Geno's Biggest Coaching Mistake? | The Boneyard

Geno's Biggest Coaching Mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
As someone who agrees (at least after the fact) with about 98% of Geno's coaching decisions, I offer this topic for off-season discussion:

In your opinion, what was Geno's biggest coaching mistake in recent years? I'm not talking about recruiting misses, or indeed anything related to recruiting, transfers, or early departures. I am asking about the decisions he made, taking the roster each year as a given -- decisions with respect to the starting five, the bench minutes, the offensive and defensive strategies, or specific in-game decisions about substitutions, time-outs, etc.

Here is my nomination (I recognize that it is a close decision, and I can see the rationale for what Geno decided):

At the beginning of the 2017-18 season, Geno had to decide about the starting lineup for the year. Of the previous year's starters, only Saniya Chong had graduated, so four out of five starting positions were set in stone: Lou, Napheesa, Kia, and Gabby. For the fifth spot, Geno had to decide between Crystal and Azura. He chose Crystal, and what a disaster -- the team notched 36 consecutive wins including 8 wins over ranked teams, before losing to Notre Dame 91-89 in overtime on the shot by Arike.

I think he should have made Azura the fifth starter. It would have caused some discomfort -- none of the other four starters was a natural point guard, so someone would have had to do a position transplant. Moreover, the offense would have had to change entirely to work around a big post in the paint, who would have needed a touch on almost every possession, instead of the small/fast approach that UConn actually used. Finally, Azura didn't really want to be a paint banger (just like Liv today), and might not have taken to the role that Geno would have given her.

But in the end, UConn needed the size in the paint if they were going to win an NC that year, and the actual lineup did not provide that. If they had gotten by Notre Dame in the semifinal, there is virtually no chance that they could have dealt with Baylor's Cox and Brown in the Final. It would have been better to groom Z as the inside presence that the team needed from the beginning of the season, so that by tournament time, she would hopefully have been comfortable in that role.

And I think there is at least a chance that if Azura had received the grooming that such a role would have entailed, she would have used her last year of eligibility in 2018-19. If she had, I think UConn would almost certainly have won an NC in that year.

Reaction Score
When I used to play, sometimes I would watch the starters struggle. Then, I would get subbed in and think "okay, finally, now I can turn this thing around". And then before I could blink, I'd done 3 turnovers and it turns out the best players on the team (the starters), were struggling because conditions out on the court were pretty difficult, and sitting on the bench I had no clue what it was really like. Which is to say, I have no idea where to even start with this question!

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
As someone who agrees (at least after the fact) with about 98% of Geno's coaching decisions, I offer this topic for off-season discussion:

In your opinion, what was Geno's biggest coaching mistake in recent years?

I think he should have made Azura the fifth starter. It would have caused some discomfort -- none of the other four starters was a natural point guard, so someone would have had to do a position transplant. Moreover, the offense would have had to change entirely to work around a big post in the paint, who would have needed a touch on almost every possession, instead of the small/fast approach that UConn actually used. Finally, Azura didn't really want to be a paint banger (just like Liv today), and might not have taken to the role that Geno would have given her.
The biggest problem with your analysis, I think, involves Azura herself:
As you note yourself, she was not enthusiastic at all about living and acting in the paint. I don't know how proficient she might have been had she been pushed/encouraged more vigorously, but she definitely was not a strong enough inside scoring threat that season to elevate UConn's offense decisively more powerful. She was not going to be, like Breanna Stewart, a threat to score both down low and outside. I can't see how Azura's lack of commitment is Geno's "mistake." Nor can we lay her surprise departure at Geno's feet.

Reaction Score
As you note yourself, she was not enthusiastic at all about living and acting in the paint. I don't know how proficient she might have been had she been pushed/encouraged more vigorously, but she definitely was not a strong enough inside scoring threat that season to elevate UConn's offense decisively more powerful. She was not going to be, like Breanna Stewart, a threat to score both down low and outside. I can't see how Azura's lack of commitment is Geno's "mistake." Nor can we lay her surprise departure at Geno's feet.
I'm just surprised that GA either wasn't aware of her reluctance to play inside from her time at Duke, or didn't have an understanding with her about being an inside offensive presence prior to taking her in as a transfer. Her drifting around the perimeter missing 3s was a waste of possessions. He obviously had a lot more patience than I would've had.

Reaction Score
By far the only questionable call over the years, was not getting the ball to Lou in the final game which we lost. that year (final four I believe) Lou was on fire, she could have shot from half ourt and put it in. Nothing at all against Soniya, but Lou was where the pass directly should have gone. Lou, for her part, during the time out should have told Geno feed me, or Geno should have said, "Lou, go win this game for us."

Seriously, that should have been another NC. Bet Geno stays up some nights thinking why didn't I call Lou's direct number. To us fans she was open as the ball was being in bounded.

Reaction Score
I'd say it was versus Arizona. Not putting AE in with Liv when all of their bits had 4 fouls late in the 3rd. Nike, I love her, but he got distracted with her being back. If you feed AE and Liv at that point in the game it's highly likely it's an easier bucket. Maybe a few easy buckets and one or two Arizona bigs fouling out changes the momentum of the game. I just felt like that was a pivotal moment.

Reaction Score
By far the only questionable call over the years, was not getting the ball to Lou in the final game which we lost. that year (final four I believe) Lou was on fire, she could have shot from half ourt and put it in. Nothing at all against Soniya, but Lou was where the pass directly should have gone. Lou, for her part, during the time out should have told Geno feed me, or Geno should have said, "Lou, go win this game for us."

Seriously, that should have been another NC. Bet Geno stays up some nights thinking why didn't I call Lou's direct number. To us fans she was open as the ball was being in bounded.
For the life of me I don't know how Saniya messed that up. Was she in the huddle? What part of that situation says drive so early? To be fair, I believe Pheesa missed a free throw late in regulation, I'm sure she regrets that.

Reaction Score
Azura coming off the bench was the wrong move. Having four players with that much experience would be hard to sit one of them. Imo Kia could run the point with Lou as the other guard with 3 forwards. AS would have stayed if she had more minutes and probably felt disrespected playing off the bench. If you wanted to groom Crystal as your starting PG. Why not start her from Day 1? Saniya really didn't prove anything her first 3 years on the team. I never believed in playing someone because they were a Sr.

Reaction Score
For me, it was the Last game this year. IMO and my opinion only......Geno needed to calm the kids down and just play their kind of ball. We were not face-guarding their best player , missing zillions of layups and Geno was not making adjustments which he usually does. Again, these are my opinions. I love UCONN and feel fortunate to live driving distance to games next year. But, Geno, especially didn’t settle these kids down in the Arizona game which we should have won! My opinion only! Just love these kids and am looking forward to seeeing them play in-person next season!
7 months and counting down......

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Arizona game could have changed with the defense we used against Ari Mac. Stanford used a big three zone against her. When she would drive into the middle they had three bigs surround her and make it hard to shoot over or pass because of their size. They had been playing her for three years so they had an advantage. Why we didn't film her and find a solution is concerning. Also, I agree that we should have given Aaliyah more touches down low. I think she could have scored more and we would have had Arizona make an adjustment. Post up Paige against MacDonald more than once. Shoulda Coulda Woulda

Reactions: mmt
Reaction Score
When I used to play, sometimes I would watch the starters struggle. Then, I would get subbed in and think "okay, finally, now I can turn this thing around". And then before I could blink, I'd done 3 turnovers and it turns out the best players on the team (the starters), were struggling because conditions out on the court were pretty difficult, and sitting on the bench I had no clue what it was really like. Which is to say, I have no idea where to even start with this question!
Look at you! Bringing snarky logic. Well done, my friend. :cool: :)

Reaction Score
The Arizona game could have changed with the defense we used against Ari Mac. Stanford used a big three zone against her. When she would drive into the middle they had three bigs surround her and make it hard to shoot over or pass because of their size. They had been playing her for three years so they had an advantage. Why we didn't film her and find a solution is concerning. Also, I agree that we should have given Aaliyah more touches down low. I think she could have scored more and we would have had Arizona make an adjustment. Post up Paige against MacDonald more than once. Shoulda Coulda Woulda
McDonald shot 7-17 and some of you act like she pulled a “Michael Jordan“. Yes, she played a really good game but Uconn lost the game on offense. The 5 starters shot 19-52; that is not going to win many FF games, rounded up 37%. Bueckers,for whatever reason, played relatively passively, she never hunted shots as she did at other times when the team was down.
Is the loss on her, of course not; but it kind of is one data point of confirmation that Auriemma knew the team very early and very well and had a pretty good idea she needed to change her MO for them to reach the promised land. He obviously was anticipating that kind of game somewhere late in the tournament. Again, in no way is this meant as a knock on her, she is a terrific player who had an absolutely great year, but rather an affirmation in my mind that Auriemma was right.

Reaction Score
For the life of me I don't know how Saniya messed that up. Was she in the huddle? What part of that situation says drive so early? To be fair, I believe Pheesa missed a free throw late in regulation, I'm sure she regrets that.
I know many if not most will disagree with me on this. I am quite sure that Saniya was fully aware of what was said in that last huddle. She was the ultimate team player (probably to a fault) so I cannot believe she went rogue and said to herself I'm doing this by myself. I believe it was the play that Geno called, it just happened with a bit too much time left on the clock ( if the play failed). As the play unfolded, as I remember it, Morgan was outside the lane to the right with two or three Huskies along that side of the lane. No one broke out to receive a pass from Saniya, she curled right down the middle of the lane for what was supposed to be a easy layin. The problem was that the defenders did not close the hole on the right side of the lane and William slide through right into Saniya's path. We don't know for sure if that was the play called, neither Geno or any of the players has shared that. Geno did say postgame that 'you can't blame the kid, she just tried to win the game for us - it just happened with too much time on the clock'. If the play worked as designed Saniya gets the layup, we are up 66-63 with time to set up our defense, they need a three to tie. I think we hold them and easily beat South Carolina and bring home our fifth NC in a row.

Reaction Score
Allowing Amber L'orange to shoot a three to tie us with seconds left at Stanford. Should have fouled before and only give up two points.
We lost the game in OT, and a a pretty long streak.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Soooo... who was going to run the offense?
Kia Nurse @ PG, KLM @SG, Gabby Williams @ SF, Napheesa Collier PF, Azura Stevens at Center.
You would then have Megan Walker coming off the bench to back up either forward position and Crystal to back up either guard position.

Reaction Score
I know many if not most will disagree with me on this. I am quite sure that Saniya was fully aware of what was said in that last huddle. She was the ultimate team player (probably to a fault) so I cannot believe she went rogue and said to herself I'm doing this by myself. I believe it was the play that Geno called, it just happened with a bit too much time left on the clock ( if the play failed). As the play unfolded, as I remember it, Morgan was outside the lane to the right with two or three Huskies along that side of the lane. No one broke out to receive a pass from Saniya, she curled right down the middle of the lane for what was supposed to be a easy layin. The problem was that the defenders did not close the hole on the right side of the lane and William slide through right into Saniya's path. We don't know for sure if that was the play called, neither Geno or any of the players has shared that. Geno did say postgame that 'you can't blame the kid, she just tried to win the game for us - it just happened with too much time on the clock'. If the play worked as designed Saniya gets the layup, we are up 66-63 with time to set up our defense, they need a three to tie. I think we hold them and easily beat South Carolina and bring home our fifth NC in a row.
I mostly agree with your analysis but the game was tied 64-64 when Chong lost the ball out of bounds so if she had made it Uconn would have been up 2 (not 3).

Reaction Score
Not starting Azura in 3rd quarter vs ND in 2018 Semifinal. Imo that cost UConn a ring. Allowing Renee (1-9 3s, several taken way too early in the shot clock) to shoot us out of the 2008 Semifinal vs Stanford. Not saying UConn would have won, just saying that eliminated any chance. Allowing Saniya to take the last shot in the 2017 Semifinal vs MS ST. The fact that UConn lost in that scenario, before at least getting to a 2nd OT, is unforgiveable.

Reaction Score
Not starting Azura in 3rd quarter vs ND in 2018 Semifinal. Imo that cost UConn a ring. Allowing Renee (1-9 3s, several taken way too early in the shot clock) to shoot us out of the 2008 Semifinal vs Stanford. Not saying UConn would have won, just saying that eliminated any chance. Allowing Saniya to take the last shot in the 2017 Semifinal vs MS ST. The fact that UConn lost in that scenario, before at least getting to a 2nd OT, is unforgiveable.
I agree especially with the first one about not having Azura start the third quarter. In the first half ND was up around double-digits. Z came in and Uconn not only came back and took the lead but looked like they were about to pull away and get an insurmountable lead. ND settled down and rallied and a lot had to do with Z not being out there anymore. They had no answers for her and she should have stayed in the game until they found one.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm just surprised that GA either wasn't aware of her reluctance to play inside from her time at Duke, or didn't have an understanding with her about being an inside offensive presence prior to taking her in as a transfer. Her drifting around the perimeter missing 3s was a waste of possessions. He obviously had a lot more patience than I would've had.
A couple of observations regarding Azura during that season. Azura was an effective inside presence for UCONN she shot 61% for the season led the team in rebounding and blocked shots. More significant is that ND had no good matchup for Azura in either game that season. A slightly different take on @JoePgh opinion: IMO Geno mistake wasn't in not starting Azura, Iit was not playing her more minutes on the season and specifically in the FF game against ND. For the season Azura Averaged 20.4 MPG or just about half the game. For the ND FF game she played 28 minutes in an OT game and she shot 8 for 12. Her lack of three point shooting was a weakness 17.6% but this idea that she was drifting around the perimeter is not accurate because she only attempted 51 Three Point FG in 37 games that just about the same career attempt average as Dolson.
Two other things that people forget and mischaracterize regarding Azura. 1) Azura and Napheesa happen to like the same spots on the offensive end of the floor. Unfortunately for Azura, Napheesa established herself as an AA utilizing that spot on the floor. Azura had no chance of displacing Napheesa.
2) Coming into the season Azura had a blazing hot 3 ball and was looking very Stewie like. There was the quote from Geno that no one in the Gym could guard Azura at USA basketball and keep in mind that A'ja Wilson was in the gyn. I believe the team played in Italy that summer , by fall Azura blazing 3 ball was gone and it never came back. With no reliable three ball and Napheesa occupying her favorite spot on the floor Geno had to adjust the offensive for Azura by limiting her to the right block and elbo (opposite Napheesa). Somehow this has been characterized as Azura being "not committed/stubborn". Let's look at the results: Azura went on to have one of the most productive season in UCONN history on a per minute basis, while Napheesa slipped significantly from her sophomore AA proficiency.

Reaction Score
Geno is recognized universally as one of the best in the sports history and the majority of Uconn fans appreciate what he has done but no one is omnipotent. Second-guessing and dissecting decisions of coaches is part of what fans do (especially passionate ones). That doesn't mean people think Geno is a terrible coach or that they can do better.

Reaction Score
While his poor use of Acura is up there, I point to the Arizona game and his failure to realize it wasn’t our defense that was costing us the game but an ineffective offense, as 22 points in the first half indicated. Yet, he kept the second best passer and next best three point shooter on the bench until it was too late. Had Anna entered the game midway through first and remained in the game, possibly sitting an ineffectual ONO, we might—repeat might—have pulled it out. When she didn’t, I knew two things: we were going to lose and Anna was going to transfer.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
While his poor use of Acura is up there, I point to the Arizona game and his failure to realize it wasn’t our defense that was costing us the game but an ineffective offense, as 22 points in the first half indicated. Yet, he kept the second best passer and next best three point shooter on the bench until it was too late. Had Anna entered the game midway through first and remained in the game, possibly sitting an ineffectual ONO, we might—repeat might—have pulled it out. When she didn’t, I knew two things: we were going to lose and Anna was going to transfer.
:eek: Since you knew UCONN was going to lose and Anna was going to transfer can you slip the winning lotto numbers for Tuesday April 13th, 2021 into my inbox. I promise you'll never hear from me again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom