Geno passes the torch from Napheesa to Megan | The Boneyard

Geno passes the torch from Napheesa to Megan

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
So, all it seems Walker has to do this season is average 21 points, 11 rebounds, become a first team All-American, win league player of the year, and lead the Huskies to the Final Four.
Actually, that sounds fine with Walker. She’s not worried about such expectations adding pressure.
“That’s great. That means he believes in me. And I believe in myself,” Walker said. “I’m looking forward to it. I’ve been waiting on this time.”

Reaction Score
Auriemma said Evina Westbrook’s knee is better but the junior transfer from Tennessee will be battling the nagging injury for some time. “There’s going to be some pain in her knee all year. That’s just something she’s going to have to deal with,” Auriemma said.

I thought the surgery was supposed to fix Evina's nagging knee injury?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The last Husky to average 20 and 10 in the same season before Phee was ... no one, I think. If Megan has a season like Phee''s junior season, that will be an improvement. If she has a season like Phee's sophomore season, I like our chances. If Meg, gets to 20 and 10, I'll be pleasantly surprised but ecstatic. I don't want to put a ceiling on her, but 17 and 8 would be very solid!!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Auriemma said Evina Westbrook’s knee is better but the junior transfer from Tennessee will be battling the nagging injury for some time. “There’s going to be some pain in her knee all year. That’s just something she’s going to have to deal with,” Auriemma said.

Not good.

Reaction Score

If I remember correctly, the type of surgery she got (microfracture) can take a lot longer to heal completely as the “superclot” forms the new cartilage. It can also cause pain because it’s essentially drilling small holes in the bone around the cartilage and the cartilage doesn’t always form perfectly, which can lead to pain and the need for another surgery down the line to clean things up. In any case, most surgeries require up to a year (or longer for major injuries like ACL tears) to fully heal even if they say normal recovery time is say 4-6 months or something. I’m no medical expert, but from some basic research this is the info I came up with.

Reaction Score
“Having those great players like Phee, Lou, Gabby, Kiah (Stokes) come before were basically grooming me for this moment, this time,” Walker said. “I’m more excited than anything.”

Kiah wasn’t there when Walker arrived, but maybe Walker meant Kia nurse who was a senior during Walker’s freshman year? Either Kia(h) is a good template for defense, though.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
“Having those great players like Phee, Lou, Gabby, Kiah (Stokes) come before were basically grooming me for this moment, this time,” Walker said. “I’m more excited than anything.”

Kiah wasn’t there when Walker arrived, but maybe Walker meant Kia nurse who was a senior during Walker’s freshman year? Either Kia(h) is a good template for defense, though.
Megan meant Kia. The writer apparently forgot about her and thought of Kiah Stokes.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I hope Evina is cleared to play this season for multiple reasons. But if she has to sit, maybe she can more fully rehab the knee.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Not good.

Yeah, that’s not what I want to hear. A nagging injury that’s going to last all season. A season that hasn’t started yet. :(

Reaction Score
As an upperclassman, Naphesa Collier had only three games that I can think of off the top of my head where she didn't play great. Unfortunately, two of them were national semi-finals. (The third was against Baylor last season.)

Megan played great in Tampa Bay, and I'm very optimistic. A key quote of Geno from the article is this: "She's moving a lot quicker".

To me, the interesting opportunity for Megan is not so much what she does to get her team to the Final Four, but rather what she might do for the team at the Final Four, should we be fortunate enough to make it. Queen Phee stuffed the stats sheets by accomplishing so much on a day in and day out basis. But I think what we need from Megan is more to excel in the biggest of moments, against higher levels of defense than what the team will normally face.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Some knee issue just aren't fully fixed with surgery. Knee pain is something I have accepted from age 6. It is what it is.
She'll learn to accept it--what else can she do??

Reaction Score
Not good.
While it isn't great fun to heat and cool your knees after play it isn't all that bad. Thankfully, the pain isn't on your brain while you are playing (normally) it's only a factor once you are no longer occupied. She can either play with the pain or sit with the pain, it's up to her. Not fun in either case.

Reaction Score
As an upperclassman, Naphesa Collier had only three games that I can think of off the top of my head where she didn't play great. Unfortunately, two of them were national semi-finals. (The third was against Baylor last season.)

Megan played great in Tampa Bay, and I'm very optimistic. A key quote of Geno from the article is this: "She's moving a lot quicker".

To me, the interesting opportunity for Megan is not so much what she does to get her team to the Final Four, but rather what she might do for the team at the Final Four, should we be fortunate enough to make it. Queen Phee stuffed the stats sheets by accomplishing so much on a day in and day out basis. But I think what we need from Megan is more to excel in the biggest of moments, against higher levels of defense than what the team will normally face.
I have great expectations of Megan, Cw, ONO, those 3 have the ability (each) to take over a game against top talent--CW had 2 great games against ND, ONO was great in the FF, Megan dropped in 5 straight 3's against Louis ville in the Elite 8. If Ania, Griffin, Evelyn, Touly step up as the can it could be a very good year---you are right in that the not top 10 team Uconn plays are warm ups and not indicative of top talent games.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The last Husky to average 20 and 10 in the same season before Phee was ... no one, I think. If Megan has a season like Phee''s junior season, that will be an improvement. If she has a season like Phee's sophomore season, I like our chances. If Meg, gets to 20 and 10, I'll be pleasantly surprised but ecstatic. I don't want to put a ceiling on her, but 17 and 8 would be very solid!!
I like UConn's chances with those results as well. But only if Adebayo can cover the other teams 2nd big and can cover the post if and when Liv sits. Then Oregon it's on.

Reaction Score
Rebecca Lobo averaged a double double her sophomore and junior seasons and came close to 20-10 averaged 19.2 and 11.2 during the 93-94 season, but nobody other than Collier has been able to reach the 20-10 mark. Incredible given all the players that have gone through UConn.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Rebecca Lobo averaged a double double her sophomore and junior seasons and came close to 20-10 averaged 19.2 and 11.2 during the 93-94 season, but nobody other than Collier has been able to reach the 20-10 mark. Incredible given all the players that have gone through UConn.
Just going from memory, those who averaged 20 points per game for a season include Phee (TWICE), Lou, Maya, Nykesha, and Kerry Bascomb (THREE times).

Those who averaged 10 rebounds per game for a season include Phee, Rebecca, and a few early players.

The only overlap between the 2 groups is Phee. She is without parallel.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Just going from memory, those who averaged 20 points per game for a season include Phee (TWICE), Lou, Maya, Nykesha, and Kerry Bascomb (THREE times).

Those who averaged 10 rebounds per game for a season include Phee, Rebecca, and a few early players.

The only overlap between the 2 groups is Phee. She is without parallel.

Collier was a prolific rebounder before she got to UConn. She has a natural nose for the ball. Her teammates once commented that she was a ball magnet. I remember being impressed with Collier’s willingness to go to the boards and fight for rebounds against 2-3 opposing players as a freshman.

Geno never had to twist her arm, or remind her to rebound. Rebounding is in her DNA. From the comments I’ve read here in the yard, Mir McLean (2020) appears to have those same qualities.

Hoopgirlz evaluation of McLean - Boo Williams Invitational-April 2019: Ultra-athletic prospect that cleans the glass, jumps over defenders and finishes plays with acrobatic flair in the paint; superb in the key, goes to work off missed shots and yields results; perhaps the most athletic prospect in the class of 2020.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom