Goal- Tighter, Quicker, Stronger & Faster | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Goal- Tighter, Quicker, Stronger & Faster

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
That's a little harsh. I think it is quite understandable that the decision would cause some people to wonder if it was the best decision. According to the reports, it sounds like it was the right decision, but that doesn't mean people who wondered were wrong to wonder.

My choice of words were harsh, but my comment was in the present tense. Anyone questioning it NOW.

This was a very personal decision and I was upset with folks questioning her before. If they still feel that way, they are idiots.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I too think the 'idiot' comment is a bit too much. And your logic about not playing her senior year cannot be pushed too far. Let us remember that her parents asked for and received a working plan for the year. These decisions cannot be evaluated as dry and fast. It is difficult to say that she had little or nothing to gain from playing with her school team and it's new coach. Nor am I the home school kind of person- though I see a lot of home-schoolers with excellent credentials. Classrooms are the foundation of Democracy. Now, most of us would like out of the AAC because of the lack of competition for wbb. Given your logic it would be interesting if Stewart says she isn't coming back for her junior year because of the lack of competition and, even though practices are much more competitive than some supposedly high level games, they are not same as real games. Would it not be incumbent on US to say you go girl. Personally, I hope this doesn't become a trend in wbb. I have read (here) that she is a smart kid and may have speculated about early enrollment- I would not be happy about that if it was all i the name of playing bb (the coaches may have snuffed that out- who is to say). But I have slso read that she is not the quickest kid on the blocks and she has said things about the college game that tell me she is worried about a few things. That she wants to work on them is fine.
Look past my insult and please tell me why she should get one second of grief for this decision. Her situation is unique and she should get praise for her decision.

Comparing playing in a weak HS league to playing in the AAC is, well, I won't say.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Look past my insult and please tell me why she should get one second of grief for this decision. Her situation is unique and she should get praise for her decision.

Comparing playing in a weak HS league to playing in the AAC is, well, I won't say.

Nobody is giving Ms. Ekmark grief. For some reason you perceive the talking on this board has, or will, hurt her. Who knows if she has read it or even knows the Boneyard exists.
Her situation is unique, but it is because she, her family, created the situation.

As for playing in a weak HS league, it is the same HS league she played in as a freshman, sophomore, and as a junior that got her noticed. I guess it has now become weak, somehow, because she no longer has the D1 players surrounding her at St. Mary's.

Had you not used the term "idiot" in your original post I doubt I would have responded, as there have been other articles on her posted on The Boneyard, since the original discussion back in July, that I haven't commented on.
Perhaps before you hit the "post reply" button you should think twice and re-read what you are going to post.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I just think it is the height of arrogance for total strangers, like us, to presume to know what is best for a young student athlete. Ekmark seems like like an incredibly well-grounded young woman who has a 'plan' and strategy to achieve that plan. Who are we to suggest that her dreams are silly or selfish?

Her father - who was the St. Mary's coach her first three years - also left. His he to be criticized as well? Did he give up on the returning St Mary's players?

MoJet was home-schooled... Seems to have worked out okay for her.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
If she really wants results, I know a guy who can make her better, stronger, faster..................

e668111d509e1ef6569fe3c5114c3dbc.jpg

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Nobody is giving Ms. Ekmark grief. For some reason you perceive the talking on this board has, or will, hurt her. Who knows if she has read it or even knows the Boneyard exists.
Her situation is unique, but it is because she, her family, created the situation.

As for playing in a weak HS league, it is the same HS league she played in as a freshman, sophomore, and as a junior that got her noticed. I guess it has now become weak, somehow, because she no longer has the D1 players surrounding her at St. Mary's.

Had you not used the term "idiot" in your original post I doubt I would have responded, as there have been other articles on her posted on The Boneyard, since the original discussion back in July, that I haven't commented on.
Perhaps before you hit the "post reply" button you should think twice and re-read what you are going to post.

I always think twice and re-read what I am going to post. That one I liked to much I thought four times about it and re-read it 6 times.

You don't get it. Playing WITH her former teammates, many Div I players allowed her to improve. You play better And learn more playing with good players. Now, playing against weak teams and with young, not as talented players, she felt that her best course of action was.....well, we all know, I don't have to repeat it.

Her goal is to be prepared to play at Uconn as quickly as possible and become the best player she can be. I'm sure she has professional aspirations.

How is this different than transferring to a better HS team? Happens all the time including our very own Sadie Edwards.

While I did disagree with folks who gave her a hard time when she first made this decision, if after reading that article anyone that would give her grief now is an idiot.

That is what I said before. Yes it is harsh. But I read this 10 times. And I approve of the message.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I believe, if memory serves, that Courtney had very few HS credits left toward graduation. Since I do not believe that the survival of the union resides in the public HS experience, that does not bother me. My only reservation is the trepidation that someone can want something too much. Now doggy, if you feel the stupid post itch, I would ask you to refrain.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I believe, if memory serves, that Courtney had very few HS credits left toward graduation. Since I do not believe that the survival of the union resides in the public HS experience, that does not bother me. My only reservation is the trepidation that someone can want something too much. Now doggy, if you feel the stupid post itch, I would ask you to refrain.
I didn't use the word stupid.

Do you really believe that what Ekmark is doing is wanting something too much? I don't understand your post.

Maybe I'm just stupid.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

What do you mean when you say "her family created the situation?"

Also, I know you are a regular poster on the UCLA board and I don't recall you ever criticizing Recee Caldwell's decision to leave her high school team in December of her junior year citing "fatigue." Have I missed something?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
In all seriousness, it appears that I have upset a few posters with my use of the word idiot. I'd like to apologize.

I should have just said what Paps said "I just think it is the height of arrogance for total strangers, like us, to presume to know what is best for a young student athlete. Ekmark seems like like an incredibly well-grounded young woman who has a 'plan' and strategy to achieve that plan. Who are we to suggest that her dreams are silly or selfish?"

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I didn't use the word stupid.

Do you really believe that what Ekmark is doing is wanting something too much? I don't understand your post.

Maybe I'm just stupid.

What I mean is that in reading about her preparation for UConn I have a certain unease about whether she is pressing and that could have repercussions.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
What I mean is that in reading about her preparation for UConn I have a certain unease about whether she is pressing and that could have repercussions.
I didn't see anything that would lead me to believe she is pressing.

How is any of this more pressing than any of the dedicated kids trying to be the best they can?

You really have a certain unease with how she is going about this?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Have to say I agree with DD on this even if I might not have used the exact word he chose.
We had a thread or two where a number of posters were concerned with Courtney's choice to forgo her senior year of HS for a variety of reasons.
And her situation was pretty unique so it becoming a trend in HS basketball circles is pretty unlikely, and if it did, it would probably signal an incredible increase in the quality of HS education that the nation would be rightly proud of. She completed all but a few credit hours of her HS diploma by the end of her Junior year - in fact if she had chosen to, she could have taken one or two summer school classes and started Uconn this past fall. While Chong might have enjoyed the company and the team certainly wouldn't mind having another scholarship player, I think it probably would have been a mistake for her as while educationally she was ready, she is still young and it is easier to attend college with age mates. Part of her decision and the reason her family approved the idea was that she set up a schedule and plan for the year. This latest report from the hoard suggests that one of the other concerns some people expressed - not playing organized BB - is not an issue, and she is attacking her development as a player the same way she tackled her HS education. Good for her, and great for the team next year.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I didn't see anything that would lead me to believe she is pressing.

How is any of this more pressing than any of the dedicated kids trying to be the best they can?

You really have a certain unease with how she is going about this?

The pressing would manifest itself next year. There are a lot of "dedicated kids" who do not become gym rats for a year and then find retired NBAers to school them. And, yes, I have a certain unease. Do you have office hours and how much do you charge? I hope she is a world beater, but this is a discussion board, not a debating society for dd. This is a manifestation of how little of substance we have to talk about these days, frankly. Some of the more aggressive posts on the board perhaps have the unfortunate consequence of keeping lurkers or discouraging newbies from posting.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
The pressing would manifest itself next year. There are a lot of "dedicated kids" who do not become gym rats for a year and then find retired NBAers to school them. And, yes, I have a certain unease. Do you have office hours and how much do you charge? I hope she is a world beater, but this is a discussion board, not a debating society for dd. This is a manifestation of how little of substance we have to talk about these days, frankly. Some of the more aggressive posts on the board perhaps have the unfortunate consequence of keeping lurkers or discouraging newbies from posting.
I'm sure Courtney is appreciative of your concern for her pressing like every other freshman does.

John Lucas trains hundreds of young basketball players. Both boys and girls. This is not that unusual.

Yes, I know. I scare lurkers from posting and newbies run at the sight of me.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
This thread feels like the loop from Groundhog Day.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
For what it's worth, I spent about 5 minutes on the floor chatting with Courtney and her entire family after First Night. The entire family is so awesome , it was inspiring. This young lady has values that are kind of like Maya. They have such core values, you could just feel it! She reminds me of Nicole Wolfe( spelling?) looks and personality. I get the feeling her skills and intensity may be a bit different from Nicole's.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Have to say I agree with DD on this even if I might not have used the exact word he chose.
We had a thread or two where a number of posters were concerned with Courtney's choice to forgo her senior year of HS for a variety of reasons.
And her situation was pretty unique so it becoming a trend in HS basketball circles is pretty unlikely, and if it did, it would probably signal an incredible increase in the quality of HS education that the nation would be rightly proud of. She completed all but a few credit hours of her HS diploma by the end of her Junior year - in fact if she had chosen to, she could have taken one or two summer school classes and started Uconn this past fall. While Chong might have enjoyed the company and the team certainly wouldn't mind having another scholarship player, I think it probably would have been a mistake for her as while educationally she was ready, she is still young and it is easier to attend college with age mates. Part of her decision and the reason her family approved the idea was that she set up a schedule and plan for the year. This latest report from the hoard suggests that one of the other concerns some people expressed - not playing organized BB - is not an issue, and she is attacking her development as a player the same way she tackled her HS education. Good for her, and great for the team next year.

Just as a reminder Chong is her "age mate" Courtney was held back. Hopefully I am not an idiot for posting that JK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom