Giants hire Joe Judge (Patriots ST/WR Coach) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Giants hire Joe Judge (Patriots ST/WR Coach)

Reaction Score
I love what I heard from Joe Judge.

I think too many coaching hires always go after the hot name. I hate the hot NFL coordinator hire. They are almost totally dependent on how the team he coached perform. I hated the idea of a ST coach, and had never heard of the guy, but I liked what he said.

I like what's going on now. Giants hired a ST guy because that skill set -- organization and creativity -- are critical for a coach. I hate coaches that call their own plays. Only Andy Reid is allowed to do it, but he essentially gives his defensive coordinator control of half the team during the game. I like the CEO route that the Giants are going. He talked about flexibility, finding a way with what you have etc.

The reason the Patriots are so good is coaching. They change their game plan and style week to week and aren't married to their schemes. When they had Gronk and Hernandez, they were explosive passing team with 12 personnel grouping out there. They didn't draft to do that. They got to camp and were like holy # 2.

They just bang on your weakness week to week.
Yeah he definitely has taken that Belicheck approach of maximizing the most out of the talent you have instead of being stubborn and insisting they do one thing and if they can't they just basically rot on the sidelines or kill you on the field with a scheme they can't adjust to.

I do like his and Gettleman's takes on running the ball. When you are a northeast team you have to be able to run and not be mostly reliant on the pass. The advantage that can give you in December and January is huge depening on what team is coming up to play you.

What was the stat that I heard the other day - the top 4 running offenses are in the playoffs while the top 4 passing offenses are not? It's something like that. For all the talk of this being a pass-happy league, running is still vital.

Reaction Score
Yeah he definitely has taken that Belicheck approach of maximizing the most out of the talent you have instead of being stubborn and insisting they do one thing and if they can't they just basically rot on the sidelines or kill you on the field with a scheme they can't adjust to.

I do like his and Gettleman's takes on running the ball. When you are a northeast team you have to be able to run and not be mostly reliant on the pass. The advantage that can give you in December and January is huge depening on what team is coming up to play you.

What was the stat that I heard the other day - the top 4 running offenses are in the playoffs while the top 4 passing offenses are not? It's something like that. For all the talk of this being a pass-happy league, running is still vital.
That stat keeps getting thrown around but I'm not sure where it comes from. By most metrics BAL was the top passing team. If you go by DVOA, 9 of the top 11 are in the playoffs

Reaction Score
Nfl is a passing league. You have to be explosive and passing is an easier way to get athletes in space.

With way the rules are now, heavily tilted towards passing.

Reaction Score
That stat keeps getting thrown around but I'm not sure where it comes from. By most metrics BAL was the top passing team. If you go by DVOA, 9 of the top 11 are in the playoffs
Top 4 teams in passing yards missed the playoffs while the top 4 teams in rushing yards made the playoffs.
I think that is shocking as hell honestly.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
At least they didn't pay the Baylor coach $70 million.

No one knows if this is a good or bad hire. Literally, no one. No track record. Guy could be great. Or suck. What I do know is he will be more organized than Shurmur. You can't work for Saban then Belichick and not be detail-oriented.

He needs a major OC and DC to come in and run their schemes though. He strikes me as a CEO coach.

thats how most describe saban now. So it wouldn’t be surprising

Reaction Score
Top 4 teams in passing yards missed the playoffs while the top 4 teams in rushing yards made the playoffs.
I think that is shocking as hell honestly.

Teams that pass a lot and amass a lot of yardage are often those playing from behind. I bet you didn't know that Jameis Winston threw for over 5000 yards this year. Are the Bucs considered to have a great offense, or do they just sling it all over the field to try to stay in the game?

Conversely, teams run a lot because they're winning, not the other way around.

In other words, the causal arrow runs the direction opposite to what people think.

Reaction Score
Teams that pass a lot and amass a lot of yardage are often those playing from behind. I bet you didn't know that Jameis Winston threw for over 5000 yards this year. Are the Bucs considered to have a great offense, or do they just sling it all over the field to try to stay in the game?

Conversely, teams run a lot because they're winning, not the other way around.

In other words, the causal arrow runs the direction opposite to what people think.
Exactly, which is why looking at offensive efficiency is a much better indicator than just total yards

Reaction Score
I think this will be a minority opinion but I'm happy with it. Was my first choice for OC

Im good with this hire Garrett has always had a good offense,and it helps to have a young coach have someone with HC experience on the staff, if we hire Bill Callahan to be oline coach ill be thrilled.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom