Greatest westerns ever made? Pick your top five. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Greatest westerns ever made? Pick your top five.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What about “The Angel and the Badman”? It’s my favorite of all of Wayne’s western flicks, surprised no one mentioned it. Gail Russell is terrific in it. It was also the inspiration for “Witness”, Peter Hyams film starring Harrison Ford and Kelly McGillis. My favorite Wayne flick period is “The Quiet Man”, also a John Ford production.
The Quiet Man is one of my favorite overall films as well.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen The Angel and the Badman. I had no idea it was the inspiration for witness, which is a good movie. I will keep an eye out for it.

Reaction Score
The Quiet Man is one of my favorite overall films as well.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen The Angel and the Badman. I had no idea it was the inspiration for witness, which is a good movie. I will keep an eye out for it.

I saw The Angel and the Bad Man for the first time this past year. I would watch it again, but there are a number of John Wayne westerns that I think that are better. Still, it is a good movie.

Reaction Score
I'm with @f1f1ferrari :

1. The Outlaw Josey Wales
2. The Outlaw Josey Wales
3. The Outlaw Josey Wales
4. The Outlaw Josey Wales
5. The Outlaw Josey Wales

"Endeavor to persevere" -- words to live by.
We thought long and hard on these words. Then, we declared war on the Union. One of my all time favorite scenes

Reaction Score
My name might just give away my love of Westerns......

Hell. I could list my top-5 O-K Corral films:
1)Tombstone - best dramatic action and quotes
2)Hour of the Gun - best Wyatt Earp/Doc Holiday
3)My Darling Clementine - John Ford classic B&W
4)Gunfight at the O.K. Corral - Lancaster and Douglas
5)Wyatt Earp - Costner
*Bonus pick Appointment with Destiny: Showdown at OK Corral (Free on youtube!)

Reaction Score
Lonesome Dove
Magnificent Seven (original)
True Grit (Coen)
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly

Reaction Score
I saw The Angel and the Bad Man for the first time this past year. I would watch it again, but there are a number of John Wayne westerns that I think that are better. Still, it is a good movie.
I would agree with you, but sometimes your favorite film is not the best, and you know it. I was always a Gail Russell fan, she made some great flicks besides Angel and the Bad Man (The Univited, and The Unseen which was a sequel). She died tragically at age 36, some would say self inflicted.

Reaction Score
I would agree with you, but sometimes your favorite film is not the best, and you know it. I was always a Gail Russell fan, she made some great flicks besides Angel and the Bad Man (The Univited, and The Unseen which was a sequel). She died tragically at age 36, some would say self inflicted.

I agree, a favorite movie is a matter of taste among other things. You mentioned The Uninvited. That is a horror/ghost film that my wife and I quite enjoy, it is very good. We have seen it several times.

Reaction Score
I agree, a favorite movie is a matter of taste among other things. You mentioned The Uninvited. That is a horror/ghost film that my wife and I quite enjoy, it is very good. We have seen it several times.
Yes, as in all list of “best”, it is a matter of taste. I happen to not be fond of John Wayne Westerns. I love almost all of Eastwood’s.

My top five are all relatively modern:
Eastwood’s Outlaw Josey Wales & Unforgiven
No Country for Old Men
Once Upon a Time in the West
Tombstone

Absolutely despise Django ( and Inglorious Bastards). I don’t like glaring anachronisms.(Love Pulp Fiction & Jackie Brown.)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In no particular order:
  • Stagecoach
  • High Plains Drifter
  • She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
  • The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
  • McClintock

Reaction Score
Just watched last night "The man who shot Liberty Valance". It was great, Lee Marvin really personified evil, good acting throughout. It reminded me of a short story that I read many years ago, I think it was called "A bride comes to Yellow Sky", which has the story represent the passing of the Old West into more modern times. I'd watch again.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of westerns out there. Which ones do you have in your top five western list? For me, I’d go with:

Unforgiven - A well written movie that expresses multiple points of view of the same horrific event. Clint Eastwood’s character is possibly the toughest man ever at the end of this movie.

True Grit - The original. Though the remake has a lot of good characteristics, it made me appreciate just how good the original was. John Wayne, well, is John Wayne. He does a great job making and unlikable character likable, and even charming. Kim Darby seemed miscast playing a 15 year old girl, but she does a great job with the dialogue that comes right out of the excellent Charles Porter book. Even Glen Campbell does a good job with the difficult dialogue and the comedic elements of his character.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - This movie pretty much has it all. Shoot outs, A town bully, a man taking a stand when he could run, a man doing the right thing even when he knows it’s to his detriment, and the perils of hero worship. John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart and Lee Marvin in a John Ford film. You’d expect it to be excellent, and it is.

High Noon - Gary Cooper does an incredible job as a man who feels duty-bound to take on a gang of killers (alone) on the last day before he retires. Grace Kelly never looked love Lieier as his Quaker wife who does not believe in violence.

Stagecoach (1939) - There are a lot of movies that I could slot into the number five position but I’m going with another John Ford and John Wayne film. while stagecoach certainly has a lot of action, a good piece of the dramatic tension is generated by combining dissimilar characters in a small space.

There are plenty of others that would be equally good choices. What’s your top five?
Rawhide
Bonanza
Wyatt Earp
F Troop
Little House on Prairie

Oh, you meant just movies.

Reaction Score
I've mentioned John Ford westerns a few times in this thread, so I thought I would list my favorite John Ford westerns. First, here are my top 5 John Ford westerns in no particular order:

Stagecoach
The Searchers
My Darling Clementine
Rio Grande
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

Other John Ford westerns that my wife and I quite enjoy:

Fort Apache
Wagon Master

Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is also quite good, but for some reason my enjoyment factor on that one just doesn't match up with the previous titles mentioned. Others certainly have it rated higher than I do, and I don't have a problem with that.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of westerns out there. Which ones do you have in your top five western list? For me, I’d go with:

Unforgiven - A well written movie that expresses multiple points of view of the same horrific event. Clint Eastwood’s character is possibly the toughest man ever at the end of this movie.

True Grit - The original. Though the remake has a lot of good characteristics, it made me appreciate just how good the original was. John Wayne, well, is John Wayne. He does a great job making and unlikable character likable, and even charming. Kim Darby seemed miscast playing a 15 year old girl, but she does a great job with the dialogue that comes right out of the excellent Charles Porter book. Even Glen Campbell does a good job with the difficult dialogue and the comedic elements of his character.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - This movie pretty much has it all. Shoot outs, A town bully, a man taking a stand when he could run, a man doing the right thing even when he knows it’s to his detriment, and the perils of hero worship. John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart and Lee Marvin in a John Ford film. You’d expect it to be excellent, and it is.

High Noon - Gary Cooper does an incredible job as a man who feels duty-bound to take on a gang of killers (alone) on the last day before he retires. Grace Kelly never looked love Lieier as his Quaker wife who does not believe in violence.

Stagecoach (1939) - There are a lot of movies that I could slot into the number five position but I’m going with another John Ford and John Wayne film. while stagecoach certainly has a lot of action, a good piece of the dramatic tension is generated by combining dissimilar characters in a small space.

There are plenty of others that would be equally good choices. What’s your top five?
I agree with Woody:

Woody Allen has called Shane "George Stevens' masterpiece", on his 2001 list of great American films, along with The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, White Heat, Double Indemnity, The Informer and The Hill. Shane, he wrote, "... is a great movie and can hold its own with any film, whether it's a Western or not."[26]

Reaction Score
Nobody mentioning Leonardo DiCaprio’ Oscar winning performance in Revenant? Not one of my favorites either

A Man Called Horse and Jeremiah Johnson didn’t pop right into my mind on first thought.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nobody mentioning Leonardo DiCaprio’ Oscar winning performance in Revenant? Not one of my favorites either

A Man Called Horse and Jeremiah Johnson didn’t pop right into my mind on first thought.
That’s the beauty of these threads. You hear other peoples ideas and they make you think “oh that’s a good one too”. (Both Jeremiah Johnson and Revenant were mentioned.)

Reaction Score
1. Little Big Man: Made me laugh out loud many times and broke my heart at others.
2. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: "Who are those guys?"

I'd do more, but I have to get back to that Snake Dance video someone posted. Debra Paget has lost her britches, and I need to know if she finds them.

Reaction Score
clint eastwood
james stewart
james garner
clark gable
henry fonda.

if its a 'western,' and one of these guys has a big role in it, i'd watch it.
and brad pitt. always. legends of the fall, a river runs thru it? that's old timey Montana, which is in the west, which makes them westerns, to me.
Clark Gable??????????

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Clark Gable??????????
whelp, based on the last few posts (movie names, like song names, are mostly a mystery to me. except one-worders like 'up' or 'misfits'),
yup. clark gable. i like that guy.
and james garner. guy comes on the screen, viewers break out in a smile cuz he has that way about him. some folks are born like that.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

jeremiah johnson is a 'cult classic' to this very day.
think aboot it. and i don't care too much for that redford guy usually.

for fans of tv westerns, here's a link to a wholepantload of forgotten westerns. rough stuff, pre pc.

Reaction Score
1. Searchers
2. Shane
3. My Darling Clementine
4. Once Upon a Time in the West
5. Big Country
6. Outlaw Josie Wales
7. Pick any one of the Jimmy Stewart/Anthony Mann westerns---Bend of the River, Man from Laramie, Winchester 73, but my fav Anthony Mann oater was with Henry Fonda, Tin Star

Reaction Score
Spinoff time:

5 Favorite Villains in Westerns:

Fonda in Once Upon a Time in the West:

Lee Van Cleff in the Eastwood Spaghettis

Lee Marvin in Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance.

Gene Hackman in Unforgiven.

Javier Bardem in No Country for Old Men

Reaction Score
1. Searchers
2. Shane
3. My Darling Clementine
4. Once Upon a Time in the West
5. Big Country
6. Outlaw Josie Wales
7. Pick any one of the Jimmy Stewart/Anthony Mann westerns---Bend of the River, Man from Laramie, Winchester 73, but my fav Anthony Mann oater was with Henry Fonda, Tin Star

You mentioned Tin Star, which is certainly a good movie. My wife absolutely loves that movie. We've seen it a bunch of times. One little piece of business, my wife is always waiting for Anthony Perkins, who plays the sheriff, to flash his "Psycho" smile in that film. Of course, Perkins had a few years to go before playing Norman Bates.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom