Gonzaga Post Game Thread | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Gonzaga Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Hurley went out of his way in the press conference to mention the Big East Refs and for good reason. There isn’t a single BE ref still officiating to my knowledge, but we’re still playing. I’ve heard that there are at least 2 or 3 BE officials that will not have contracts with our league next year. I agree with @Chief00 on this point that Val needs to address this. If UConn is going to carry the banner for this league in March/April and have Hurley up there telling everyone the BE is the best conference then you damn well better start taking the officiating in our league seriously. I’m not saying we deserve to get a favorable whistle, but we deserve evenly called games. We lost at least 3 league games solely due to biased officiating AND had to completely change our defensive pressure to avoid having our whole team foul out. That in a nutshell is what caused our slump.

Like I said in a previous thread our AD is addressing this officiating issue with the league office and they have plenty of stats to back up their case. If the Big East thinks they’re keeping UConn in the league they’ll make the necessary changes
This is spot on, went back and looked:

@ Xavier
UConn 4/9 FT vs X 23/28

@ Prov
UConn 10/19 FT vs PC 29/35

@ Marq
UConn 12/15 vs MU 16/19

vs StJ
UConn 20/27 vs StJ 23/37

@ Seton Hall
UConn 13/14 vs SHU 17/25

vs Xavier
UConn 19/25 vs X 10/13

@ Creighton
UConn 4/4 vs Cre 13/17

Of those losses - 1 was called even, 1 called for UConn, and 5 were EGREGIUOSLY slanted against UConn. 2x, 3x, and 4x FT disparities.

Dan was right to call them out.

Reaction Score
3rd, 4th, not much difference to me. My point was he committed the foul right in front of a ref, the ref blew the whistle, and Sir Charles thinks the refs are supposed to keep count of how many fouls the star players have.
Not Chucks best moment. He sounded ridiculous with his explanation. It was clearly a foul. Timme picked up some idiotic fouls because he was clearly not ready for the speed and strength we bring.

Reaction Score
Timme annoyed me when he first came to Gonzaga. Lots of mean mugging when he was younger. After watching his postgame, I appreciate the work that he put in and hope he has a long and lucrative pro career, although he seems like he will be successful outside of basketball.

Reaction Score
What he said about protecting star players is true for the NBA.

The NBA bases their business model on being entertainment first and foremost. Not athletic competition. They’re one small step above professional wrestling.
The NBA is rigged anyway. No way you have 20-20 point swings multiple times in a game. #Donaghy

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Three things stood out:

1. I have only watched him play a handful of times before, but Timme looked slow and oaf-ish. Every bit the 2nd round pick that he's projected to be. For as great of a coach as Few is, getting cute with his defensive matchup was a poor choice. Timme on Jackson worked out exactly as one would expect and only saved Timme from foul trouble for about 18 minutes. It he has silky moves on the baseline, it's because he's allowed 5 steps. The officials called a relatively fair game and Timme looked genuinely astounded.

2. Four Zags regulars hit from distance at greater than a 35% clip during the season, but Gonzaga as a team couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat on Saturday, and only part of that was defense. Gonzaga had quite a few quality looks in the second half when frustration surely affected their shooting.

3. Hurley spent the interview segment in the second half joking with/about the official on the baseline. He is reinventing his in-game personality on the fly, and it is working. Big East officials are now on notice with any perceived bias.

Reaction Score
This is the first time since GT in 2004 that I’ve watched a late round UConn game laughing and thinking “this is just unfair”. Between Hawk, Joey, AK, and Alleyne raining threes, Adama and Clingan decimating them in the post, and AJax throwing down dunks on dump-offs, I’m not sure how you draw up a defense to stop it when we’re playing like that. Oh- and I almost forgot Newton, who was also excellent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom