Griner found Guilty | The Boneyard

Griner found Guilty

Reaction Score
Was there ever any doubt of a guilty decision?
Sentence is just a mechanism for negotiating additional releases from the USA of persons Russia wants to be returned.
Doesn’t common sense dictate that there are “no go” countries on the planet?
We are involved in a proxy war with Russia.
You had to know this wasn’t going to end with an innocent decision.
Sentence just part of the negotiating process.

Reaction Score
Was there ever any doubt of a guilty decision?
Sentence is just a mechanism for negotiating additional releases from the USA of persons Russia wants to be returned.
Doesn’t common sense dictate that there are “no go” countries on the planet?
We are involved in a proxy war with Russia.
You had to know this wasn’t going to end with an innocent decision.
Sentence just part of the negotiating process.
Well, of course there was no doubt, she pled guilty. You have a strange take as I am pretty sure an innocent decision has never been rendered ANYWHERE for a defendant that pled guilty.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Conviction was a foregone conclusion even before her guilty plea. The conviction rate in Russian courts is something like 99%, and the high-profile nature of this case would do nothing to lessen that likelihood.

According to experts I've seen quoted, a guilty plea was likely a precondition for any future prisoner swap, which from day one figured to be the only way she'd get to come home without serving hard time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What I don't understand is if she pled guilty, why was there a trial to find her guilty?

Reaction Score
Conviction was a foregone conclusion even before her guilty plea. The conviction rate in Russian courts is something like 99%, and the high-profile nature of this case would do nothing to lessen that likelihood.

According to experts I've seen quoted, a guilty plea was likely a precondition for any future prisoner swap, which from day one figured to be the only way she'd get to come home without serving hard time.
It doesn’t change the fact the search was videotaped in the airport (which means virtually nothing of course) and she pled guilty.
As for a prisoner swap, that is another discussion completely that would quickly get this thread shut down I am sure; I for one will not go there.

Reaction Score
What I don't understand is if she pled guilty, why was there a trial to find her guilty?
Even in countries outside of Russia in most European countries, if you go to trial you are considered guilty. Unlike here where the prosecutor needs to prove you are guilty, in Europe you have to prove your innocence. That makes in harder to go free.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Criminal procedure is different in Russia.

"After the reading of the accusatory pleading the defendant is then asked to enter a plea. If the defendant pleads guilty, this does not end the case as it does in the United States. A guilty plea is just considered to be a piece of evidence and the procurator must present other evidence to corroborate the guilty plea."

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
The conviction rate in US Federal courts is between 95% - 98%. That number is sorta' bogus because most cases are settled with a plea deal. Prosecutors here don't like to go to trial unless it's a slam dunk. I don't know if that is true in Russia.

Reaction Score
Criminal procedure is different in Russia.

"After the reading of the accusatory pleading the defendant is then asked to enter a plea. If the defendant pleads guilty, this does not end the case as it does in the United States. A guilty plea is just considered to be a piece of evidence and the procurator must present other evidence to corroborate the guilty plea."

Thanks

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Nice moment before the Sun Mercury game tonight. Both teams arm in arm in circle at mid court and the had 42 seconds of silence.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
9 year sentence
It was reported today that her appeal of her sentence was rejected by a Russian court and she will serve the entire 9 years less credit for time served.
It appears that now her only hope is a prisoner swap.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

I know the Lorber/Griner comparison is a big meme in certain political circles, but as someone else said, I think it has more to do with the political climate and Griner being a high profile figure. Worth noting, Marc Fogel (a white man) was arrested in 2021 for medical marijuana and has been detained for 14 months. Earlier this month he was moved to a hard labor penal colony and has a 14 years sentence ahead. Hopefully both he and Brittney can get home well before their sentences are up.

Reaction Score
I know the Lorber/Griner comparison is a big meme in certain political circles, but as someone else said, I think it has more to do with the political climate and Griner being a high profile figure. Worth noting, Marc Fogel (a white man) was arrested in 2021 for medical marijuana and has been detained for 14 months. Earlier this month he was moved to a hard labor penal colony and has a 14 years sentence ahead. Hopefully both he and Brittney can get home well before their sentences are up.
I do think it's worth mentioning that Fogel's amount was actually a large scale amount and unlike BG it is believed he was actively trying to smuggle drugs and was found with 10+ cartridges in his suitcases and even hid some in his contact lens cases.

While any American whose is sentenced right now is in part a victim of current geopolitics , I do believe that Fogel's case would likely be similar at any time based on how much he had plus how he got caught trying to hide it. I personally believe BG's case especially with how little she had, was escalated more due to both politics and her fame mostly, but some of the other qualities about her definitely definitely wouldn't help her in a Russian court either. I hope she gets out soon, preferably before she gets sent to a new jail.

Reaction Score
My heart and prayers go out to BG. Just praying that she is able to hold on mentally and physically.

Reaction Score
My heart and prayers go out to BG. Just praying that she is able to hold on mentally and physically.
Agreed. Staying on the original topic of the post, my prayers to B Griner and her friends and family. It is a heartbreaking situation.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
I hope they can get Brittany home. She is a wonderful person and I loved watching her play basketball. I know she was also close to coach summit and had Tennessee as one of her finalists but wanted to stay closer to home.

Reaction Score
if only the non athletes that were also arrested unfairly in Russia got this attention.

Plebe

Reaction Score
if only the non athletes that were also arrested unfairly in Russia got this attention.
Yeah, if only Audrey Lorber had gotten this much attention, maybe she would be free now. Oh, wait ...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom