Gotta give credit where its due, Dez asked Weist who calls the plays | The Boneyard

Gotta give credit where its due, Dez asked Weist who calls the plays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sure, he has autonomy, but he is still dealing with the O-Line schemes and the poor RB recruiting of the GDL era, and he is getting "input" from others both before and during the game. Maybe Weist should trust his eyes and not rely on input form others, especially during the game.

"From Coach [Paul] Pasqualoni's standpoint [coordinators] have complete autonomy," Weist said Tuesday. "I am calling the plays. I work very closely with the offensive staff throughout the week. Everybody has input and during the game everybody has input. I decide what play is called but it's a collaborative effort between all of us and I depend on the offensive staff every drive to tell me what's going on, what do we like, what do we see."

Reaction Score
He calls way too many passes to the outside. Slants and inside passes are easier to complete and have a higher chance for Yards after the completion. Hopefully we will see more slants against M.

Reaction Score
This post belongs in this thread

John Silver

>>

“I am calling the plays.” Weist said. “I work closely with the offensive staff (GDL) and they have input (GDL) and during the games everyone has input. It’s us(plural) on offense calling the plays, but I decide what play is called (this sentence contradicts itself). It’s a collaborative effort on all of us. I depend on the offensive staff (GDL) every drive to tell me what’s going — what do we (GDL) like? And what do we (GDL) see? We have great experience on our staff (GDL) and I depend on that every game and every drive to say what do we (Plural) like now? What do we(Plural) see? What are we getting? What is our personnel who is in the game?(Weist has to ask which offensive personnel are going in?)That’s where we stand and that’s how Coach Pasqualoni wanted it (yup). He’s involved, but he’s turned the reins over to me.” <<

This whole statement seems like a coded cry for help. I bet Weist was blinking in morse code that he is being tortured.

My Apologies for doubting the conspiracy theorists during the offseason. They were right.

Reaction Score
I expected Weist to say..."I run every play by coach P and he confirms each play and THEN we send in the play...it causes a few delay of game penalties, but it's worth it...cause, you know...he's coach P"

Reaction Score
I'm not passing judgement on the content of Weist's answer. But the question has been asked. to some extent his answer is exactly what you'd expect, even hope, goes on in offensive game planning and play calling, no? Then again, if you are a conspiracy theorist, consider this:
“I am calling the plays.” Weist said. “I work closely with the offensive staff (GDL) and they have input (GDL) and during the games everyone has input. It’s us(plural) on offense calling the plays, but I decide what play is called (this sentence contradicts itself). It’s a collaborative effort on all of us. I depend on the offensive staff (GDL) every drive to tell me what’s going — what do we (GDL) like? And what do we (GDL) see? We have great experience on our staff (GDL) and I depend on that every game and every drive to say what do we (Plural) like now? What do we(Plural) see? What are we getting? What is our personnel who is in the game?(Weist has to ask which offensive personnel are going in?)That’s where we stand and that’s how Coach Pasqualoni wanted it (yup). He’s involved, but he’s turned the reins over to me.” I realize that last one isn't exactly right, but I think that's to throw people off the scent. Clearly there was a subliminal message in his comments. Plain as the nose on your face, I would say.

Reaction Score
conspiracy3.jpg

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Dez only asked because he knew going in what the answer would be.

About six months ago P stated that things would not really change much at all on offense, that they would continue doing what they had been working on from day one. My interpretation was that he didn't want his buddy getting blasted and his buddy's replacement getting credit for any newly found offensive success. I now .believe that P decided that if his job is on the line, he's going down his way.

The game plans each week are built upon the basic framework of the philosophy (which in our case is to punt quite often) that is preached constantly during practice. Play calling is tied entirely into the game plans. By Thursday evening Weist knows exactly what (in terms of plays to call and when he can call them) he has to work with. There is likely very little wiggle room available to Weist at this point.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Dez only asked because he knew going in what the answer would be.

About six months ago P stated that things would not really change much at all on offense, that they would continue doing what they had been working on from day one. My interpretation was that he didn't want his buddy getting blasted and his buddy's replacement getting credit for any newly found offensive success. I now .believe that P decided that if his job is on the line, he's going down his way.

The game plans each week are built upon the basic framework of the philosophy (which in our case is to punt quite often) that is preached constantly during practice. Play calling is tied entirely into the game plans. By Thursday evening Weist knows exactly what (in terms of plays to call and when he can call them) he has to work with. There is likely very little wiggle room available to Weist at this point.

He didn't say this exactly. I remember him saying that from a terminology standpoint, it would be about 70% the same.

Reaction Score
But don't you think that is pretty much standard operating procedure for every offensive coordinator of every team? I seriously doubt Alabama's Offensive coordinator had free rein to call whatever he wants whenever he wants it. Ore Oregon's. That is the purpose of game planning to a large extent. To identify what you do well, where the other guy's weaknesses are and how to exploit them. Tendencies at certain times in the game, certain situations and so forth. And most teams have "philosophies" or identities which enter into it, too. Those are really set by the head coach. I would assume that he has input. After all, he's the one who generally gets most of the praise or blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom