Geno Strikes Gold with International Recruits | The Boneyard

Geno Strikes Gold with International Recruits

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In 1972 USA basketball lost the Olympic gold medal game to Russia, the first loss in the history of the Olympics for the USA from the time they originally fielded a team at the 1936 Olympics in Berlin. While the ending of the game was extremely controversial, it heralded the global growth of basketball to the point where it is today, the second most popular sport in the world behind futbol (soccer).

While MBB lead the way internationally, WBB inevitably followed. The 2010 Enes Kanter decision opened the international flood gates of college basketball to players that had participated with foreign professional teams so long as they had not earned a salary. WBB teams from Baylor, MS St, USF and just about every team in the Pac12 lead the way by recruiting talented international players to enhance their rosters. During this period the greatest team in the history of WBB largely eschewed international players. Yes, UConn recruited Sveta years ago, a great player from Russia, after which Geno sarcastically stated that he “would never recruit another foreign player.”

A couple years later Geno recruited a kid from Chino, CA whose parents immigrated from Argentina. The fact that her father was originally from Italy has always lead many to wonder if the GOAT would have travelled all the way across the country to play in Storrs, CT if Geno had not been able to hit it off with Mario Taurasi in his native language. A few years ago, Geno recruited a kid from up north who turned out to be a NDPOY, but it’s hard to consider Canada a foreign country when we share a 5,525 mile border and, for the most part, a common language.

The truth is that when it comes to international players Geno and UConn were late to the party. That’s been changing significantly over the past few years, not only with foreign born and raised players, but also with players who either came to the US as young children or were born here to a parent or parents who immigrated to the US.

The recent trend in foreign born or affiliated players coming to UConn started with Pheesa, whose father Gamal was born in Sierra Leone. The next year Batouly transferred in. Batouly was raised in NYC by her parents who immigrated from the West African nation of Guinea. Over the past few years, literally half the players UConn has received commitments from have some foreign affiliation. Liv’s father Sebastian played on the Kenyan national team. Ania was born and raised in Poland. Evelyn grew up in London, England. Nika hales from Croatia. Finally, Piath was born in the Sudan, and moved to the US as a young girl.

While Geno continues to recruit great players like Christyn, Paige, Aubrey, Mir and Saylor, there is no denying that WBB recruiting has gotten a whole lot more competitive in the US. One of Geno’s greatest traits is his ability to learn and adapt. While Geno slugs it out on the recruiting trail with a myriad of tough recruiters like Dawn, Tara, Jeff, MM, Kim, Kelly, Brenda, Vic, etc., internationally Geno has a real opportunity that other coaches may not possess.

Young girls growing up playing basketball in Warsaw, Zagreb, London, Khartoum and elsewhere around the world know and revere the name Geno Auriemma from his role in leading the US team to the last two Olympic gold medals as well as his reputation as the greatest WBB coach in the history of the game. In addition, who better than Geno to talk to a foreign born or first-generation American kid about the challenge and opportunity of succeeding in this country.

To understand Geno’s ability to effectively recruit internationally you need only read the remarks of pure joy and excitement from Evelyn, Ania, Nika and Piath while accepting scholarship offers to play basketball at UConn. The recruitment of foreign players in WBB is here to stay. It took UConn a little while to come around, but Geno has struck gold in pursuing top international players overseas, as well as 1st generation players here in the US. Over the next few years, I expect this international pipeline to Storrs, CT to continue to grow with UConn regularly competing for both the top foreign players as well as the top American players.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Also Jess McCormack from New Zealand, Christine Rigby from Canada, Kelly Schumacher was raised in Canada, Rahsidat Sadiq from Nigeria, Tihana Abrlic from Croatia. And of course Tina Charles was from Jamaica (umm NY :cool:)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Also Jess McCormack from New Zealand, Christine Rigby from Canada, Kelly Schumacher was raised in Canada, Rahsidat Sadiq from Nigeria, Tihana Abrlic from Croatia. And of course Tina Charles was from Jamaica (umm NY :cool:)
I knew someone would fill in the blanks... ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In 1972 USA basketball lost the Olympic gold medal game to Russia, the first loss in the history of the Olympics for the USA from the time they originally fielded a team at the 1936 Olympics in Berlin. While the ending of the game was extremely controversial, it heralded the global growth of basketball to the point where it is today, the second most popular sport in the world behind futbol (soccer).

While MBB lead the way internationally, WBB inevitably followed. The 2010 Enes Kanter decision opened the international flood gates of college basketball to players that had participated with foreign professional teams so long as they had not earned a salary. WBB teams from Baylor, MS St, USF and just about every team in the Pac12 lead the way by recruiting talented international players to enhance their rosters. During this period the greatest team in the history of WBB largely eschewed international players. Yes, UConn recruited Sveta years ago, a great player from Russia, after which Geno sarcastically stated that he “would never recruit another foreign player.”

A couple years later Geno recruited a kid from Chino, CA whose parents immigrated from Argentina. The fact that her father was originally from Italy has always lead many to wonder if the GOAT would have travelled all the way across the country to play in Storrs, CT if Geno had not been able to hit it off with Mario Taurasi in his native language. A few years ago, Geno recruited a kid from up north who turned out to be a NDPOY, but it’s hard to consider Canada a foreign country when we share a 5,525 mile border and, for the most part, a common language.

The truth is that when it comes to international players Geno and UConn were late to the party. That’s been changing significantly over the past few years, not only with foreign born and raised players, but also with players who either came to the US as young children or were born here to a parent or parents who immigrated to the US.

The recent trend in foreign born or affiliated players coming to UConn started with Pheesa, whose father Gamal was born in Sierra Leone. The next year Batouly transferred in. Batouly was raised in NYC by her parents who immigrated from the West African nation of Guinea. Over the past few years, literally half the players UConn has received commitments from have some foreign affiliation. Liv’s father Sebastian played on the Kenyan national team. Ania was born and raised in Poland. Evelyn grew up in London, England. Nika hales from Croatia. Finally, Piath was born in the Sudan, and moved to the US as a young girl.

While Geno continues to recruit great players like Christyn, Paige, Aubrey, Mir and Sailor, there is no denying that WBB recruiting has gotten a whole lot more competitive in the US. One of Geno’s greatest traits is his ability to learn and adapt. While Geno slugs it out on the recruiting trail with a myriad of tough recruiters like Dawn, Tara, Jeff, MM, Kim, Kelly, Brenda, Vic, etc., internationally Geno has a real opportunity that other coaches may not possess.

Young girls growing up playing basketball in Warsaw, Zagreb, London, Khartoum and elsewhere around the world know and revere the name Geno Auriemma from his role in leading the US team to the last two Olympic gold medals as well as his reputation as the greatest WBB coach in the history of the game. In addition, who better than Geno to talk to a foreign born or first-generation American kid about the challenge and opportunity of succeeding in this country.

To understand Geno’s ability to effectively recruit internationally you need only read the remarks of pure joy and excitement from Evelyn, Ania, Nika and Piath while accepting scholarship offers to play basketball at UConn. The recruitment of foreign players in WBB is here to stay. It took UConn a little while to come around, but Geno has struck gold in pursuing top international players overseas, as well as 1st generation players here in the US. Over the next few years, I expect this international pipeline to Storrs, CT to continue to grow with UConn regularly competing for both the top foreign players as well as the top American players.

"My mother cried. I cried, oh yeah I cried. " And Darko Muhl sat speechless for 5 minutes.

Reaction Score

She is? I thought Tina grew up in New York City?

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Has anyone posted the correct pronunciation of "Piath"?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Geno also got a commitment from Magbegor but she later decided to go pro. I believe foreign players value an offer from UConn a lot more than do domestic players. I noticed the excitement they seemed to have when receiving an offer. I hope the staff continues to recruit the better foreign players. However, DeBerry said she cried when she got a UConn offer.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Geno also got a commitment from McBegor (sp) but she later decided to go pro. I believe foreign players value an offer from UConn a lot more than do domestic players. I noticed the excitement they seemed to have when receiving an offer. I hope the staff continues to recruit the better foreign players. However, DeBerry said she cried when she got a UConn offer.

This is the first I'm hearing about Eziyoda Magbegor committing to UConn. Too bad she didn't follow through on that commitment. She would have been a great addition to the program. Some of us will "cry" (tears of joy) when Amari DeBerry (2021) reciprocates and gives UConn a verbal. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Although I value foreign players I would like to see most roster spots go to Americans who will stay in the U.S. afterwards and contribute to society here. Don't overseas teams limit the number of foreign born players on their teams? There must be a reason they do that. I am not trying to stir anything up but I do root for the USA in all things...

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Too bad Eziyoda Magbegor didn't follow through on that commitment. She would have been a great addition to the team. Some of us will "cry" (tears of joy) when DeBerry reciprocates and gives UConn a verbal. :cool:
Thanks for the correct spelling of Magbegor.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Although I value foreign players I would like to see most roster spots go to Americans who will stay in the U.S. afterwards and contribute to society here. Don't overseas teams limit the number of foreign born players on their teams? There must be a reason they do that. I am not trying to stir anything up but I do root for the USA in all things...
Most roster spots do go to Americans. There is no way to tell if they will stay in the USA though.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno also got a commitment from McBegor (sp) but she later decided to go pro. I believe foreign players value an offer from UConn a lot more than do domestic players. I noticed the excitement they seemed to have when receiving an offer. I hope the staff continues to recruit the better foreign players. However, DeBerry said she cried when she got a UConn offer.
Too bad Eziyoda Magbegor didn't follow through on that commitment. She would have been a great addition to the team. Some of us will "cry" (tears of joy) when DeBerry reciprocates and gives UConn a verbal. :cool:
Don't think this ( Geno got a commitment from Ezi) is accurate. Ezi visited UCONN with her parents, as I recall there were some other US colleges in the mix. It was Lauren Jackson that ultimately made Ezi a better offer.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Don't think this ( Geno got a commitment for Ezi) is accurate. Ezi visited UCONN with her parents, as I recall there were some other US colleges in the mix. It was Lauren Jackson that ultimately made Ezi a better offer.
I read where she had accepted the offer but Jackson talked her into staying home and she would work with her. It was reported on the BY so it had to be correct.:)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
:eek: Uhm, the vast major of good college players ( both mem and women) end up playing overseas-so much for that contribution to US society. The reason most overseas teams limit the number of foreign players is so that local fans will actually come out and see the local players. It's not like Americans are going to go overseas to attend games in meaningful numbers.

Reaction Score

Don't foreign players stay in the US and play for the WNBA? See Kia Nurse as a recent example.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There are also US players who play and have established lives overseas. Kiah Stokes is now a Turkish citizen and Natalie Butler both plays basketball and follows her career path in international relations in Belgium.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I read where she had accepted the offer but Jackson talked her into staying home and she would work with her. It was reported on the BY so it had to be correct.:)
Must be. :)
My long term memory is not what it used to be. As I recall there were many of us hoping that was the case and far more that thought Cal? ( the other school) was out of the picture so it would come down to UCONN or Ezi staying home. As it turn out the biggest factor might not have been Lauren, it might have been the shortest time to WNBA. Meaning that had Ezi enrolled at UCONN for even 1 season she would not have been WNBA eligible until April 2020. Instead, Ezi joined the WNBA in April of 2019.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I checked a moment ago, I cant find any evidence of Megbagor ever being in the WNBA or making a roster.
Her name does not appear on the list of ALL TIME players in the W.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I checked a moment ago, I cant find any evidence of Megbagor ever being in the WNBA or making a roster.
Her name does not appear on the list of ALL TIME players in the W.
Ezi was drafted by Seattle in the 1st round last season and will be eligible to play for the Storm this season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom