Georgetown Postgame Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Georgetown Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
We have one dominate player and the rest are role players. Nothing wrong with that. Role players have certain deficiencies that keep them from being dominate but that is ok and nothing wrong with that. It may be that we are asking or expecting Liv and CW to be dominate players and I just don't think either is. We can still win it all with this group. We just need all our players to play better and I think they are capable of this. Some have played better int he past and I've seen glimpses of what others can be (AE, AM and AG for example), just on an inconsistent basis.

It is still early in this rag-tag season. Let's just hope they get better and they have 2 mos to do it. They have a chance to do that. There are no dominate teams this year. All teams have deficiencies that can be exploited.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The half court offense was not good. You press to try to generate scoring in other ways.
Did over using AM contribute to AM out indefinitely? Risk reward to factor in. This wasn’t an important game for Uconn in this messed up season. That was my point.

Reaction Score
Why does the BY keep on saying we are not a good shooting team? We have the highest fg% in the whole D1. And our 3 point percentage is in the top 1/4. Our fg% is 6th best in uconn history. I know we have bad games, but let's get a modicum of perspective.

Reaction Score
She is running out of time to be exceptional at anything. She is a very good college player, as is CW. It is really unfair to expect anything more from either of them. IMO, they are both role players; Evina and Paige are the two studs.
Liv is double or triple-teamed every game to prevent her from scoring at will .. and .. she stopped Tennessee dead in their tracks with her two momentous blocks in the decisive 4th quarter.

Reaction Score
Why does the BY keep on saying we are not a good shooting team? We have the highest fg% in the whole D1. And our 3 point percentage is in the top 1/4. Our fg% is 6th best in uconn history. I know we have bad games, but let's get a modicum of perspective.
If our three point shooting is really in the top 1/4, there must be some really bad three point shooting teams out there. I'd be surprised if we are hitting 35%. My guess is about 30% from there.

Less than 35% as a team is poor. 40% on the other hand is good so there is not a lot of difference between poor and good. Of course you hope your shooting guards are closer to 45%. Ours are not even close to that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

1) Take your complaint up with Geno who has repeatedly said this is not a good shooting team.
2) 2 point FG % is a function of shot selection. Give me 50 layups and steph curry 50 twenty footers and it’ll look like I’m a better shooter than he is.
its easy to run up good stats when you’ve got a 6’5 player against much shorter players much of the season
3) being in the top 75 on 3s is nothing to write home about. Also almost all the 3s I’ve seen are WIde open — I’d hope for better given those circumstances.

Reaction Score
When I read the posts about this game, I was reminded of a game back in 2017. UCONN had just defeated South Carolina for its 100th victory in a row. Kia Nurse played much of the game with a sprained ankle. The following game, Kia was on the bench in a boot. The team, which still had Gabby, Napheesa, Katie Lou, Crystal, and Saniya, barely won the game against Tulane (by 3 points). The team never got in synch without Kia. It wasn't because Kia was the best player or the point guard. She was just reliable to do certain things on offense and defense and there was an empty space without her. I think that's what happened with Paige's absence.

Once, some years ago, the US national team was playing at the world championships or the Olympics. As usual, they had the best players in the world and they were playing under Geno. They were playing poorly; too many turnovers and too little teamwork. Geno called a timeout and Diana T called the team together. She told them let's just forget the complicated plays and do one simple thing we all know. It worked and they stuffed the opposing team.

We have the players and the talent today. When we lose players that are really important to the flow of play, it may be time to simplify for everyone else.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Overload one side and have the point guard penetrate the middle. It creates a four on three scenario that allows a good passing team to always have an open shot. Of course, those open shots need to go in.
probably not going to get dribble penetration

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
If our three point shooting is really in the top 1/4, there must be some really bad three point shooting teams out there. I'd be surprised if we are hitting 35%. My guess is about 30% from there.

Less than 35% as a team is poor. 40% on the other hand is good so there is not a lot of difference between poor and good. Of course you hope your shooting guards are closer to 45%. Ours are not even close to that.
Team is shooting 34.2% from 3 and 52.2% overall and 60.7% for 2 point attempts. (also 69.3% on FT's accounting for 124 made free throws)

To date the team has scored 851 points (260 2 pointers, 69 3 pointers, 124 one pointers)
If we eschewed all 3 point attempts and only shot 2 pointers we would at the same rate of efficiency we would have scored 868 points. Our 3 point shooting is hurting the team over all. Also more two point shots means more offensive rebounds and more second chance points and fewer fast breaks by the opposition allowing defense to set up. Also more two point shots mean more and 1's which cannot be considered at this time.

If we had made 40% of 3's we would have scored 884 points 3.1 more points per game. Evaluate the significance of 3 points per game. To date it would be no difference in our record.

Please don't tell me we need to shoot 3's to bring the defense out because that assumes we are now shooting at a rate that is bringing the defense out now. I don't think we are because you see Olivia double teamed every trip down.

Just thinking. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Did over using AM contribute to AM out indefinitely? Risk reward to factor in. This wasn’t an important game for Uconn in this messed up season. That was my point.
Certainly AM racked up court minutes until last couple of games. Did coaches know she was playing hurt or did she hide it? Obviously Geno wanted her on the floor to facilitate the ball movement he loves. Did he start to limit her minutes because they feared an injury? After Tennessee what happened? Whatever. Get well, kid. We need you. More importantly, get well for yourself.

Reaction Score
One thing I've noticed is a lack of effective offensive rebounding (compared to past UConn teams). In particular, our guards & wings are not crashing the boards consistently, with the exception of AG & occasionally Paige. Most of the times, they are cautious and get back on defense. Last year, CD seemed to always crash the boards. Before that, Nurse, Jefferson, etc. Thats one way to get more easy baskets when the outside shot is not falling. This team just does not seem to be aggressive enough.

Reaction Score
probably not going to get dribble penetration
Paige can certainly do that, but I’ve seen Geno use a 1-2-2 offensive set. That is really out of favor in today’s game.

Reaction Score
Team is shooting 34.2% from 3 and 52.2% overall and 60.7% for 2 point attempts. (also 69.3% on FT's accounting for 124 made free throws)

To date the team has scored 851 points (260 2 pointers, 69 3 pointers, 124 one pointers)
If we eschewed all 3 point attempts and only shot 2 pointers we would at the same rate of efficiency we would have scored 868 points. Our 3 point shooting is hurting the team over all. Also more two point shots means more offensive rebounds and more second chance points and fewer fast breaks by the opposition allowing defense to set up. Also more two point shots mean more and 1's which cannot be considered at this time.

If we had made 40% of 3's we would have scored 884 points 3.1 more points per game. Evaluate the significance of 3 points per game. To date it would be no difference in our record.

Please don't tell me we need to shoot 3's to bring the defense out because that assumes we are now shooting at a rate that is bringing the defense out now. I don't think we are because you see Olivia double teamed every trip down.

Just thinking. :)
Yes it adds 3 points to our total but you are underestimating the ripple effect of this. This is one less chance for the opposing defence to run out with the missed three and hitting at 40% will open up the middle more for Liv. This will cause teams to play us more honest from three, which should lead to dribble drives with pull-up twos and assists for more twos, not to mention drawing fouls.

If we can make 10 threes a game and shoot it at a 40% rate, we can and will affect how the defense plays us. Yo can see that during those short stretches that we actually hit a three or two that the offense flows better.

Liv will not be double teamed if we can hit the three. We are not shooting well enough to bring the defense out and that is why we have up to 10 wide open threes every game. But we can't make them pay, so they just let us chuck it up from three.

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
This will cause teams to play us more honest from three, which should lead to dribble drives with pull-up twos and assists for more twos, not to mention drawing fouls.
@jazz you have missed my point. Our current rate of making 3's concerns no one. Liv being free underneath is their primary concern. Hence, Liv is double and triple teams when she gets the ball. We can't dribble drive because the defense is packed in. All your 'if' scenarios are correct. But my point is what is happening right now. This is our current situation. Why do you think Geno is crying for our one high percentage shooter to shoot more. He wants all your 'if' scenarios to come to fruition too.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
Paige can certainly do that, but I’ve seen Geno use a 1-2-2 offensive set. That is really out of favor in today’s game.
True the only rub is that besides being our best at penetrating a D, she is also our one high percentage 3 point shooter. That's why Geno is screaming for her to shoot more to open stuff up for CW and E who can slash and score.

Reaction Score
We have one dominate player and the rest are role players. Nothing wrong with that. Role players have certain deficiencies that keep them from being dominate but that is ok and nothing wrong with that. It may be that we are asking or expecting Liv and CW to be dominate players and I just don't think either is. We can still win it all with this group. We just need all our players to play better and I think they are capable of this. Some have played better int he past and I've seen glimpses of what others can be (AE, AM and AG for example), just on an inconsistent basis.

It is still early in this rag-tag season. Let's just hope they get better and they have 2 mos to do it. They have a chance to do that. There are no dominate teams this year. All teams have deficiencies that can be exploited.
Since I have been critical of ONO in the past, have to comment. There are two types of games I watch. 1. In League, which are usually like scrimmages 2. Tough games like TN. The scrimmages offer little insight since ONO can usually do anything she wants. Against TN, ONO was tough, particularly in the 2nd half. Got several contested rebounds, blocks, and defended well all when it mattered. Didn't do anything spectacular, but did what it took to win. Likely the 3rd best center in US behind Boston and Collier.

Reaction Score
Regarding perspective, most of our fans make comparisons to Uconn norms and expectations, not to the average Division 1 team. By Uconn standards, the 2pt percentage is still outstanding, the 3pt percentage mediocre, and the FT percentage downright pathetic.

So how can a terrible FT% and great 2pt% coexist? Because we are frequently playing small ball with many passers who can get the ball to people inside, and for wide open shots. Not only Paige, but remember Evina is like a second point guard on the floor, and Anna could be described as a point/forward.

Last year's team was not nearly as good at producing easy shots, but with two departed great long range shooters in Crystal and Megan, they could frequently make a good percentage of difficult ones. Next year of course we should have both traits on the roster, but even though it seems ridiculous on the surface, I think Geno while exaggerating, does have a below average "shooting " team for him, and he feels the offense is producing good shots that they should be making more often.

A high 2 pt FG% and low FT% is far more indicative of a team that is better at passing and getting easy shots, than pure shooting ability.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Since I have been critical of ONO in the past, have to comment. There are two types of games I watch. 1. In League, which are usually like scrimmages 2. Tough games like TN. The scrimmages offer little insight since ONO can usually do anything she wants. Against TN, ONO was tough, particularly in the 2nd half. Got several contested rebounds, blocks, and defended well all when it mattered. Didn't do anything spectacular, but did what it took to win. Likely the 3rd best center in US behind Boston and Collier.
Please explain when it doesn't matter that ONO defends well. My criticism of her will continue until she achieves a level of consistency and realizes that it matters now more than ever. She is not even close to being the 3rd best center in NCAA.

Reaction Score
Defending ONO is a new role for me. :confused:Not sure of your point on "defending well" but ONO has shown the ability to ramp up at end of games. Felt she did well against two top teams we have played - TN and DePaul. While I do not put her in Boston's category, watch a lot of SEC, ACC, and Big East games and haven't seen any other centers as good as her. Open to suggestions but suspect it will be a small list.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Defending ONO is a new role for me. :confused:Not sure of your point on "defending well" but ONO has shown the ability to ramp up at end of games. Felt she did well against two top teams we have played - TN and DePaul. While I do not put her in Boston's category, watch a lot of SEC, ACC, and Big East games and haven't seen any other centers as good as her. Open to suggestions but suspect it will be a small list.
You posted Liv "defended well all when it mattered." When doesn't it matter? Liv was MIA in big games for her entire Sophomore season and struggled against Providence this season. Good luck in your new role.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
After watching Key from Tn. for a couple of games she appears to be coming on strong, is stronger than Liv, plays to her strengths while moving very well. Is she better than Liv, it's getting darn close. Liv would impress me more if she used her quickness near the hoop more, also she is tall, what's with her holding the ball so low making it easier for smaller players to attack the ball. What I have mentioned can be worked on and has nothing to do with physical limitations just desire to do it better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree all around but if she is the 3rd best center and she might not be...she is waaaaaaay behind the other two.

Reaction Score
@jazz you have missed my point. Our current rate of making 3's concerns no one. Liv being free underneath is their primary concern. Hence, Liv is double and triple teams when she gets the ball. We can't dribble drive because the defense is packed in. All your 'if' scenarios are correct. But my point is what is happening right now. This is our current situation. Why do you think Geno is crying for our one high percentage shooter to shoot more. He wants all your 'if' scenarios to come to fruition too.
Why does our current rate of making 3s concern no one? Wouldn't Liv be more free if we hit a higher percentage? I realise we can't dribble drive as much with a packed in defense, although I think we can get by the guards and pull up before the bigs who are packed in. We have done this on a number of ocassions with limited success. I agree with your analysis of our current situation. I think we get out of that by hitting more threes, which I think you agree with although you say that our current rate of making threes concerns no one. Do you mean the opposition or the uconn coaches?

I've heard Geno say something to the affect that he doesn't care too much about our percentage but wants 10 threes a game. I don't believe he really meant that he didn't care about the percentage. I'm paraphrasing but IIRC, that was the jest of what he said.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
Wouldn't Liv be more free if we hit a higher percentage?
Yup, so how do we hit a higher percentage? That's my point we have not shot any better and probably will not until Paige shoots more at which time her percentage will go down (that's a factor of probability)

Reaction Score
Yup, so how do we hit a higher percentage? That's my point we have not shot any better and probably will not until Paige shoots more at which time her percentage will go down (that's a factor of probability)
We need to limit the minutes CW plays/shoots .. Ania, Nika and yes even Autumn [supposedly a dead-eye shooter} need more minutes/opportunity .. I mean, do we really need CW playing 40 minutes vs Georgetown when we are ahead 39-11 at halftime .. give someone else a chance .. CW has had her chance(s) and has proven to be an unreliable shooter .. it's time to change course slightly for UConn's continued success, eh?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom