OT: - Global Top 50: Universities | The Boneyard

OT: Global Top 50: Universities

Reaction Score
Another list of top colleges.

Some interesting stats.
  • A total of 12 countries are home to the 50. Five countries (Singapore, Sweden, France, Japan, and Belgium have one each. Two countries (Switzerland and Australia) have two each. Canada and Germany have 3 each. China has four. The United Kingdom has seven and the United States has 24.
  • From a continental perspective Australia is home to two, Asia is home to six, Europe is home to fifteen, and North America is home to twenty-seven.
  • 78% of the schools on the list are in countries heavily influenced by Great Britain including every one of the Top 10. Schools ranked #1, 2, and 9 are in the UK. Those ranked #3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 10 are in the US. I've included the one school in Singapore and the two in China located in Hong Kong in this grouping.
  • In the US, two-thirds are either in the Ivy League or a P5 conference. Conference affiliations are Ivy with 5 schools (ranked #6, 7, 12, 15, 18), Pac12 with 4 schools (ranked #3, 13, 16, 28), Big10 with 4 schools (ranked #20, 25, 43, 50), ACC with two schools (ranked #17 and 34), and the Big12 with Texas at #39.

Reaction Score
Many of these schools are heavily science oriented, leading one wag to call them advanced trade schools. The truth is that while overall rankings are fine, it is the ranking of departments, or schools, within those universities that is more important. I went to grad school at an unranked university but the department I studied in was ranked No. 1 in the world and has been for decades.

Reaction Score
Many of these schools are heavily science oriented, leading one wag to call them advanced trade schools. The truth is that while overall rankings are fine, it is the ranking of departments, or schools, within those universities that is more important. I went to grad school at an unranked university but the department I studied in was ranked No. 1 in the world and has been for decades.
Exactly. Indiana University is not rated highly among prestigious Universities, but its Music School is the best graduate school in the world.

Reaction Score
Lists..lol..Someone should write a book listing all the lists...
Tell Me More To Do List GIF by Disney Channel

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Any national or international ranking is going to be based on an overall view and not any specific field of study and like basketball teams and coaches - the ranking will not take into account the fit for a specific student or athlete. And many of the ranked schools are ranked as much for their post graduate programs as for their undergraduate educational offerings.

As for a bias toward technology - it is sort of like P5 football paying the bills for every other sport, research grants and investments can be enormous drivers of the overall university budget and pay for excellence elsewhere on campus. Unfortunately, English Lit or world history do not seem to attract billion dollar research grants. However, most of the top end of the list presented are renowned for being fabulous for liberal arts as well as sciences.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
FYI - your Ivy list is wrong: easy to leave out the locksmiths school in New Haven, but they are ranked 8th for some reason - 6 total Ivy schools with Harvard, Princeton, and Yale in the top 10, and Penn, Columbia, and Cornell in the teens.

Also interesting to note that London with four listed in the top 50 is definitely the winning city. California with 3 of its state schools listed is very impressive - Cal SD, Cal LA and Cal Berkeley.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Any list like this will be subjective, even if they use quantitative data to compile the rankings. How much do you weight, say research dollars relative to employment rate of grads? I certainly have issues with this list, but I usually have a lot more issues with the USNews and other rankings of US colleges and universities.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
In regard to the people wo did the ranking: which colleges did they graduate from?

Reaction Score
FYI - your Ivy list is wrong: easy to leave out the locksmiths school in New Haven, but they are ranked 8th for some reason - 6 total Ivy schools with Harvard, Princeton, and Yale in the top 10, and Penn, Columbia, and Cornell in the teens.

Also interesting to note that London with four listed in the top 50 is definitely the winning city. California with 3 of its state schools listed is very impressive - Cal SD, Cal LA and Cal Berkeley.
OMG!! You've ruined everything!!! Not only is my Ivy contingent wrong, I've also misled everyone on the number of non Ivy/P5s. Other than that, thanks for the heads-up. :)

When I was looking over my numbers I was trying to figure out which Ivy's weren't included. I was pretty sure I didn't see Brown and Dartmouth and just figured Cornell was the other one. Problem was I did think I saw Cornell and just guessed it was in my memory for some other reason. Probably should have checked, huh? I'm issuing you a full refund plus 15%.

Reaction Score
Confused Head Scratch GIF by State Farm

Wait is that what people mean when they talk about BYU?
You mean BYU doesn't mean Bring Your Ukulele? Probably explains some of the looks I get when I show up hoping for a monster "Tiptoe Through the Tulip" sing-a-long.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Indiana University is not rated highly among prestigious Universities, but its Music School is the best graduate school in the world.
The Kelly School of Business at IU is also highly regarded.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom