OT: Golf courses in the CT area | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Golf courses in the CT area

Reaction Score
For all the Shenny fans...This is the Griswold Hotel part of the resort, was bought by Pfizer and demoed. late 60s?. Replaced with tennis courts. The hotel sat on what is currently the 16th green. Owned by Morton Plant of Avery Point. Swanky joint in its day.
1654859704929.png

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I was at a reception at Ridgewood last week. Grew up in lower Fairfield county, so I've seen some beautiful courses. Couldn't believe how gorgeous that gem is, especially with I84 practically running through it (club was there long before the highway).

Reaction Score
For all the Shenny fans...This is the Griswold Hotel part of the resort, was bought by Pfizer and demoed. late 60s?. Replaced with tennis courts. The hotel sat on what is currently the 16th green. Owned by Morton Plant of Avery Point. Swanky joint in its day.
View attachment 76846
Stationed at the Sub Base in 1971, and I don’t remember that, so late 60s might be right. I played there now and then and would have remembered something that large.

Reaction Score
View attachment 76846
It’s crazy that it was destroyed but I can’t see how that location ever supported a hotel that big. The resort scene in CT up until the early 70’s was something else. Seems unimaginable now.

Reaction Score
Played Crestbrook in Watertown today, playing it again Sunday. Had a credit I needed to use on Golf Now and wanted a preview to beat my friend Sunday

It’s quickly becoming one of my favorite courses. Some good shotmaking holes, dilemmas on laying up and pretty open on some holes. It was in good shape but the greens played a little slow. Trying 9 holes tomorrow at Chantclair in Colchester. My nephew is taking lessons so I wanted a short, forgiving course for him. I’m not expecting too much but it’s still golf. Happy hitting this weekend guys.

Reaction Score
Played Crestbrook in Watertown today, playing it again Sunday. Had a credit I needed to use on Golf Now and wanted a preview to beat my friend Sunday

It’s quickly becoming one of my favorite courses. Some good shotmaking holes, dilemmas on laying up and pretty open on some holes. It was in good shape but the greens played a little slow. Trying 9 holes tomorrow at Chantclair in Colchester. My nephew is taking lessons so I wanted a short, forgiving course for him. I’m not expecting too much but it’s still golf. Happy hitting this weekend guys.
Haven't played here in a couple of years. They used to have probably the fastest greens in the state for a muni. Strange to hear they were slow.

Reaction Score
Anyone ever played at the Fishers Island Club? Looks pretty incredible.
Played there about 10 years ago. Spectacular in every way. Would love to get another invite.

Reaction Score
It’s crazy that it was destroyed but I can’t see how that location ever supported a hotel that big. The resort scene in CT up until the early 70’s was something else. Seems unimaginable now.
Wood was tough to maintain, especially something that big. Those were the days when the Yale-Harvard Regatta was a big deal. Avery Point was turned into a military base, the nearby airport was built as coastal air base and subs were being built on the current nearby Pfizer property during WW2. Lost its appeal to the monied crowd. About the same time as the demo, the Coast Guard moved its training facility to Governor's Island in NY then UConn started having classes there. Still remember hearing Reveille and Taps every day. Shenny was close to becoming a housing development before the Town of Groton bought it and kept it golf. To your point, I don't think people realize how big a resort industry Connecticut had in the day. I didn't realize it until I started playing places like Banner Lodge.

Reaction Score
In Florida much of the year and the courses there are loaded with homes and condos. The fairways are imaculate there with perfect grass but seriously a course like Tunxis is a better experience even when hitting off clover in the rough or turf that might not be perfect. Don't like houses on golf courses

Reaction Score
I certainly do NOT take it for granted.

And for a ridiculously low annual fee, I can play the 9 hole course here (Hay Harbor) as often as I want after 5 pm in the summer & anytime in the off-season.
Thats terrific! One time as young teens, three of us hopped on a Boston Whaler anchored off the course then carried our clubs across our shoulders to a fairway. played a couple of holes then ran back toward the boat. Caddied there a few times. Now just fish off Isabella Beach. Pequot House still pretty active?

Reaction Score
The Pequot is still there & thriving! No rooms for rent, just the restaurant.

I’m certainly no regular there. In fact, I hate summer. July is (relatively) nuts here, so I try to lay as low as possible & count the days until Labor Day.

Reaction Score
In Florida much of the year and the courses there are loaded with homes and condos. The fairways are imaculate there with perfect grass but seriously a course like Tunxis is a better experience even when hitting off clover in the rough or turf that might not be perfect. Don't like houses on golf courses
No places to get rid of the beer.

Reaction Score
Haven't played here in a couple of years. They used to have probably the fastest greens in the state for a muni. Strange to hear they were slow.
It’s funny you mention this. A guy I got paired up with there told me the greens used to be super fast, not the case anymore. I used to play a great course in FL that had extremely fast greens, but they were consistently fast and I learned to enjoy that and putt pretty well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom