Geno's Comments on Recruits | The Boneyard

Geno's Comments on Recruits

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In past years, once our incoming freshman class was finalized, Geno put out public statements on each player's skills, personality, etc. I don't recall any statements last fall, after Morgan and Allie signed their LOIs. I assumed it was because we still had offers out to Sarah Strong and Emely Rodriguez. In the last 2 weeks, Sarah chose UConn and Emely chose UCF. Has anyone seen the type of statements I'm describing? Do we expect to see them?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
In past years, once our incoming freshman class was finalized, Geno put out public statements on each player's skills, personality, etc. I don't recall any statements last fall, after Morgan and Allie signed their LOIs. I assumed it was because we still had offers out to Sarah Strong and Emely Rodriguez. In the last 2 weeks, Sarah chose UConn and Emely chose UCF. Has anyone seen the type of statements I'm describing? Do we expect to see them?

Geno talked about Cheli and Ziebell when they signed.

Reaction Score
I was hoping they’d come after Sarah signed her NLI since it’s the signing period this week. I’ve seen other teams do it this week (Ohio State), but UConn still hasn’t posted. Maybe she wants to do the photo shoot? I’m waiting for the post like this:

Reaction Score
From what I have read and seen on YOU Tube, Allie Ziebel is a shooter , especially the Threes. I watched her make and win the 3-point shooting contest and win going away. no-one close. ALLIE WILL BE A PERFECT FIT. Morgan Cheli is another perfect fit in that I agree with Geno's assessment that Morgan is like Katie Lou, GOOD in the whole area of play making and defense and rebounding. Morgan is quick and a solid player and is a GOOD assist provider. Their future and Uconn's future is assured. They both seem to be unselfish players and has shown excellent team work. GO FRESHMEN!!! GO SOPHOMORES!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Thanks. I think that was from an interview. I don't recall seeing a formal statement on the UConn site, nor do I recall any comments from Geno on Sarah.
Geno cannot publicly comment on Sarah until he receives her NLI. There's a lot going on - WNBA draft, portal, etc, so I'm sure he'll do it at some point.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Thanks. I think that was from an interview. I don't recall seeing a formal statement on the UConn site, nor do I recall any comments from Geno on Sarah.
There have been years where no official statement was posted to the UConn athletic site.

Reaction Score
All three players fit enormous needs.

With Allie, she provides the team almost assured consistency of hitting wide open shots which has plagued them the last about 5 years. UCONN would have one great shooter, sometimes two, but even then not all the time is your best or 2nd best going to be on. As Geno points out in the article, Allie can “score.” She’s a scorer (I don’t believe she is a one-on-one scorer though but obviously can’t say at this point,) and Geno loves Offense and loves Scoring.

In re to Morgan she is perfect all over the floor because she can be a pg but just as important she compliments Sara amazingly well. Think of a particular lineup, Paige, Azzi, Morgan, Sarah and Jana. You could put Morgan at the high for the high low in which she can either dump the ball inside o Jana, take a 15 footer, or use her pg skills to pass to three amazing outside shooters. On the Defensive End she guards the quicker player while Sarah guards the more interior player.

In regard Sraha Strong, as a freshman, she is the 2nd most important basketball player to this past Final Four team behind Paige because she has the capability of filling in the fundamentals at a very high performance “relied upon scoring inside/out, excellent passing, and rebounding.” Her and Paige make everyone around them much more dangerous at the offensive end. And her potential rebounding and ability to score inside is exactly what they need.

While nothing is assured, generally when you get a #1 recruit, that player’s floor is probably going to show to be a at least a “pretty good” player. But her potential and what she can do for the team warrants consideration for her being the 2nd option to get the ball to under all circumstances. That means in big games she more likely to get huge minutes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom