Hailey Van Lith to LSU | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Hailey Van Lith to LSU

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
UConn doesn’t need to get any freshman up to speed or have question about players gelling as they have a solid core 7 man rotation of players that have been playing together for 2-3 years already. Any freshman contributions would be gravy. If all players are healthy it should be one of the better UConn teams of all time.

That being said I don’t expect them to go undefeated because I think they’ll have a very hard out of conference schedule and it will take Paige a bit of time to get used to playing again. I do hope the games and August will help her get her sea legs back a bit.

But it’s not a well oiled machine returning—that whole crew has never been healthy and in sync with everyone there. It’s been a hodge podge of lineups depending on who is healthy. Bueckers returning likely impacts Muhl’s role on the floor after Muhl was the facilitator last year. Ducharme/Fudd have rarely been healthy together and Ducharme’s productivity has largely increased when Fudd isn’t in the lineup. There also isn’t a major defensive presence inside compared to some of the other strong teams. They’ll be very good if healthy but like with any other team, they have question marks that need to be addressed and sorted out.

Reaction Score
But it’s not a well oiled machine returning—that whole crew has never been healthy and in sync with everyone there. It’s been a hodge podge of lineups depending on who is healthy. Bueckers returning likely impacts Muhl’s role on the floor after Muhl was the facilitator last year. Ducharme/Fudd have rarely been healthy together and Ducharme’s productivity has largely increased when Fudd isn’t in the lineup. There also isn’t a major defensive presence inside compared to some of the other strong teams. They’ll be very good if healthy but like with any other team, they have question marks that need to be addressed and sorted out.
Not really though. Muhl Edwards and Paige played together for 2 years, Muhl and Paige know how to play together. Fudd and Paige played together for three years on USA basketball and Fudd has played two years with everyone else. The only two have that have missed each other are Ducharme and Fudd to your point. I just don’t think they’ll need freshman to speed of development and won’t be relying on them to contribute. Compared to their competition they have the most historical chemistry in place, Virginia tech is probably the closest in that regard as they only lost one person in their 7 man rotation.

To me the biggest question will be health for UConn. If this team can get healthy and stay healthy they’ll be one of the better teams in UConn history imo. But health is a major question considering the history of this group so it’s not a small question.

LSUAlum96

Loooooong Time Lady Tigers Fan
Reaction Score
I noticed that she didn't have that killer mentality against South Carolina. Just saying. Did she disappear? ;)
Actually she did....................but she didn't play up to her standards with only 16 pts. But that's what..............one game out of THIRTY SIX? That one game is way in the rear view mirror now.

Reaction Score
Actually she did....................but she didn't play up to her standards with only 16 pts. But that's what..............one game out of THIRTY SIX? That one game is way in the rear view mirror now.
Angel will always struggle against size because she has zero post moves and no jumper. She better get off social media and get in a gym with a professional trainer.

LSUAlum96

Reaction Score
Angel will always struggle against size because she has zero post moves and no jumper. She better get off social media and get in a gym with a professional trainer.
LOL! No post moves? Struggle against size? Clearly we're not watching the same Angel Reese. She DOES have a jumper but, doesn't use it very often, which IS to her detriment. She relies on her post moves, drives and the fact that she can shoot the ball with either hand. But, for the next level, she'll need to more consistently hit jump shots rather than just relying on her drives. But in college, nobody can stop her.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Do some homework before making accusations like this. The last two years she’s had the following performances going up against All-American centers her size or bigger:

-24/12 vs Elizabeth Kitley
-25/9 vs Cameron Brink and fouled her out
-14/13, 20/16, and 20/12 vs Indiana with Mackenzie Holmes
-20/10 vs Aliyah Boston and SC
-24/9 vs Elissa Cunane

Reaction Score
Totally agree. This team has the potential to be the program’s best since 2016-17 but there seems to be a widely held assumption that every team will have chemistry issues to sort out except UConn.

Reaction Score
LOL! No post moves? Struggle against size? Clearly we're not watching the same Angel Reese. She DOES have a jumper but, doesn't use it very often, which IS to her detriment. She relies on her post moves, drives and the fact that she can shoot the ball with either hand. But, for the next level, she'll need to more consistently hit jump shots rather than just relying on her drives. But in college, nobody can stop her.
Except, maybe the SCar Gamecocks!! And, in my opinion, this doesn’t diminish her skill set and talent at all.

LSUAlum96

Reaction Score
Except, maybe the SCar Gamecocks!! And, in my opinion, this doesn’t diminish her skill set and talent at all.
Based on her two games? For the two times she's played them she's averaging 18 pts and 7 rebounds. That's not "stopping" her. All that is, is slowing her down. She many not get her normal 23 pts 15 rebs against them...........................................................but NOBODY gets their average against them.

Reaction Score
Based on her two games? For the two times she's played them she's averaging 18 pts and 7 rebounds. That's not "stopping" her. All that is, is slowing her down. She many not get her normal 23 pts 15 rebs against them...........................................................but NOBODY gets their average against them.
Eh she put up most of her numbers this season in garbage time against them if I remember correctly. She had 9 of her 16 points in the fourth quarter after it was a 20 point game against Carolina's bench and she only had 4 rebounds that game. South Carolina shut her down when it actually mattered.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Eh she put up most of her numbers this season in garbage time against them if I remember correctly. She had 9 of her 16 points in the fourth quarter after it was a 20 point game against Carolina's bench and she only had 4 rebounds that game. South Carolina shut her down when it actually mattered.
This is accurate, they made Reese ineffective until the game was already decided. It was Reese's lone bad game of the year though, I guess people need to find ammo somewhere. It's overlooked that she had a strong performance against them as a sophomore, putting up 20/10 in a hard fought close loss playing against the same bigs.

Reaction Score
I think context also matters too. At Maryland Angel scored 20 pts on 19 FG attempts against SC. Whereas this year she scored 16 points on 15 FG attempts. She can put up points but I don't think she's done it effectively against SC yet.

I agree with the previous poster that she needs to work on her post moves, that part of her game is lacking. Whenever she meets up with a patient but physical postal player her size or bigger she looks like a shell of herself. Luckily for her she's hasn't faced too many that check all those boxes but I do worry about her pro prospects if it doesn't improve.

LSUAlum96

Reaction Score
I think context also matters too. At Maryland Angel scored 20 pts on 19 FG attempts against SC. Whereas this year she scored 16 points on 15 FG attempts. She can put up points but I don't think she's done it effectively against SC yet.

I agree with the previous poster that she needs to work on her post moves, that part of her game is lacking. Whenever she meets up with a patient but physical postal player her size or bigger she looks like a shell of herself. Luckily for her she's hasn't faced too many that check all those boxes but I do worry about her pro prospects if it doesn't improve.
I can't agree with that. Who are the other "patient, physical post players" that she's not had success against? Only one I've seen that have slowed her is Aaliyah.................that's it.

sun

Reaction Score
Posted May 9, 2023

Hailey Van Lith Plays 1on1 vs Kim Mulkey Son Ready For LSU!

Reaction Score
Caitlin Clark had 41 vs. the Gamecocks... I don't recall her average but that had to be might close.;)

Reaction Score
Hailey will be very happy in Baton Rouge if Kim lets her take every shot!
Yeah, that's not happening and she knows it. If she wanted to ballhog she would have stayed at Louisville. They have been informed and know that they will have to put aside their egos if they want to win. According to herself, players, and assistants, Kim makes sure they understand that she does not want you on her team if you can't and won't do what's necessary for them to win.

Reaction Score
Same thing with the Stanford game against Cam last season at MD. Cam was blocking every shot she attempted. They were down by 30 in the 3rd quarter. It wasn't until Stanford let their foot off the gas in the 4th that she started scoring.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that's not happening and she knows it. If she wanted to ballhog she would have stayed at Louisville. They have been informed and know that they will have to put aside their egos if they want to win. According to herself, players, and assistants, Kim makes sure they understand that she does not want you on her team if you can't and won't do what's necessary for them to win.
Yup, agreed... my tongue was planted firmly in cheek writing that post. In a battle of wills, I'll take Kim over Hailey. That being said, a leopard doesn't usually change its spots. Van Lith might not be a happy camper playing for Kim for very long.

Reaction Score
I think Hailey knows she will get fewer shots, but Kim, probably, sees her as a younger version of herself
Is Hailey a KIm 2.0 ?

Reaction Score
I think Hailey knows she will get fewer shots, but Kim, probably, sees her as a younger version of herself
Is Hailey a KIm 2.0 ?
I'm sure she does and that is most likely the reason she recruited her so hard out of highschool, but Kim wants to win above all else. If they play faster everyone will get an adequate amount of shots. But as has always been the case, the most efficient scorer will be the first option in Kim's offense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom