GIFFEY | Page 2 | The Boneyard

GIFFEY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Neils need to also work on getting the shot off quicker. His three point stroke is sweet but it's way to slow. In an actual game he wouldn't have time to get that 3 shot off.

could not agree more. this is the exact problem with his in game shooting. he rushes his shot and it throws him off and he shoots poorly. if he could develop a quicker release he could be special.

Reaction Score
He was announced as a guard last night. Could he be the 4th one? He could be a JJ (forgive me for cursing) type sharpshooting SG, irrespective of ball handling. Opens up the middle.

He started @ SG for Germany during the Euro U20 tourney, different type of game, but I think he has the ability to do it here.

Reaction Score
Obviously, the overall talent level of the team declines when he's on the floor...

I don't know I agree with that statement. If you meant level of athleticism, then I would agree. Neil's helped us in several tight spots last year when we needed the hustle and a steady hand. Remember he was a freshman last year.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I think Niels can be a solid defender and with a quicker release can be a good shooter. He is obviously a 4 year player and could end up playing pro ball in Europe. He is the type of guy you need that progresses evenly throughout his time here and can be a good starter as a Senior when most of the current starting lineup has gone pro.

Reaction Score
If NG can hit threes like he did Friday night and improve every year for the next 3 years- he might be able to play elsewhere. You never know - look at dook- if rat face can do it JC can do it.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
i think giff is a good defender and rebounder. i think he'll have a quicker release it kind of looks like rays in a way, which he said is his favorite player

Reaction Score
His shooting is good, his defense is fine. As I've said before, I think the thing NG needs to adjust to bring his game to the next level is his passing/decision-making with the ball. I think he plays great without the ball; good picks, rebounds, great cuts, flashes to get open, finishes well or gets contact a lot when he catches it while swooping into the lane, can shoot off the catch.Not afraid to mix it up with the big guys when the ball is in the air.

What I don't like is when he forces passes inside, and when he holds the ball for 2 seconds or more. Unless he can blowby the guys he's up against, he needs to play to his advantage, running around the floor and getting the ball in places where he can make an immediate assist or shot before his defender catches up.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
I don't know I agree with that statement. If you meant level of athleticism, then I would agree. Neil's helped us in several tight spots last year when we needed the hustle and a steady hand. Remember he was a freshman last year.

He's replacing JL or DD. You can't tell me we're not dipping in talent! This is not say he can't be productive while on the floor, because I know he hauls ass and plays solid defense, but he's not a threat to catch fire like JL or DD could be.

Reaction Score
Giffey's defense as a freshman was better than most college upperclassmen. With this year's team he will get time because of his defense. I also think his passing is underrated. Yes, he forced passes at times, but he also made some really solid post entry passes. The release on his shot is slow, but with this team all he needs to do is make the open shot.

Reaction Score
He needs to improve his decision making. He had way too many turnovers last year.

Reaction Score
Giffey was good enough to make the German senior national team this last summer. His defense is very solid, even when he is beaten off the bounce; he has great recovery ability.
I believe that he hasn't yet internalized be quick but don't rush on offense. He often froze when he had the ball in an open situation last season, then rushed the shot at the last half second.

He can make the open shot, the slow release isn't as critical as mental preparedness to take the shot. If he can retain mental composure, he can go right by players who jump out at him.
Unfortunately or perhaps fortunately, his game time is probably more of a function of how others play than his own improvement.

Reaction Score
calhoun recently stated that he'll be occasionally playing DD and Giff @ SG in upcoming practices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom