Gonzaga schedules H&H with Kentucky | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Gonzaga schedules H&H with Kentucky

Reaction Score
Read my earlier post. Six BE schools have at least six good OOC games. Three others have five like us. Only Providence has 4 (and they still have a couple games to schedule).
You mean the one where you listed St Peter's as a positive for Seton Hall? Yeah I read that one, doesn't register like you think it does

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
You mean the one where you listed St Peter's as a positive for Seton Hall? Yeah I read that one, doesn't register like you think it does
That is not one of their six.

Reaction Score
Don't think we're going to be able to convince Seton Hall to drop their home game against us.

A Boston game makes very little sense, you guys are lucky you live close enough to CT. to go to games.
I was talking the multiple neutral site games we've had in Newark...FSU, Bonnies, etc...

And to say a Boston game makes little sense makes little sense. It makes a lot of sense. Does make enough sense for a yearly game? Probably not. But I don't think every other year is out of the question...

Reaction Score
Sorry but we are not considered the same way we were 10 years ago. Heck we haven’t won a tournament game in over 5 years, haven’t been ranked in the top 10 since 2014. we are not viewed in the same light as we used to be.
Of course we aren’t, but that doesn’t mean the brand is gone. People know we fell off and we are coming back. I’ll agree with you if we don’t get more done in the next 2 years or so, but even then the name will still have plenty of cache. People in their teens and twenties and older have all seen UConn win 3-4 national championships. That has an effect on people.

Reaction Score
I was talking the multiple neutral site games we've had in Newark...FSU, Bonnies, etc...

And to say a Boston game makes little sense makes little sense. It makes a lot of sense. Does make enough sense for a yearly game? Probably not. But I don't think every other year is out of the question...
Those games in Newark were the Never Foget Tribute Classic which raises money for children of the victims of 9/11.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

You’re correct. I think the big problem is that if we schedule a game in Boston, the season ticket fan base will see it as losing a marquee home game (assuming it would be a brand name school we play).

The games in NYC have typically be a part of challenges UConn was invited too (Jimmy V, Never Forget, etc) outside of the Duke game (they wouldn’t come to CT), Syracuse (made sense for both fan bases) and Nova (part of a 3 game series with a neutral site game accessible for both alumni bases).

Maybe UConn does a biannual event at the TD Garden as part of a New England basketball showcase. 1 night, 4 teams / 2 games. UConn “hosts” (aka always is a participant).

Could include schools like Harvard, Vermont, UMass, URI. Depending on who is projecting to be good that year. Would it be the best matchup in the world? No. But a neutral site game vs Vermont with a large UConn crowd should still be a win. And helps the NET / Kenpom more than Delaware State at home. And not a game the Storrs / Hartford crowd would be “mad” about losing from the home slate.

Reaction Score
That is not one of their six.
I know, it's just showing you went in with a close minded view and then tried to find evidence to "prove" it. Our schedule is fine, not great but not horrible. It's just clear you've had an agenda about the schedule for years and nothing short of 11 games against top 10 opponents will make you happy

The numbers you posted are all inflated by the Gavitt Games that we were not apart of but hopefully will be moving forward. You also chose to highlight the good non P6 games those teams scheduled while neglecting to include ours.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I know, it's just showing you went in with a close minded view and then tried to find evidence to "prove" it. Our schedule is fine, not great but not horrible. It's just clear you've had an agenda about the schedule for years and nothing short of 11 games against top 10 opponents will make you happy

The numbers you posted are all inflated by the Gavitt Games that we were not apart of but hopefully will be moving forward. You also chose to highlight the good non P6 games those teams scheduled while neglecting to include ours.
I already stated we have 5 good OOC; more than half the rest of the league has 6-7. It would be great if we got rid of cupcakes altogether but that’s not feasible. An ideal schedule to me would be 7 P5 (including MTE) plus 4 Ivies (Yale, Harvard, Princeton, and Penn).

Reaction Score
You’re correct. I think the big problem is that if we schedule a game in Boston, the season ticket fan base will see it as losing a marquee home game (assuming it would be a brand name school we play).

The games in NYC have typically be a part of challenges UConn was invited too (Jimmy V, Never Forget, etc) outside of the Duke game (they wouldn’t come to CT), Syracuse (made sense for both fan bases) and Nova (part of a 3 game series with a neutral site game accessible for both alumni bases).

Maybe UConn does a biannual event at the TD Garden as part of a New England basketball showcase. 1 night, 4 teams / 2 games. UConn “hosts” (aka always is a participant).

Could include schools like Harvard, Vermont, UMass, URI. Depending on who is projecting to be good that year. Would it be the best matchup in the world? No. But a neutral site game vs Vermont with a large UConn crowd should still be a win. And helps the NET / Kenpom more than Delaware State at home. And not a game the Storrs / Hartford crowd would be “mad” about losing from the home slate.
100% this. Similar to what Indiana (the state) used to do with Purdue/IU/Butler/ND. Have a double header at TD Garden between UConn/PC playing a different New England school (take your pick from Harvard/UVM/BC/URI/UMass) in a single admission double header.

If the school was smart (and was losing said home game for this) you could easily include it in your Season ticket holders packages as an optional game...

Reaction Score
Those games in Newark were the Never Foget Tribute Classic which raises money for children of the victims of 9/11.

100% this. Similar to what Indiana (the state) used to do with Purdue/IU/Butler/ND. Have a double header at TD Garden between UConn/PC playing a different New England school (take your pick from Harvard/UVM/BC/URI/UMass) in a single admission double header.

If the school was smart (and was losing said home game for this) you could easily include it in your Season ticket holders packages as an optional game...
The one-off charity/showcase game angle is definitely the way to go. Just pick a charity or sponsor in Boston.

The Notre Dame men's/women's doubleheader idea that's been floated around would be great in Boston. Unfortunately ND plays at BC every year since it's one of their ACC rivalries, so they might not be as interested as they might be normally. Maybe if they go to the B1G and no longer play BC every year....

I'm not as big a fan of playing the old Yankee schools. The difference is Indiana/Purdue/Butler/ND are all good teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Calipari the wuss won't play at The Kennel.

"I'm excited about playing Gonzaga. I'm disappointed that we have to go there first, but to make it happen I was willing to do that," Calipari tweeted. "Playing in front of 13K crazy fans in Spokane Arena will be exciting just like it will be in front of 22K fans in Rupp next year.

"Anybody that wants us to play in a 6,000-seat facility, wants us to lose!" Calipari added. "And I get that. I tried to look back and find the last time UK played in a true regular-season road game with 6,000 or fewer fans. I stopped looking after the 70s."

Yes John, most people want you to lose. :)

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

Would rather not split it with PC haha. If we split it with any school, let's do Northeastern and we can call it the Jim Calhoun Biannual Invitational.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Calipari the wuss won't play at The Kennel.

"I'm excited about playing Gonzaga. I'm disappointed that we have to go there first, but to make it happen I was willing to do that," Calipari tweeted. "Playing in front of 13K crazy fans in Spokane Arena will be exciting just like it will be in front of 22K fans in Rupp next year.

"Anybody that wants us to play in a 6,000-seat facility, wants us to lose!" Calipari added. "And I get that. I tried to look back and find the last time UK played in a true regular-season road game with 6,000 or fewer fans. I stopped looking after the 70s."

Yes John, most people want you to lose. :)

Makes no sense financially either. You don't schedule UK and piss away the extra revenue. It would be stupid.

As with the other Boston metro guys, I do think we should play there now and then. We've had quite a few meaningful Boston players over the years, including Shabazz and Jalen Adams. Karaban is actually from Northborough, MA. Given the Alumni UConn has here, it should happen. BET happens in NYC every year anyway. I don't know what the revenue situation is if UConn "rents" TD Garden, might be they'd make more than a game at XL Center or Gampel. A strong P5 might be more inclined to play us there than XL or Gampel.

A New England tournament won't happen, because UConn can schedule one way home games with every OOC New England team except BC. Dan won't want Vermont or Harvard at a neutral site.

Reaction Score
Makes no sense financially either. You don't schedule UK and piss away the extra revenue. It would be stupid.

As with the other Boston metro guys, I do think we should play there now and then. We've had quite a few meaningful Boston players over the years, including Shabazz and Jalen Adams. Karaban is actually from Northborough, MA. Given the Alumni UConn has here, it should happen. BET happens in NYC every year anyway. I don't know what the revenue situation is if UConn "rents" TD Garden, might be they'd make more than a game at XL Center or Gampel. A strong P5 might be more inclined to play us there than XL or Gampel.

A New England tournament won't happen, because UConn can schedule one way home games with every OOC New England team except BC. Dan won't want Vermont or Harvard at a neutral site.

Also live in the Boston. Went to the Uconn-Gonzaga game back in 2009, PC-BC was the other game played that day. I would love for them to play in Boston, again. I get to see their hockey team multiple times a year and even got to see the football team play at Fenway and Chestnut Hill.

Is it that crazy for them to play PC in Boston once in a while? Rotating off who is giving up the home game every few years. I don't think any other New England BB school moves the needle in the city, so I think playing PC or having some kind of "showcase" with PC is the only way to fill the building.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom