Greatest race move ever? | The Boneyard

Greatest race move ever?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Any reason for no yellow flag? Hitting the wall usually causes a caution. Could have easily wrecked someone else.
They pretty much let the last lap stay green unless someone is spinning into traffic. That was a controlled crash of sorts and presented no immediate danger. If he caught a gate or something and started spinning, they would have thrown a yellow.

Reaction Score
Tremendous move. It will be replayed forever. Disappointed Hamlin missed the championship

Reaction Score
On the Nurburgring there’s a serious turn that has a groove on the inside where the concrete falls off. Someone figured out that you could drop your two wheels into that groove and go faster than you could driving it normally because your wheels kept you in that slot.

That’s sort of the same thing, using a barrier for guidance while gunning the turn.

As for my favorite move ever, it has to be Rich Strike hitting the rail, jumping sideways to pass a flagging horse, and smoking the whole field, though that’s not what you meant I know.

Reaction Score
That was ridiculous. Chastain has injected some much needed juice into NASCAR this season. The fact that he did this to bump Hamlin out of the championship, and they have been feuding all year makes it even wilder. Hamlin has to be fuming and wondering WTH just happened

Reaction Score
As a F1 fan, I don’t really have much interest in NASCAR generally but I must say that overtake was insane. Chastain’s got some massive cojones

Reaction Score
Probably Crash. It may be a little on the nose but I’m a Haggis fan.

Reaction Score
Sorry, nice move but not the best ever. I would put Danny Sullivan's 200 mph spin and recovery in a corner at Indy to win the 500 just a bit higher. Actually a lot higher.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Brought me back to my attaic and racing AFX cars. Great move. Corralled the threat of inertia.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Brought me back to my attaic and racing AFX cars. Great move. Corralled the threat of inertia.

You gotta think those SAFE-T or SAFE-R barriers or whatever they call them helped absorb some of the impact and almost act as a dual rubberband and shock absorber.

There's only a few tracks you could try this on. No way you do that at the superspeedways impacting them at 190mph+.

Reaction Score
Sorry, nice move but not the best ever. I would put Danny Sullivan's 200 mph spin and recovery in a corner at Indy to win the 500 just a bit higher. Actually a lot higher.

In the context of the race situation, it's arguably much better.

Chastain needed to gain 2 positions with two corners left in order to advance to the Top 4 and to be in contention for the championship for upcoming final race.

It was clear that there was no way he'd be able to get those positions with a normal line through the corner...so he got creative with a high-risk, high-reward move. Dude has cajones of steel. Went from 10th to 5th, and even passed out the guy who was directly in front of him in the points (Hamlin) at the checkered flag

Check out these in-car views of the move and listen to the drivers/spotters...the sheer speed gain he got through the corner was ridiculous!

Reaction Score
In the context of the race situation, it's arguably much better.

Chastain needed to gain 2 positions with two corners left in order to advance to the Top 4 and to be in contention for the championship for upcoming final race.

It was clear that there was no way he'd be able to get those positions with a normal line through the corner...so he got creative with a high-risk, high-reward move. Dude has cajones of steel. Went from 10th to 5th, and even passed out the guy who was directly in front of him in the points (Hamlin) at the checkered flag

Check out these in-car views of the move and listen to the drivers/spotters...the sheer speed gain he got through the corner was ridiculous!

The view from Chase Elliot's camera is ridiculous. Look how freaking fast he goes hahah

Reaction Score
Color me underwhelmed, if that is indeed the greatest move ever it seems to justify not watching.

Reaction Score
Not a NASCAR fan at all. Honest question, was that skill or just recklessness gone right?
The idea was recklessness gone right.

Easing into the wall going ???mph so that he didn't slam and lose all of his speed and having enough control to not spin out or wreck another car is skill.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The idea was recklessness gone right.

Easing into the wall going ???mph so that he didn't slam and lose all of his speed and having enough control to not spin out or wreck another car is skill.
They are not hitting 200MPH at Martinsville. Cut that in half.

I'll see if I can find the links from where I read it but two things.....

1. As expected several racer past and present have said they will have to make a rule against it. As someone said that's toothpaste out of the tube if you don't legislate it and racers will keep trying it until someone gets it very wrong.

2. Someone did the math and at one point in his sling shot he was going 70 mph FASTER than the other drivers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom