Greatest westerns ever made? Pick your top five. | The Boneyard

Greatest westerns ever made? Pick your top five.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There are a lot of westerns out there. Which ones do you have in your top five western list? For me, I’d go with:

Unforgiven - A well written movie that expresses multiple points of view of the same horrific event. Clint Eastwood’s character is possibly the toughest man ever at the end of this movie.

True Grit - The original. Though the remake has a lot of good characteristics, it made me appreciate just how good the original was. John Wayne, well, is John Wayne. He does a great job making and unlikable character likable, and even charming. Kim Darby seemed miscast playing a 15 year old girl, but she does a great job with the dialogue that comes right out of the excellent Charles Porter book. Even Glen Campbell does a good job with the difficult dialogue and the comedic elements of his character.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - This movie pretty much has it all. Shoot outs, A town bully, a man taking a stand when he could run, a man doing the right thing even when he knows it’s to his detriment, and the perils of hero worship. John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart and Lee Marvin in a John Ford film. You’d expect it to be excellent, and it is.

High Noon - Gary Cooper does an incredible job as a man who feels duty-bound to take on a gang of killers (alone) on the last day before he retires. Grace Kelly never looked love Lieier as his Quaker wife who does not believe in violence.

Stagecoach (1939) - There are a lot of movies that I could slot into the number five position but I’m going with another John Ford and John Wayne film. while stagecoach certainly has a lot of action, a good piece of the dramatic tension is generated by combining dissimilar characters in a small space.

There are plenty of others that would be equally good choices. What’s your top five?

Reaction Score
1. For a Few Dollars More - Bounty Hunters Lee Van Cleef and Clint Eastwood form an uneasy partnership to take down a vicious Mexican bandito, played beautifully by Gian' Marie Volante. Sergio Leone really hits his stride with this epic tale, and the music by Ennio Morricone is wonderful.

2. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Paul Newman and Robert Redford in a film for the ages.

3. Once Upon a Time in the West - another brilliant Sergio Leone western. Henry Fonda a bad guy? In this movie he certainly is.

4. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - Another superb Leone western with fabulous Morricone soundtrack. Eli Wallach is a terrific comedic scene stealer, and Clint and Lee Van Cleef are superb also.

5. Tombstone - The shootout at the OK Corral, some fine performances by a great cast - Val Kilmer, Kurt Russell, Sam Elliot, Bill Paxton

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
ABBC5F42-6F3F-499D-B161-8E56C5FC4E78.jpeg

El Topo- grotesque and powerful.

1A1911A9-0F38-4C88-B662-4AAC3C3060FA.jpeg

Reaction Score
1. High Noon
2. Tombstone
3. Unforgiven
4. 3:10 to Yuma
5. Shane

Just watched 3:10 to Yuma again. Always been a Russell Crowe fan, but I think his performance in this movie is among his underrated. It's a subtle performance, but he comes off as equally charming and dangerous.

The Searchers is a classic that played upon stereotypes in Westerns.

Reaction Score
My Darkling Clementine
The Searchers
The Wild Bunch
No Country for Old Men
There will be Blood
McCabe and Mrs. Miller
Shane

Reaction Score
There are a lot of westerns out there. Which ones do you have in your top five western list? For me, I’d go with:

Unforgiven - A well written movie that expresses multiple points of view of the same horrific event. Clint Eastwood’s character is possibly the toughest man ever at the end of this movie.

True Grit - The original. Though the remake has a lot of good characteristics, it made me appreciate just how good the original was. John Wayne, well, is John Wayne. He does a great job making and unlikable character likable, and even charming. Kim Darby seemed miscast playing a 15 year old girl, but she does a great job with the dialogue that comes right out of the excellent Charles Porter book. Even Glen Campbell does a good job with the difficult dialogue and the comedic elements of his character.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - This movie pretty much has it all. Shoot outs, A town bully, a man taking a stand when he could run, a man doing the right thing even when he knows it’s to his detriment, and the perils of hero worship. John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart and Lee Marvin in a John Ford film. You’d expect it to be excellent, and it is.

High Noon - Gary Cooper does an incredible job as a man who feels duty-bound to take on a gang of killers (alone) on the last day before he retires. Grace Kelly never looked love Lieier as his Quaker wife who does not believe in violence.

Stagecoach (1939) - There are a lot of movies that I could slot into the number five position but I’m going with another John Ford and John Wayne film. while stagecoach certainly has a lot of action, a good piece of the dramatic tension is generated by combining dissimilar characters in a small space.

There are plenty of others that would be equally good choices. What’s your top five?
Re: Unforgiven - Munny's transformation after drinking the whiskey is chilling, and a fantastic piece of acting

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
There are a lot of westerns out there. Which ones do you have in your top five western list?
  1. Once Upon A Time In The West
  2. Blazing Saddles
  3. Cat Ballou
  4. Trinity Is Still My Name (sequel to They Call Me Trinity)
  5. City Slickers
Honorable mentions: Rango and Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Reaction Score
Tough to name just five top westerns, but in no particular order, here are my choices. And yes, I'm a big fan of many John Ford movies.

Stagecoach (1939)
My Darling Clementine
The Searchers
Red River
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members