free throws. She's gonna see the floor but gonna look like a freshman.

Reese gotta work on her free throw line jumper. Scouting report is out now. Teams will sag off her and force her to take that shot. At times when teams backed off. She still took it at them. I think they'll try to draw charges. So she gotta find confidence in her shot.

Now if we get Morrow. The whole narrative of this post changes.

Reaction Score
People are just being complimentary of LSU for beating the teams they did and going on the run that led to a national championship. I mean, this wasn't some 7 or 10-loss team that made a miracle run. They still only loss 2 games all year. The reference to the Warriors on social media was only made AFTER the championship when rumors spread about Hailey Van Lith and/or Marrow potentially coming to LSU on top of the #1 incoming recruiting class. People were equating Hailey Van Lith's move to KD going to the Warriors for an "easy ring." However, anyone who follows WBB knows that UConn will be likely healthy and stocked for another run along with South Carolina because both of those teams just reload.
I actually think Virginia Tech and UCLA are in the top 4 with UConn and LSU. If Morrow goes to South Carolina they’d be back up there but too many question marks even with PaoPao.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Trust me that is not the reference. I’ve also heard Its like Candace Parker going to the Aces. Hailey Van Lith is no Candice Parker and LSU were not the Aces this year.
It is the reference. Search Durant + Van Lith on twitter and every reference is about Hailey chasing a ring.

Reaction Score
I actually think Virginia Tech and UCLA are in the top 4 with UConn and LSU. If Morrow goes to South Carolina they’d be back up there but too many question marks even with PaoPao.
100% agree about UCLA. That could very well be a team who could take it all. They got the right pieces returning and the right pieces being plugged in from the portal.

Reaction Score
Those teams you suggest as top four will play in the Cayman Islands Thanksgiving tournament along with Fordham, Kansas, Niagara and Virginia. The teams only play two games. Assuming none of the “top four” play one another on day 1 we could have two games with the four teams paired on day 2.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Next season if healthy Paige Azzi Caroline and Aaliyah will be tuff to beat. UConn needs Jana Ice Patterson and Amari to contribute. This is very important. The UConn show will be led by a healthy Paige and if she is anything like she was her freshman season UConn may not loose a game.

Comparing players is tuff because of the way their teams are built. UConn has more talent then any team in WCBB next season but they must be healthy. If they are they very well could go undefeated. When our underclassman are up to speed UConn could run away with games even against the best. The Paige and Azzi show if healthy will dominate WCBB like no other if healthy

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Judging by this thread, I am desperately praying for a regular season matchup between LSU/UConn.

The Hailey Van Lith/Morris comparisons are very accurate IMO. And I think her addition improves an already solid team.

If healthy, UConn is my current front runner… I’d like some of what you’re smoking if you can’t see that they are clear and far away the best roster heading into next season. But I also think LSU is a clear #2 with their roster, especially if Morrow joins.

Please, Please, PLEAAAAASE give us this matchup.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I thought I read something that LSU will be in the Cayman Island along with UConn however someone said they wont be playing each other. Any clarification on that?

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Judging by this thread, I am desperately praying for a regular season matchup between LSU/UConn.

The Hailey Van Lith/Morris comparisons are very accurate IMO. And I think her addition improves an already solid team.

If healthy, UConn is my current front runner… I’d like some of what you’re smoking if you can’t see that they are clear and far away the best roster heading into next season. But I also think LSU is a clear #2 with their roster, especially if Morrow joins.

Please, Please, PLEAAAAASE give us this matchup.

I think right now they're clear #1/#2 on paper. Both teams have some major question marks, but it's rare that teams enter a new season without any.

Others like South Carolina/Utah look good on paper, and there are some up and coming programs like UCLA/Ohio State, plus you cant count out Indiana/Iowa/Notre Dame/Virginia Tech/Stanford since they have stars back. The overall talent spread is a lot deeper than its been in a while, so as we saw from this season, anything can happen come tournament time.

Reaction Score
They’ll have some decent competition in the Cayman Islands next year. Kim historically has always scheduled big non-conference games while at Baylor, I’m not sure what happened this year but hopefully she gets tougher competition next season.

I think you are overstating how difficult Kim's non-conference scheduling has been in the past.

Reaction Score
I thought I read something that LSU will be in the Cayman Island along with UConn however someone said they wont be playing each other. Any clarification on that?
Last I heard, it is a good possibility that they could face each other in the Cayman Island Classic. Brackets have not been set yet.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I think you are overstating how difficult Kim's non-conference scheduling has been in the past.
Here's her list of big matchups non-conference over the years:
2011-12: #2 Notre Dame, #6 Tennessee, #4 Connecticut
2012-13: #6 Kentucky, #4 Stanford, #5 Notre Dame, #10 Tennessee, #3 UCONN
2013-14: #5 Kentucky, #1 UCONN
2014-15: #13 Kentucky, #19 Syracuse, #18 Michigan State
2015-16: #19 USF, #20 Michigan State, #23 Miami
2016-17: #9 UCLA, #3 UCONN, #18 DePaul, #8 Ohio State, #22 Tennessee
2017-18: #8 UCLA, #20 Kentucky, #16 Stanford
2018-19: #23 Arizona State, #18 South Carolina, #11 Stanford, #1 UCONN
2019-20: #22 USF, #17 Indiana, #5 South Carolina, #1 UCONN
2020-21: #16 Arkansas, #3 UCONN (canceled). Shortened season overall.
2021-22: #14 Iowa State (not sure how much control she had over schedule in first year).

Not sure how I overstated that she schedules a few tough non-conference games each year. 2023 was an anomaly for how weak she scheduled.

Reaction Score
Last I heard, it is a good possibility that they could face each other in the Cayman Island Classic. Brackets have not been set yet.
If I recall, an article published mentioned it was unlikely UCONN would face VT or LSU but maybe things change.

If we can't play UCONN, I'd love to face UCLA, that would be exciting given what UCLA returns and has coming in

Reaction Score
If I recall, an article published mentioned it was unlikely UCONN would face VT or LSU but maybe things change.

If we can't play UCONN, I'd love to face UCLA, that would be exciting given what UCLA returns and has coming in
If UConn isn’t playing LSU or Virginia Tech sounds like UConn and UCLA would be in the same bracket. Sounds like the organizers want a final four rematch game between Virginia Tech and LSU.

Reaction Score
Next season if healthy Paige Azzi Caroline and Aaliyah will be tuff to beat. UConn needs Jana Ice Patterson and Amari to contribute. This is very important. The UConn show will be led by a healthy Paige and if she is anything like she was her freshman season UConn may not loose a game.

Comparing players is tuff because of the way their teams are built. UConn has more talent then any team in WCBB next season but they must be healthy. If they are they very well could go undefeated. When our underclassman are up to speed UConn could run away with games even against the best. The Paige and Azzi show if healthy will dominate WCBB like no other if healthy
IMO, even healthy it is unlikely that UConn or any team goes unbeaten ( see SC last season). They might not even get out of November without a loss. Too much talent spread around, tough schedule, questions about interior depth, loss of Dorka and Lou, no idea how long it might take for the team to blend, depending on freshmen to get “up to speed” is a crapshoot, entirely possible to have a bad game (they are human) or horribly officiated game, a hot shooting opponent, etc. Nothing is impossible, but highly improbable in this era on Women’s BB. As long as they win the last game of the season, why even care about being undefeated?

Reaction Score
IMO, even healthy it is unlikely that UConn or any team goes unbeaten ( see SC last season). They might not even get out of November without a loss. Too much talent spread around, tough schedule, questions about interior depth, loss of Dorka and Lou, no idea how long it might take for the team to blend, depending on freshmen to get “up to speed” is a crapshoot, entirely possible to have a bad game (they are human) or horribly officiated game, a hot shooting opponent, etc. Nothing is impossible, but highly improbable in this era on Women’s BB. As long as they win the last game of the season, why even care about being undefeated?
UConn doesn’t need to get any freshman up to speed or have question about players gelling as they have a solid core 7 man rotation of players that have been playing together for 2-3 years already. Any freshman contributions would be gravy. If all players are healthy it should be one of the better UConn teams of all time.

That being said I don’t expect them to go undefeated because I think they’ll have a very hard out of conference schedule and it will take Paige a bit of time to get used to playing again. I do hope the games and August will help her get her sea legs back a bit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom