Gonzaga Post Game Thread | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Gonzaga Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Timme played over 30 minutes, it wasn't like he wasn't on the floor. Look what happened to Edwards sitting on the bench for all of the NCAA games. That was a real factor. Timme didn't match up well with our bigs. Case closed!
This!!!!

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
UConn was in the tough part of its schedule, and it lost a couple of stinkers to Seton Hall and St. Johns.

Providence, on the other hand, got completely exposed. There were multiple threads on this board where many posters pointed out the officiating issues at the Dunk as being the reason for Providence's "success". Put them on the road, and they suck. Now Providence went home early, Cooley is $2MM/year richer at a better program, and PC is on the fast track to irrelevancy where they belong.

When were they relevant? I must have missed that

Reaction Score
UConn lost lots of BE games. Any truth to referees incompetent or bias behavior? UConn seems to perform well outside the BE.
Hurley went out of his way in the press conference to mention the Big East Refs and for good reason. There isn’t a single BE ref still officiating to my knowledge, but we’re still playing. I’ve heard that there are at least 2 or 3 BE officials that will not have contracts with our league next year. I agree with @Chief00 on this point that Val needs to address this. If UConn is going to carry the banner for this league in March/April and have Hurley up there telling everyone the BE is the best conference then you damn well better start taking the officiating in our league seriously. I’m not saying we deserve to get a favorable whistle, but we deserve evenly called games. We lost at least 3 league games solely due to biased officiating AND had to completely change our defensive pressure to avoid having our whole team foul out. That in a nutshell is what caused our slump.

Like I said in a previous thread our AD is addressing this officiating issue with the league office and they have plenty of stats to back up their case. If the Big East thinks they’re keeping UConn in the league they’ll make the necessary changes

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
The scary thing is that these guys seem to be just scratching the surface of their talents by their unity (unselfishness) and hard work. They are like interchangeable parts on a monster machine that just smashes down other teams. Jackson is truly unique and rare individual. He has these bursts of speed and leaping that almost makes it look like he is an eagle flying around doing things no one else can.
It's really very difficult to put into words. I just love to watch the substitutions to see which warriors are coming in next along with the look of desperation by the opponent as the games go on and the damage mounts.

Reaction Score
UConn is playing out of their minds now. The defensive effort to hold Gonzaga to 54 points is amazing. It doesn't even seem to be just straight up defense. It seems like when the UConn goes on those big runs and keeps the other team from scoring for long stretches they get their opponent so out of sync and screwed up they can't do anything right. Approaching the half when the game was still tight I told my wife they were going to blow the game open any minute because they were getting great looks the whole way but the shots weren't falling yet. Then the shots started falling.
This
Our D was good, now it's downright great. Dre and AK are playing better at containment and there's help in the middle when they get beat.
A 5 point lead feels like a 10 point lead, and a 10 point lead is curtains. And now that Hawk and the outside game is clicking we're unstoppable. #OneForTheThumb

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Gonzaga could have shot 50% from three and still would have lost by 4 points.

Reaction Score
I admit. I was afraid of Timme going into the game after what he did to UCLA. A senior? They hadn’t lost since Feb 4th. I didn’t know how I felt about Sanogo on him early.

Even before he got in trouble, I was surprised how we rendered him a non factor. His points came off mismatches or breakdowns and nothing really in the flow of a normal set.

Reaction Score
Agree, this was a big factor, doubling Sanogo, putting Timme on Andre. Those 2 decisions hurt Gonzaga badly
Amazing to watch Sanogo adding that “No look drop pass to Action Jackson on the baseline”. There’s a lot going on there. Jackson “can’t shoot” so they leave him alone. Sanogo “can’t pass out of the double team”. Hurley “can’t coach”. Love it. One of my favorite plays.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
If we continue to play at the level we are playing now do they really scare you? I think you like me are more afraid of us beating ourselves than any team left simply being better because there is no better team. Only we can beat ourselves. I truly believe that.
That is really quite an insight. I think that is why it was kind of frustrating to see some of the struggles we went through. But it is really coming together now at the perfect time. The combination of talent and depth is unparalleled in CBB. It will be very interesting to see what happens to our roster after Houston, the NBA Draft and the portal. Going to be an interesting offseason as well for the BY. :)

Secure Dog

Blue Collar = Blue Blood
Reaction Score
'That should count as a steal and an assist. If he didn't intercept that pass, it was going straight to Gonzaga.
Yes over the top. Reminded me of the Jeter play when he got the bad throw to the plate. Jackson saw that before it happened. Like he was half a second ahead of everyone else. My nickname for him is Spider-Man.

Reaction Score
His first should have been at about 19:52 of the first half when he hit Jackson on the lob we ran off the opening tip. A pretty obvious foul with a ref staring at the play from three feet away. There’s a reason Andre didn’t convert.

He also had a pretty blatant moving screen in the first half. After calling that all year, the refs seemed to have decided that all screens are OK unless you draw blood or grab someone going by.

Reaction Score
I admit. I was afraid of Timme going into the game after what he did to UCLA. A senior? They hadn’t lost since Feb 4th. I didn’t know how I felt about Sanogo on him early.

Even before he got in trouble, I was surprised how we rendered him a non factor. His points came off mismatches or breakdowns and nothing really in the flow of a normal set.
Few was the only one afraid. He should have put Timme on Sanogo and may the best man win!! Might not have changed the outcome, but it would have changed Zagnuts attitude going into the game!

Reaction Score
Timme and the Zags had no chance and they knew it. I've never been much of a fan of the kid's game and how much the media fawns over him but he had a hell of a career. I liked his comments after the game, he took the whooping like a man.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom