Goose (the band) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Goose (the band)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Phish has no soul. And Gordon is a pederast, although that's besides the point.

I, Mr. Yes-Loving-Noob, don't like autotune. But I'd rather listen to an autotuned cat dying than Phish's musical masturbation.
PS: Your shot at Mike Gordon is totally gratuitous and defamatory. I'm surprised you'd make that claim unless you have facts to support it. From what I understand was a child endangerment charge that was dropped when the parents admitted it was a misunderstanding and never even showed up in court. Really an odd and kind of unhinged thing to post here.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Well I never liked Yes because of the whole high-pitched male singing voice bias I have, but that's also besides the point.

I've been seeing Phish live regularly since 1985 and, while I have preferred some phases to others, I would beg to differ both with respect to their "soul" and with how you characterize their music. But that number of shows over decades likely gives me a different perspective and base of experience than you have.

As you have noted, we all have preferences; I just continue to find it interesting that you are apparently unable to articulate what you like about your preferences except as a contrast to something you malign. I rarely trust the ears of people who have that tendency, because they usually have much more of a desire to be judgmental than curious.

You've known me on this board for a long time. Do I strike as an overly negative person who can't articulate what I like about things?

I don't know this band well, as I made clear, but I was responding to someone who specifically compared them to Phish after others had distinguished them from Phish. Also, I thought it was clear that the reference to Yes was a compliment.

Music is subjective. It's always appeared to me that Phish's greatest influences are the Dead and Zappa and I just don't think they're in the same galaxy as either. Some people can't "hear" jazz. I can't "hear" what others hear from Phish. Trey's guitar, which is what Phish is all about, sounds like a "shredding" video to me. And I'm familiar with blue-eyed soul; I don't think they have it. Many, many people whose opinion about music I value disagree with me about Phish. My distaste for them is so great because of how much I was forced to listen to them in college, because my friends all loved them. I saw them once, hoping that I would hear what others heard. I didn't.

Your penultimate line is baseless and insulting. Have we had some lengthy discourse about music in which I had an opportunity to discuss my musical preferences but instead "maligned" a number of musicians? If so, I don't recall.

I am a huge consumer of music, from jazz (bebop, hard bop, fusion and jazz funk) to soul to funk to classic rock (in all its forms) to hip-hop to electronic music to pop. Not a huge jam band fan but I think the Grateful Dead is one of the greatest bands of all time. Now Jerry was a magician.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I saw them once

Your penultimate line is baseless and insulting. Have we had some lengthy discourse about music in which I had an opportunity to discuss my musical preferences but instead "maligned" a number of musicians? If so, I don't recall.
Your judgment about Phish is based on having seen them once; and your contribution to a thread dedicated to the passing of Charlie Watts was to let us know that you liked the Stones better than the Beatles.

The fact that your Phish hate was ushered in with that trash about Gordon is really beneath further comment.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
they got funkier than Phish has ever gotten in 30+ years.
The 12/7/97 Tube says hello.

the funk starts 1 minute in and doesn’t let up. Pure cowfunk

the stop/starts are great

August_West

Reaction Score
Also. As we all know, every time to lawyers argue on the boneyard , an Angel gets its wings…..( it’s been a while!)

victoria secret vs GIF

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
PS: Your shot at Mike Gordon is totally gratuitous and defamatory. I'm surprised you'd make that claim unless you have facts to support it. From what I understand was a child endangerment charge that was dropped when the parents admitted it was a misunderstanding and never even showed up in court. Really an odd and kind of unhinged thing to post here.

It was gratuitous and TIL learned what pederasty is, and although I meant to say something, I didn't mean that. So I withdraw that comment, which was a distraction and stupid.

I have more to say but I recognize this certainly isn't the place for it.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Your judgment about Phish is based on having seen them once; and your contribution to a thread dedicated to the passing of Charlie Watts was to let us know that you liked the Stones better than the Beatles.

The fact that your Phish hate was ushered in with that trash about Gordon is really beneath further comment.

This is a message board. People leave pithy comments all the time without being accused of not sufficiently contributing to the topic. I'm sorry I offended you as a fan of the Beatles (who I didn't even insult) and Phish.

I did mention that I was forced to listen to Phish all through college. That's virtually all I heard. I can't make a judgment about whether I like a band without seeing them live a hundred times? I don't know how you could have possibly understood me be to saying I made my judgment on the basis of a single show. You're just seeing red.

You're taking so much umbrage over a (common) swipe about a band member while you're the one actually making this personal. Have I ever criticized you or anything you've said in the last two decades? You're acting like I shot your puppy.

Zionn, sorry for my part in dragging this thread down.

August_West

Reaction Score
Not bad! Good work from McConnell there.
They were in such a groove in the jam, that when they ended the song they all decided to count it off and do another 7 minutes of the jam they were just in.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It was gratuitous and TIL learned what pederasty is, and although I meant to say something, I didn't mean that. So I withdraw that comment, which was a distraction and stupid.

I have more to say but I recognize this certainly isn't the place for it.

This is a message board. People leave pithy comments all the time without being accused of not sufficiently contributing to the topic. I'm sorry I offended you as a fan of the Beatles (who I didn't even insult) and Phish.

I did mention that I was forced to listen to Phish all through college. That's virtually all I heard. I can't make a judgment about whether I like a band without seeing them live a hundred times? I don't know how you could have possibly understood me be to saying I made my judgment on the basis of a single show. You're just seeing red.

You're taking so much umbrage over a (common) swipe about a band member while you're the one actually making this personal. Have I ever criticized you or anything you've said in the last two decades? You're acting like I shot your puppy.

Zionn, sorry for my part in dragging this thread down.
I'm glad you withdraw the Gordon comment. I don't know him personally but good childhood and college friends do and I've never heard anything along the lines you're suggesting. I have no idea if he’s a creeper, but it seemed a strange thing to interject and it definitely set me off; although I think you took more umbrage when I suggested that I didn’t find Meghan Markle very credible in her Oprah interview. Pithy comments are one thing, but I didn't get the sense that you were throwing the Gordon stuff around in a JeffG's mom kind of way.

I didn’t mean to make it personal, but when you refer to a band as “musical masturbation” and soulless, you are necessarily commenting on the tastes of their fans. I have no problem with different tastes; it would be pretty boring without them. But music is such refuge and source of goodness for me and one of my pet peeves is when people turn music discussions into competitions or opportunities to judge. I was reminded of an acquaintance we've nicknamed "Heady Topper" (unbeknownst to him) because of his penchant for turning every discussion--especially regarding beer or music--into a one-up contest. He has definitely drank more different and exotic beers than I have and he has definitely seen more shows from all manner of bands, but I'd rather jab sharp objects in my eyes than listen to him because I don't derive joy from competing about those things. I am simply curious to discover and experience more of what I like.

Sorry it turned a little nasty and derailed the thread. I offer this pairing of Mike Gordon with Leo Kottke as an attempt to get us back on track; I think you will find Kottke's playing less busy than Trey's, and perhaps more to your liking. I will also commend you to check out the live recording of Trey with the Tedeschi Trucks Band performing Layla and other Love Songs for an example of Trey in a different mode. I think it's one of the best sets of live music I've ever heard.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'm glad you withdraw the Gordon comment. I don't know him personally but good childhood and college friends do and I've never heard anything along the lines you're suggesting. I have no idea if he’s a creeper, but it seemed a strange thing to interject and it definitely set me off; although I think you took more umbrage when I suggested that I didn’t find Meghan Markle very credible in her Oprah interview. Pithy comments are one thing, but I didn't get the sense that you were throwing the Gordon stuff around in a JeffG's mom kind of way.

I didn’t mean to make it personal, but when you refer to a band as “musical masturbation” and soulless, you are necessarily commenting on the tastes of their fans. I have no problem with different tastes; it would be pretty boring without them. But music is such refuge and source of goodness for me and one of my pet peeves is when people turn music discussions into competitions or opportunities to judge. I was reminded of an acquaintance we've nicknamed "Heady Topper" (unbeknownst to him) because of his penchant for turning every discussion--especially regarding beer or music--into a one-up contest. He has definitely drank more different and exotic beers than I have and he has definitely seen more shows from all manner of bands, but I'd rather jab sharp objects in my eyes than listen to him because I don't derive joy from competing about those things. I am simply curious to discover and experience more of what I like.

Sorry it turned a little nasty and derailed the thread. I offer this pairing of Mike Gordon with Leo Kottke as an attempt to get us back on track; I think you will find Kottke's playing less busy than Trey's, and perhaps more to your liking. I will also commend you to check out the live recording of Trey with the Tedeschi Trucks Band performing Layla and other Love Songs for an example of Trey in a different mode. I think it's one of the best sets of live music I've ever heard.

Thanks for the response. I'm glad we're good.

I know I went after Phish but I also made a point of saying that "many, many people whose musical taste I respect" (including musicians) love them. That certainly goes for you and A-Dub, among others. I was trying to explain (in colorful language) what they sound like to me, subjectively. I wish I heard what so many other people hear.

Anyway, time to argue about something else now!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Ive been following Goose for about 4 years - they are a great new bank and have really burst through the ceiling most new bands face after 4/5 years. To sell out Mohegan is a great sign for them - Happy for these guys
Rick M is a real talent with his voice and guitar work - I can see him as a very successful solo artist.
Phish is Phish and you either really like them or just plain don't like them. I am a huge TAB fan and like Phish but love TAB - it just brings Trey to a place where I see him as much more relaxed and free - like JG was with the JG Band. BUT - as with the GDead and ABB - there is nothing like a good old Phish show
Eggy is really good and it will be interesting to see where they take their music as they gain more notoriety. I enjoy listening to them and hope they come out with some more new music real soon.
Saw Umphrey play at Levon Helms studio in Woodstock in June. Wished more established artists them would do so- audience of 200, can come and go and return as you please, bring in your own beverages - a real treat. It was hat as hell that night and the place can get warm. Brought my son the Bethel that afternoon and original Woodstock site - great vibes.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
(sorry buds, buuuuut)
can't listen to anymore smelly fish wannabees, who are just still ded dead wannabees, which are just burlington or boulder jam bands dreaming of playing at red rocks while wearing goofy goat herder hats... that barely register on youtube.
heck, the dead barely register on you tube, particularly when compared to jose balvin or gorrillaz.
that ditty that i posted last week, only a few days after it came out? now 60k hits. getting pop-u-lar. some of youse seriously need a shower - it ain't 1972 no more.

don't hate on popular music.

ps. particularly cranky today becuz we were supposed to be at the Amp in Bridgeport last nite to hear Little Big Town, but the bug ended that. so no, retrothroback music to a time when it was popular only in the minds of a select few ain't workin for me today. sometimes, we play dead music in the barns to put the fleabags on chill.
fire on the mountain? as if. is string cheese incident 'windy mountain' the same song? they all sound like the same song.
having said all that, doesn't mean i ain't cheering for their commercial success. i hope everyone gets what they want.
oops, just realized that parkay uses their version of goofy goat herder hat shtick with the goofy guy eye make up shtick. shtick everrwhere. nu wave called, they want their mascara back.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
hooo, boy. that 'sweet emotion' (cover ur ears aerosmith!) is aboot as legit as the goose 'danger zone.' that is, not. turrible. yeah, i said it. and now, for ur musical enjoyment, i present the real deal
when he sez 'speed' he's talking mph, and not pharma's. ain't nobody in service, out there where life and death are very real, playing either of those two lame copies. garuntee.

accept no substitutes. put down the kwayludes.

August_West

Reaction Score

PS: I used to think @August_West was a "Heady Topper" based on exchanges on the board; then we realized we knew each other in real life (from two independent sources no less), and we've definitely benefited from the opportunity to have several in-person discussions about all manner of things, especially music.
Jimmy Fallon Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Reaction Score
(sorry buds, buuuuut)
can't listen to anymore smelly fish wannabees, who are just still ded dead wannabees, which are just burlington or boulder jam bands dreaming of playing at red rocks while wearing goofy goat herder hats... that barely register on youtube.
heck, the dead barely register on you tube, particularly when compared to jose balvin or gorrillaz.
that ditty that i posted last week, only a few days after it came out? now 60k hits. getting pop-u-lar. some of youse seriously need a shower - it ain't 1972 no more.

ps. particularly cranky today becuz we were supposed to be at the Amp in Bridgeport last nite to hear Little Big Town, but the bug ended that. so no, retrothroback music to a time when it was popular only in the minds of a select few ain't workin for me today. sometimes, we play dead music in the barns to put the fleabags on chill.
fire on the mountain? as if. is string cheese incident 'windy mountain' the same song? they all sound like the same song.
having said all that, doesn't mean i ain't cheering for their commercial success. i hope everyone gets what they want.
oops, just realized that parkay uses their version of goofy goat herder hat shtick with the goofy guy eye make up shtick. shtick everrwhere. nu wave called, they want their mascara back.

I dont think the Grateful Dead's success ever depended on their youtube viewership

Reaction Score
(sorry buds, buuuuut)

Good beat.

Good Cityscape visual. Serious impromptu metro dancing.

Can't quite figure out if the music fuses rock with subtle reggae or more genres are fused into its mosaic. All part of the musical kaleidoscope, methinks.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Good beat.

Good Cityscape visual. Serious impromptu metro dancing.

Can't quite figure out if the music fuses rock with subtle reggae or more genres are fused into its mosaic. All part of the musical kaleidoscope, methinks.
'Can't quite figure out if the music fuses rock with subtle reggae or more genres are fused into its mosaic. All part of the musical kaleidoscope, methinks.'
i don't know. beyond my pay grade. i do know that it's fun, and u can dance to it.
a while back, i asked pops aboot the dead thing.
'i don't get it, i never hear them in contemporary surroundings, except mebbe if those clove smokin girls are around, and fish is something that i eat, not listen to. what was it aboot?'
(paraphrasing) 'well, you had to be there (he always sez that).
'i wasn't, that's why i'm asking you, so break loose with the juice bruce.'
(his name ain't bruce).
'well, back in school daze at Central, you had plenty of white kids, who may be heading out to vietnam, or had family there, listening hard to ccr, doors, stones, and such, and other parts of that group were strictly pop like chicago, elton john, and some disco starting to kick in. country was always there too, even in the city. the jackson 5 were a force, especially for the girls in middle school. a lot of the black kids, who also may be headed off to war or had family there, were tuned into motown and such, yet both 'groups' had a large crossection enjoying it all. our parties were a blast. things like dead, joplin, and such were far off the common spectrum, and you didn't feel that stuff like csny or bob dylan until, if you were lucky enough, you headed off to college, where you now saw the nighttime life for all ur daytime pals from staples, barlow, and such. lotsa angst for that crowd, and it showed in a lot of their music. that 'scene' was a bit boring for me, seemed always the same, too much hard drugs, and becuz of how i grew up, with that smorgesbord of humanity around me. that group, and the tv, kept telling me that this is how it be, but i never bought that, and watched nixon win an absolute blowout, contrary to what that college vibe was (he didn't like nixon, either). they even shut down uni's, leaving many wondering 'what aboot us?' we like a good bowl, bud, babes, and a blowout, but could you stop telling everybody what to do? we got to pay for school, and lots of us want to go places after this.'
iirc, i was like ' sooo, that cranky crowd went on to get hitched, then divorced, with many helicoptering over their one kid, swigging prescripts by the handful, still trying to tell everyone how it be, and that's how we got here?'
'something like that, boy, something like that...'
next up - was dave mathews only enjoyed by girls at private New England colleges? seemed like it to me. lol.

and now, from New Haven, Connecticut,

it's only rock and roll, and i like it.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
ps. still cranky after getting cheated out of seeing these folks yesterday.

im supposed to be basking in the glow of the day after we all got together to have a smokin good time, and a nice loong weekend with friends, old and new, but nooooooo, instead im stuck here writing essays on western civilization and why it's downfall is all 'jambands' fault.
almost 80m hits on this one. turrible. u see any angst here? we don't.
'you can climb the ladder, just don't rock the boat as i barbeque..."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
'Can't quite figure out if the music fuses rock with subtle reggae or more genres are fused into its mosaic. All part of the musical kaleidoscope, methinks.'
i don't know. beyond my pay grade. i do know that it's fun, and u can dance to it.
a while back, i asked pops aboot the dead thing.
'i don't get it, i never hear them in contemporary surroundings, except mebbe if those clove smokin girls are around, and fish is something that i eat, not listen to. what was it aboot?'
(paraphrasing) 'well, you had to be there (he always sez that).
'i wasn't, that's why i'm asking you, so break loose with the juice bruce.'
(his name ain't bruce).
'well, back in school daze at Central, you had plenty of white kids, who may be heading out to vietnam, or had family there, listening hard to ccr, doors, stones, and such, and other parts of that group were strictly pop like chicago, elton john, and some disco starting to kick in. country was always there too, even in the city. the jackson 5 were a force, especially for the girls in middle school. a lot of the black kids, who also may be headed off to war or had family there, were tuned into motown and such, yet both 'groups' had a large crossection enjoying it all. our parties were a blast. things like dead, joplin, and such were far off the common spectrum, and you didn't feel that stuff like csny or bob dylan until, if you were lucky enough, you headed off to college, where you now saw the nighttime life for all ur daytime pals from staples, barlow, and such. lotsa angst for that crowd, and it showed in a lot of their music. that 'scene' was a bit boring for me, seemed always the same, too much hard drugs, and becuz of how i grew up, with that smorgesbord of humanity around me. that group, and the tv, kept telling me that this is how it be, but i never bought that, and watched nixon win an absolute blowout, contrary to what that college vibe was (he didn't like nixon, either). they even shut down uni's, leaving many wondering 'what aboot us?' we like a good bowl, bud, babes, and a blowout, but could you stop telling everybody what to do? we got to pay for school, and lots of us want to go places after this.'
iirc, i was like ' sooo, that cranky crowd went on to get hitched, then divorced, with many helicoptering over their one kid, swigging prescripts by the handful, still trying to tell everyone how it be, and that's how we got here?'
'something like that, boy, something like that...'
next up - was dave mathews only enjoyed by girls at private New England colleges? seemed like it to me. lol.

and now, from New Haven, Connecticut,

it's only rock and roll, and i like it.

Others of us ____agenarians liked Abba.

Speaking of Swedish groups, go to Youtube to hear and see The Fastback, circa now group. Rock and roll it is or like Rockabilly circa now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom