Geno reverses course with offseason approach | The Boneyard

Geno reverses course with offseason approach

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Did this get posted already? If so, mods please delete.

https://www.ctinsider.com/uconn/nhr...iginal url&utm_medium=referral#photo-17745104

WEST HARTFORD — Last summer, Geno Auriemma deviated from his routine by asking his seniors to lead team workouts. Napheesa Collier and Katie Lou Samuelson were responsible for deciding when and where to practice, and to what extent.

It was a sort of hands-off approach that, by most accounts, went well.

And yet, as he carved out his plan for this offseason, the UConn women’s basketball coach decided he needed to make a change. Again.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I thought this quote was interesting:

We knew this time was coming,” added Megan Walker. “Phee and Lou couldn’t stay forever, even though we wanted them to. They couldn’t stay forever, but I feel like me, Crystal, Christyn (Williams) and (Olivia Nelson-Ododa) are ready for this opportunity.”

First off, I think Meg is very well spoken and has really grown into her role as a leader of the team. But conspicuously absent from her list of who could lead the newbies was Irwin and Bent - seniors along with Dangerfield.

I try not to read too much into it, but it's impossible not to notice and speculate why the other 2 seniors were omitted. Maybe an honest oversight? Maybe she understands that Bent and Irwin, on a deeper team, are mostly going to get garbage minutes the last 3-4 minutes in games? Maybe something else?

I know in huddles last year, or on the floor at times, we'd see Kyla take on a leadership role - she'd speak sometimes and was not afraid to let her voice be heard. Some on the BY speculated that coaching was in her future.

Anyway, file Meg's comments under "things that make you go 'hmm'" because I don't know what to make of them.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

We knew this time was coming,” added Megan Walker. “Phee and Lou couldn’t stay forever, even though we wanted them to. They couldn’t stay forever, but I feel like me, Crystal, Christyn (Williams) and (Olivia Nelson-Ododa) are ready for this opportunity.”

First off, I think Meg is very well spoken and has really grown into her role as a leader of the team. But conspicuously absent from her list of who could lead the newbies was Irwin and Bent - seniors along with Dangerfield.

I try not to read too much into it, but it's impossible not to notice and speculate why the other 2 seniors were omitted. Maybe an honest oversight? Maybe she understands that Bent and Irwin, on a deeper team, are mostly going to get garbage minutes the last 3-4 minutes in games? Maybe something else?

I know in huddles last year, or on the floor at times, we'd see Kyla take on a leadership role - she'd speak sometimes and was not afraid to let her voice be heard. Some on the BY speculated that coaching was in her future.

Anyway, file Meg's comments under "things that make you go 'hmm'" because I don't know what to make of them.
I think she knows that their court skills are limited. She is probably thinking of on court leadership, maybe an unintentional slight. Paige Sauer and Stacy Hansmeyer had much reduced playing roles as seniors despite being much bigger contributors before that compared to Irwin and Bent. But I think they were viewed as leaders anyway.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Leaders have to be on the floor. I know Irwin is one of the leaders, but it is a fun style where she makes up spontaneous rap, etc. But I haven't seen anyone but Crystal Dangerfield issue commands.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Last year, we had 2 seniors to lead, though Lou was coming off surgery. This year, we have only Crystal (of major contributors), and she is also coming off surgery.

Last year, we had Christyn and Liv as rookies. This year, we have at least Aubrey, Ania, Evelyn, and Evina as newbies.

Reaction Score

Summer leaders become Season, Game Leaders. I would bet that Bent and Irwin will take over some leadership roles by leading the efforts in practices. They are after all--SENIOR and with Geno Seniors lead if only with effort projected for the new guys to see. @EricLA again you are correct. Irwin and Bent know the Geno system where when how players should be in a position or mode. That is not something to be wasted--Geno is by all reports compassionate on those that spent 4 years with him they earned something.
Danger, CW, Megan, and a bit of ONO are returning warriors the tip of the Uconn spear, experienced in battle have been to the FF. Only 35 kids in the USA can say that this year. They are unique. That level of play and intensity must be transmitted to the new guys, they shall.

Reaction Score
Leaders have to be on the floor. I know Irwin is one of the leaders, but it is a fun style where she makes up spontaneous rap, etc. But I haven't seen anyone but Crystal Dangerfield issue commands.
This year CW, Megan and even ONO (when necessary) will issue orders. Make no mistake when Danger is in the game it is her's to command. There is a lot of learning needed by November/December --it may not "take a village" it will take those with experience in the "Geno Way".

Reaction Score
Did this get posted already? If so, mods please delete.

WEST HARTFORD — Last summer, Geno Auriemma deviated from his routine by asking his seniors to lead team workouts. Napheesa Collier and Katie Lou Samuelson were responsible for deciding when and where to practice, and to what extent.

It was a sort of hands-off approach that, by most accounts, went well.

And yet, as he carved out his plan for this offseason, the UConn women’s basketball coach decided he needed to make a change. Again.
You proved once again that the 'Rigid" Geno is only in the minds of some fans. Geno, adjusts, changes, modifys why? Because a human that does not do that STAGNATES. Geno, as most of us do, changes as he sees the positive effects of that change. That's why I'm a bit miffed at those that complain when a person, any person, changes his views beliefs from 20,30,40 years ago. Intelligent people are always changing--GENO is INTELLIGNT his views of 2000 are most likely history except for some methods he developed then, but be sure he has modified them.---the often spoke--Geno will NEVER --is far from the facts seen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom