Gerritt Cole | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Gerritt Cole

Reaction Score
Alex Rodriguez Alex Rodriguez Alex Rodriguez

If you say it 3 times, the stupid goes away.
Yes, A-rod did the 'roids. Yankee fans know this. We don't condone it nor do we give him a pass.
But, that has no bearing on this discussion, just as Big Papi doesn't either. This is about pitchers.
Gaylord Perry is in the Hall of Fame. Barry Bonds isn't.
Say that 3 times.

Reaction Score

This tweet was from yesterday, so it's not even counting the 18 runs and 7 bombs the Red Sox gave up to the Jays today.

Edit: Whoops, starting pitchers. So that means only 5 runs and 3 bombs against the Jays today in 1.1IP should have counted on this tweet.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

This tweet was from yesterday, so it's not even counting the 18 runs and 7 bombs the Red Sox gave up to the Jays today.

Edit: Whoops, starting pitchers. So that means only 5 runs and 3 bombs against the Jays today in 1.1IP should have counted on this tweet.

During the Pirates game today, our play-by-play announcer noted that last week spin rate had dropped, Ks were down and BAs were up.

I honestly don't know what's going on, as the color guy (Bob Walk, former pitcher) kept saying that this has been going on forever and it's simply a distraction from the real problem of focusing on launch angles, which leads to three true outcomes, which is killing the game, in his opinion. Walk gave tons of examples of various substances his peers would use and claimed pretty much everyone used something, even in the 80s/90s.

Reaction Score
The Sox did just face Houston and Toronto too, but as i said before with pitchers getting weened off this stuff and the temps going up its the perfect storm for a big uptick in offense.

Reaction Score
The Sox did just face Houston and Toronto too, but as i said before with pitchers getting weened off this stuff and the temps going up its the perfect storm for a big uptick in offense.

You would think but then you have to hit the reality button and look at the Yankee offense. No big uptick expected spin rates or not, they're awful. LOL Wish it was just pitchers "cheating" but it's not. I mean I wish they'd all grab a needle and poke it in their ass, at least they'd be more fun to watch until they all got suspended.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
You would think but then you have to hit the reality button and look at the Yankee offense. No big uptick expected spin rates or not, they're awful. LOL Wish it was just pitchers "cheating" but it's not. I mean I wish they'd all grab a needle and poke it in their ass, at least they'd be more fun to watch until they all got suspended.
Yankee starters have been bad lately. Gotta wonder if something changed with them.

Reaction Score
Yankee starters have been bad lately. Gotta wonder if something changed with them.

Was looking promising then the Kluber injury happened, then Severino gets hurt in his rehab start. Its a combination of things I believe the lack off offense has put pressure on the pitching, rotations do tend to go through a rough patch in the summer heat. Taillon and Kluber didnt start for essentially 2 years you would think the Yankees who are so OCD with resting players would have a plan in place to give starters a brief 10 day DL spot just to use at a rest period.

Reaction Score
I know you're implying that they're doing poorly because they must have been cheating with sticky substances, but they're just regressing to what's expected instead of pitching well above their FIP. Gerrit Cole looked just fine his last start against one of the best offenses in baseball.

1623730386683.png

Reaction Score
Here’s a hot take. Glasnow said that not being able to use sunscreen caused his elbow injury that might need TJS:

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I know you're implying that they're doing poorly because they must have been cheating with sticky substances, but they're just regressing to what's expected instead of pitching well above their FIP. Gerrit Cole looked just fine his last start against one of the best offenses in baseball.

View attachment 68018
Cole has started 14 games this year....he has double digits strikeouts in 5 of those starts...those all happened in his first 8 starts. .he hasn't hit double digits his last 6 starts. Including only 4 tonight.

I think he is still a great pitcher...but he isn't as unhittable as he was earlier than the year. And it's hard not to conclude it's because he isn't using a foreign substance anymore.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Cole has started 14 games this year....he has double digits strikeouts in 5 of those starts...those all happened in his first 8 starts. .he hasn't hit double digits his last 6 starts. Including only 4 tonight.

I think he is still a great pitcher...but he isn't as unhittable as he was earlier than the year. And it's hard not to conclude it's because he isn't using a foreign substance anymore.
The guy hit 102MPH in the 8th inning yesterday. Sticky stuff or not, he's still one of the most talented pitchers in the game. I'll take 8 innings of 2 runs, 4 hits and "only" 4 Ks every outing over the rest of his contract.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Did anyone see the Bauer interview from the other day? Guy raised a bunch of great points.

I love him - it's a shame he doesn't get along with Cole because he would be epic with the NY media. Huge troll but he is hilarious and often spot on with his "crazy" takes.

Reaction Score
The guy hit 102MPH in the 8th inning yesterday. Sticky stuff or not, he's still one of the most talented pitchers in the game. I'll take 8 innings of 2 runs, 4 hits and "only" 4 Ks every outing over the rest of his contract.
Against the Jays in a minor league park, Cole would be the least of my worries on this team.

Reaction Score
Did anyone see the Bauer interview from the other day? Guy raised a bunch of great points.

I love him - it's a shame he doesn't get along with Cole because he would be epic with the NY media. Huge troll but he is hilarious and often spot on with his "crazy" takes.

Good speak out, more players should this is gonna be a very ugly offseason, players gotta force Manfred to change his way or force him out.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Good speak out, more players should this is gonna be a very ugly offseason, players gotta force Manfred to change his way or force him out.
If there is one thing fans of any team can probably agree on, it's that Manfred is a duck*ing moron.

His solutions to baseball's biggest problems over the past few years - from pace of play issues to cheating (illegal use of technology & sticky stuff) - have been so misguided it's perplexing.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Yeah...and that's why I said he is a great pitcher. But he won't be the same dominant pitcher he was in the beginning of the year.

And...that is probably ok. He will still be a top pitcher in the league. Baseball sucks with pitchers dominating the game. Cole and Glasnow raise good points about how they change the rules being important.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What ever happened to the rosin bags?

Seemed like for 100 years it was a happy medium. Give the pitchers some relief from slippery, sweaty hands and it was a uniformly used substance.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
What ever happened to the rosin bags?

Seemed like for 100 years it was a happy medium. Give the pitchers some relief from slippery, sweaty hands and it was a uniformly used substance.
Watch the Bauer video I posted.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Watch the Bauer video I posted.

I saw it.

My point was you can get plenty of grip on the ball with rosin. Bauer showed he could suspend it upside down on his palm with a combo of sweat and rosin. So why the need for anything else?

Reaction Score
These pitchers constantly complaining about grip. Plenty of pitchers have performed well in this sport in the past without some of this crazy stuff being used now.

Suck it up and be honest with yourself that you're just not as good as you think you are.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
These pitchers constantly complaining about grip. Plenty of pitchers have performed well in this sport in the past without some of this crazy stuff being used now.

Suck it up and be honest with yourself that you're just not as good as you think you are.
Nah, Baseball needs to stop messing with the ball every year.

Reaction Score

They've been using stuff forever, spitting or slicing the ball for movement this isn't anything new. Now the glue is ridiculous that Cole and others use, but the sunscreen and rosin who cares it's been going on for years. And it would seem the ball is harder to even grip because they took the "super ball" out of it now, baseball has done crazy stuff with the ball it's on them.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I saw it.

My point was you can get plenty of grip on the ball with rosin. Bauer showed he could suspend it upside down on his palm with a combo of sweat and rosin. So why the need for anything else?

Sweat and rosin will work for guys who play outdoors in the heat in the summer. But come October in Boston or New York those guys won't be sweating, so what do they do then? How about guys who play in AC cooled domes year round? Personally I will sweat if its above 50 degrees, but everyone's body has a different threshold of what would help them produce the "sticky" mixture.

They need either an approved substance pitchers can use (that doesn't rely on them producing their own sweat) or change the ball. I liked Bauers suggestion for how to treat the balls and test the pitchers every inning.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom