Geno on player status update | The Boneyard

Geno on player status update

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In his press briefing today Geno provided the following updates on the status of Paige, Anna & Saylor:
  • Paige did some light shooting yesterday but nothing much today.
  • Anna continues to be out indefinitely.
  • Saylor practiced with the team for the first time today. She had done some individual work on her own before today. Geno said she picks things up fast but he doesn’t think she’ll be ready to play in a few days.

Reaction Score
I’m surprised that playing Saylor Thursday isn’t totally out of the question, based on Geno’s comment.

Reaction Score
I think the expectation continues to be that Paige will be ready to go vs Arkansas, unless she has a setback in her rehab.
She may play, but if she was unable "to do much in practice" less than 48 hours before game time it doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence.

Reaction Score
If Saylor gets in vs Arkansas that would likely mean that UConn is comfortably ahead and has emptied the bench. So I would love to see Saylor on the court in Fayetteville.
Evina or Williams can run offense, but if needed, would you rather Autumn or Saylor? Your scenario is more likely but I remember several games a few years ago when only 7 suited up. 1-2 foul issues or injuries to existing guards and we could be in this scenario.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Evina or Williams can run offense, but if needed, would you rather Autumn or Saylor? Your scenario is more likely but I remember several games a few years ago when only 7 suited up. 1-2 foul issues or injuries to existing guards and we could be in this scenario.
Assuming no Paige, next up after Evina is Nika. Beyond that, I don’t really want to contemplate who runs the offense.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Assuming no Paige, next up after Evina is Nika. Beyond that, I don’t really want to contemplate who runs the offense.

When pressed at the 40' mark if Paige is more or less likely to play, he said more likely but if you ask me how well. I don't know.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno's state of mind is pretty disturbing in this one. He admits to being melancholy. Somewhat worrisome.

For alot of the presser, I agree he was very somber. Of course, when the talk started to turn to no wbb issues, he brightened up.

Reaction Score
Geno said there was a better chance Paige plays than not playing. He did question whether she would play better .

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm concerned with Geno's demeanor.
perhaps its the canned aspect...
More likely something private we don't know about and never will.
But its worrisome...hard to remember him like this
win or lose.

Reaction Score
Couple thoughts:
a. Paige has NOT practiced, with exception of some light shooting on Monday, since the game at TN ended. Geno specifically said she did not practice today (Tuesday). The Team did not practice on Sunday. SO, she is not being pushed...and I am certain she is getting plenty of treatment from the Trainers every day.
When pressed, Geno said it was more likely Paige plays on Thursday than not. BUT, I think we can all be confident that if there is any indication that she will make the injury worse, that she will be pulled out. This is a non-conference game... and with the crush of Conference games coming up in the next several weeks, Geno won't risk further injury that could put the Conference Championship at risk.
b. Geno used the word "melancholy" when asked about his feelings about the 1 year anniversary of Kobe's death. Geno had a strong relationship with Kobe...so that was a tough question for him. He also reflected on all that has happened in the last year...including deaths of Hall of Famers and of course the impact of COVID. So, he was "down" during the response to this question as we could reasonably expect.
c. I don't think Geno likes doing virtual pressers... he likes to interact direct with the reporters, to get some jokes in on them and so on. And, lets face it, a lot of the questions he gets during these pre game pressers are rather odd.
d. With all the uncertainty, pauses, delays, cancellations and so on this year, the season has been tough on the Team and on Geno. He likes things to follow a predictable flow, but this year everything is in doubt, every game is uncertain until the ball gets tossed up for the opening tip. And the disruptions make it hard for Geno to properly evaluate his team versus the rest of NCAA WBB because of the time between games, etc.

Let's send Geno, the Coaches and the Team GOOD VIBES for their game at Arkansas and the season going forward!!!

Go Huskies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm concerned with Geno's demeanor.
perhaps its the canned aspect...
More likely something private we don't know about and never will.
But its worrisome...hard to remember him like this
win or lose.
It's been a long season already. He is coaching harder than ever because he has 6 freshmen that is usually at least 2 classes at UCONN. There is this COVID thing. Lastly today is the anniversary of the death of Kobe and he was asked to reflect on that during the middle of the presser. The good news in all that is that he has no seniors graduating this year because he feels strongly about sending his seniors out correctly-with a championship. There is this great quality about Geno his mood is always significantly improved by his next good bottle of wine. No worries there the cellar is well stocked.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom