OT: - Georgetown's Plan to Increase Student Attendance | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Georgetown's Plan to Increase Student Attendance

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It is.

Unfortunately, when you put a committee together to try to come up with ideas to increase attendance, no one ever thinks to tell the basketball team to stop sucking.
The reality is that Georgetown doesn’t have enough students to solve it anyway. In the peak Georgetown years under Thompson they were a huge thing across DC. Everyone wanted to see them. Students and alumni alone still won’t fill Cap One Arena. They definitely need to win and maybe even more than that.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Tuition is $64,896 this academic year.

And no, Georgetown isn't playing any of those above teams, either.

And room and board is another $25K.

Reaction Score
And room and board is another $25K.
Not quite $25K but I get the point.

The median price of a new home in Georgetown prices at over $1.3 million, and the neighborhood has fought in court and in the court of public opinion for years to force all students on campus; ostensibly, to keep their sale prices even higher. There are homes easily going between $3-6 million within a few blocks of the campus.

Residents have even succeeded in getting DC to create a fixed enrollment cap on students allowed on the campus. As a result, students are paying between $1500 and $2000 a month on campus with an nine month term, and have no other options-- there are no commuters (no cars allowed and no parking to put them) so there are comparatively few ways to escape high room and board.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The reality is that Georgetown doesn’t have enough students to solve it anyway. In the peak Georgetown years under Thompson they were a huge thing across DC. Everyone wanted to see them. Students and alumni alone still won’t fill Cap One Arena. They definitely need to win and maybe even more than that.

Honestly, I never thought the fan support was ever really all that good for Georgetown.

I went to more than a few UConn-Gtown and SU-Gtown games down in DC and it was never impressive.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Honestly, I never thought the fan support was ever really all that good for Georgetown.

I went to more than a few UConn-Gtown and SU-Gtown games down in DC and it was never impressive.
I only went in the Alonzo Mourning era, so who knows. It seemed they had a lot of buzz for the Ewing era. Either way, to really fill that arena, they need a lot more than students, and it won't be easy to get.

Reaction Score

Recency bias--try telling an 18 year born in 2005 that Georgetown is a big deal, which it was.... just not in the last 15 years.

Crowds like this don't help.

attendance_412.jpg

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Georgetown basketball crowds are like The U for football.

Actual student attendance and alumni attendance wasn't what made the buzz.

It was the local and regional fan base which gave it the national attention.

And those fan bases get fickle with their time amd money when teams suck.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Georgetown basketball crowds are like The U for football.

Actual student attendance and alumni attendance wasn't what made the buzz.

It was the local and regional fan base which gave it the national attention.

And those fan bases get fickle with their time amd money when teams suck.
This is a great analogy.

The thing about the bulk of the 'fans' that attended games during the Hoya Paranoia and The U eras was that they were there for the fad, not the school.

Even if either school starts winning, if they can't also recreate the image or mystique, the attendance may not be anything special.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom