Geno on Anna's prospects for return to play

Status
Not open for further replies.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
What the heck is a paczki?

Reaction Score
Read up on the HIPAA laws, and she IS NOT a public figure, she is a college student that happens to play basketball. If you think that the University can release that info WITHOUT her permission then you are wrong. The NCAA also has rules when it comes to injured student-athletes that the University MUST follow. It doesn't matter what Merriam-Webster definition of a public figure when it comes to the law.
The very fact that Ania plays basketball on TV, does interviews, and is written about in the newspapers, makes her a public figure. No question about that.
I m not advocating that she divulge any private information.
But whether she will play, and the status of her health, are legitimate interests and curiosities of her fans, eh?

Reaction Score
This is an interesting issue. Personally I would not. However, my high school (11th and 12th grade) students have a different take. They don't understand why the school doesn't release which students are infected with cover. They see no shame in it. I said "Well, that's kind of like outing someone during the HIV/ AIDS high points.... that wouldn't be cool. Or like having an STD and having it broadcast, you wouldn't like that" and they were like "well having HIV shouldn't be a stigma. Yeah, an STD would be bad to broadcast, but just existing and breathing in school wouldn't transmit that. It wouldn't transmit HIV either, but Covid isn't something to be ashamed of, nor is an injury. If anything, I'd send support and flowers, and maybe some really good soup if we made any that week in the culinary program." (tech school voices in HS.....). They seem to have a way different mindset regarding health stigmas and privacy than even my generation.... and I'm not that old (or at least I tell myself I'm not..... )
Being infected with COVID is hardly the same thing as having an athletic injury. In any case, the province lies with the patient on what should be publicly revealed. It’s the law.
Merriam-Webster:
Definition of public figure
: a well-known person
Thus, I think Ania qualifies as a public figure, eh?
You need to give up this testosterone battle. It’s the law; plain and simple.

Reaction Score
Merriam-Webster:
Definition of public figure
: a well-known person
Thus, I think Ania qualifies as a public figure, eh?
1. There is no public figure exception to HIPAA. 2. In statutes or doctrines that do recognize a public figure exception, "public figure" is a "term of art" that is defined in the statute and by case law, not by Webster's dictionary.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
A sincere question for anyone who demands to know a student's medical history: If you are a fan, how will you knowing these medical details help the team perform better?

Oh! So your presumed right to know not only lacks a basis in law, it has nothing, niente, nada, coisa nenhum, zilch to do with the team's success. It's just self-righteous curiosity.

As a fan, I wish Amna full recovery and future success from whatever may ail her.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
A sincere question for anyone who demands to know a student's medical history: If you are a fan, how will you knowing these medical details help the team perform better?

Oh! So your presumed right to know not only lacks a basis in law, it has nothing, niente, nada, coisa nenhum, zilch to do with the team's success. It's just self-righteous curiosity.

As a fan, I wish Amna full recovery and future success from whatever may ail her.
I hesitate to intrude on your turf here, but you seem to have omitted "bupkis". I have a long standing affinity for bupkis, having accomplished it quite often.

Reaction Score
Could very well explain her drop-off in conditioning & performance - she was noticeably slower this year on the court. I'd sit her until the last minute - end of season to ramp up for the tourney.
Nailed it! I noticed the same thing. Conditioning is so overlooked by most people.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Nailed it! I noticed the same thing. Conditioning is so overlooked by most people.
When Anna arrived at UConn this season she was in very good shape. The delay in practice and the inactivity caused her to lose some of the conditioning she had gained.

Reaction Score
Would you want your private medical info released to the public?
This is different. All the time in the NFL, for example, they will say if a player has a hamstring pull or the like. In any case, it is not worth arguing about.

Reaction Score
When Anna arrived at UConn this season she was in very good shape. The delay in practice and the inactivity caused her to lose some of the conditioning she had gained.
When was there a delay in practice? Makurat arrived at UConn on 7/30 and they immediately started their summer practice schedule in pods, she also had 24hr access to the Werth Center gym/weight room/training room.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
This is different. All the time in the NFL, for example, they will say if a player has a hamstring pull or the like. In any case, it is not worth arguing about.
The NFL has rules that state the team has to give an injury update two days prior to the game. The NCAA states that any medical information on students must meet Federal guidelines, HIPPA and others, plus NCAA guidelines. Then once those guideline are met the must be approved by the medical personnel, University, and the student. The NFL can't be sued for the release of the info because it's in their rules and approved by the NFLPA, while the University can be sued because of the Federal Government and NCAA guidlines.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
When was there a delay in practice? Makurat arrived at UConn on 7/30 and they immediately started their summer practice schedule in pods, she also had 24hr access to the Werth Center gym/weight room/training room.
Geno has stated that Anna came back in the best shape she's ever been at UConn. He has also stated due to the leg injury, isolation, and Covid, she hasn't been able to keep up the routine that she had been doing.

Reaction Score
This is a good point, we were all looking forward to a slimmer quicker Anna and some early pictures supported that she had lost significant weight. I don't know why she put it back on so quickly, but clearly she did, and that is a concern beyond whatever is ailing her now. Anna being available for the rest of the season is starting to come into question.

Even once she chooses, or is cleared to play, she will need to get back into game shape and establish a role again. She can't assume that means starting again, she has been out a while, the starting unit went thru changes during her absence, and she has to earn her way back into the rotation or be roughly where Mir is now.

There is still time to get ready for the big games in the tournament, but it is starting to run out. Hope it happens soon.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
The NFL has rules that state the team has to give an injury update two days prior to the game. The NCAA states that any medical information on students must meet Federal guidelines, HIPPA and others, plus NCAA guidelines. Then once those guideline are met the must be approved by the medical personnel, University, and the student. The NFL can't be sued for the release of the info because it's in their rules and approved by the NFLPA, while the University can be sued because of the Federal Government and NCAA guidlines.
Those provisions exist in the NFL rules because they have every expectation that there will be wagers placed on the games. To protect the gamblers and the house knowing of any injury allows adjustments in the odds. This is not always the case in NCAA sports. As a young man I took bets for a local bookie. It would amaze most people to know who is betting on a regular basis in their neighborhoods.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Those provisions exist in the NFL rules because they have every expectation that there will be wagers placed on the games. To protect the gamblers and the house knowing of any injury allows adjustments in the odds. This is not always the case in NCAA sports. As a young man I took bets for a local bookie. It would amaze most people to know who is betting on a regular basis in their neighborhoods.
Here in Vegas you can bet on almost any major college game, to include women's basketball. If I remember correctly SC was a 4 point favorite at my sports book when they played UConn.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Here in Vegas you can bet on almost any major college game, to include women's basketball. If I remember correctly SC was a 4 point favorite at my sports book when they played UConn.
Oh I agree that one can bet, but I believe there is more bet on football than on NCAA women's basketball. But you can bet on almost anything. When I was a kid steelworkers and housewives would place money on a combination of a three digit number that was based on the daily stock market indices. They called it the "old stock" number. I think that died out when the state run lotteries became popular. My Dad played $5 on 317, his birth month and year, every single weekday of his life for fifty years or so.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The reference is to the COVID Pause just prior to the beginning of the season. Even individual workouts had restrictions during that 10-day period.

Reaction Score
It is up to the player to stay in shape. Many of us understand the battle. But you can't play at a high level without exceptional conditioning. It is a battle and a choice to fight that battle. She is not alone in this fight. Not even on her team. Christyn is also fighting that fight. Her struggles last year were partly mental but also partly physical. This year it is just mental. That is why, overall, she has been able to play at a high level when she is locked in mentally.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
This is a good point, we were all looking forward to a slimmer quicker Anna and some early pictures supported that she had lost significant weight. I don't know why she put it back on so quickly, but clearly she did, and that is a concern beyond whatever is ailing her now. Anna being available for the rest of the season is starting to come into question.

Even once she chooses, or is cleared to play, she will need to get back into game shape and establish a role again. She can't assume that means starting again, she has been out a while, the starting unit went thru changes during her absence, and she has to earn her way back into the rotation or be roughly where Mir is now.
Maybe I have missed something, but it took quite a while for her lower-leg injury to become widely known and acknowledged as at least one reason for her reduced on-court speed and activity. For a time, some Boneyard commentors diagnosed the issue as a lack of confidence. Geno's most recent acknowledgment of her injury included observations that Anna had been working with doctors and trainers to recover. Where did the evidence of weight gain appear?

I am hoping that she will be game ready by tournament time; at her best, she can make a real difference.

Reaction Score
Maybe I have missed something, but it took quite a while for her lower-leg injury to become widely known and acknowledged as at least one reason for her reduced on-court speed and activity. For a time, some Boneyard commentors diagnosed the issue as a lack of confidence. Geno's most recent acknowledgment of her injury included observations that Anna had been working with doctors and trainers to recover. Where did the evidence of weight gain appear?

I am hoping that she will be game ready by tournament time; at her best, she can ms ake a real difference.
There was a picture taken on the court with social distancing of the players early in camp when all had arrived, where Anna looked significantly thinner. Now she looks as big or bigger than last year. There were also some comments on her improved conditioning, so I think she made a significant change, but in the college environment for whatever reason it came back. Hopefully going back in the other direction now.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
" When are you coming' back? I can't hold out very much longer."
You’re going all the way back to the 60’s. I’m old, but not senile yet. I recognize those words (lyrics). :) Martha & the Vandellas.

Reaction Score
She is the 3 point dagger that this team could use to take pressure off Paige.
Yes, but that "dagger" was like a loaded semi heading up a mountain. It took a number of games for it to reach the rpms needed. She is not Lou and she is not MKL. If she returns for minutes in the Big East tourney, maybe she'll be in shooting shape by the Big Dance. If not, not.

Reaction Score
You’re going all the way back to the 60’s. I’m old, but not senile yet. I recognize those words (lyrics). :) Martha & the Vandellas.
You nailed it. This a a newer version entitled "Anna Mak" by Geno & the Auriemmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom