Geno on Anna's prospects for return to play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
from the Courant:

"
Auriemma said Monday that Anna Makurat, who has been out since the Georgetown game with a lower leg issue, is getting closer to returning.
“She’s trying to get her rehab done every day. She’s spending some time getting some shots up when she can. She’s been keeping her conditioning up and getting in a weight room a lot,” Auriemma said. “And just waiting on time. Hopefully, we’ll find out this week at some point how close we are [to getting her back].”

Reaction Score
And since they don't rightly so release a lot of medical info, we don't really know for how long that leg was impacting her performance before they shut her down and put her in the boot.

For all we know, she could have had trouble putting weight, getting planted, to get lift for her jump shots for awhile during time folks on this site were commenting how poor her performance was. There was probably a medical reason all along. Stress fractures don't happen overnight but are a gradual condition....

Reaction Score
I’m pessimistic . His comments weren’t “she’s close to getting cleared”. It was more “we might get a timeline.” To me , that means at best, she might be cleared to start practice sometime next week. Then figure a week at minimum to get back in the flow, and you’re talking early March. And that’s the best case I think . :(

Reaction Score
from the Courant:

"
Auriemma said Monday that Anna Makurat, who has been out since the Georgetown game with a lower leg issue, is getting closer to returning.
“She’s trying to get her rehab done every day. She’s spending some time getting some shots up when she can. She’s been keeping her conditioning up and getting in a weight room a lot,” Auriemma said. “And just waiting on time. Hopefully, we’ll find out this week at some point how close we are [to getting her back].”
Fingers crossed but don’t rush at expense of reinjuring.
She is the 3 point dagger that this team could use to take pressure off Paige.
I’m pessimistic . His comments weren’t “she’s close to getting cleared”. It was more “we might get a timeline.” To me , that means at best, she might be cleared to start practice sometime next week. Then figure a week at minimum to get back in the flow, and you’re talking early March. And that’s the best case I think . :(
I fear you’re right. But we probably don’t need her until March given competition. It is more a question of how easy it will be to get her back into the flow. I wonder when or if we will ever know the history of the injury.

Reaction Score
from the Courant:

"
It would help to know what the injury diagnosis is. There is no reason for that to be a " state secret" is there?

Reaction Score
And since they don't rightly so release a lot of medical info, we don't really know for how long that leg was impacting her performance before they shut her down and put her in the boot.

For all we know, she could have had trouble putting weight, getting planted, to get lift for her jump shots for awhile during time folks on this site were commenting how poor her performance was. There was probably a medical reason all along. Stress fractures don't happen overnight but are a gradual condition....
A stress fracture would be good news. I fear an Achilles' injury. That would be worse than knee ligaments. A muscular injury (e.g., calf strain/tear) would also not be good. I think Geno said that this has impacted her for a while (in the summer). Could very well explain her drop-off in conditioning & performance - she was noticeably slower this year on the court. I'd sit her until the last minute - end of season to ramp up for the tourney.

Reaction Score
If it dates to summer, as someone suggested, it might have happened when she was practicing with Polish national team. In any event, hopefully she won’t be rushed back too soon.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I was at Roly Poly Bakery and Grocery store in New Britain today thinking of Anna! Picked up a few Boston Creme paczki for game snacks tonight!
What the heck is a paczki?

Reaction Score
Would you want your private medical info released to the public?
This is an interesting issue. Personally I would not. However, my high school (11th and 12th grade) students have a different take. They don't understand why the school doesn't release which students are infected with cover. They see no shame in it. I said "Well, that's kind of like outing someone during the HIV/ AIDS high points.... that wouldn't be cool. Or like having an STD and having it broadcast, you wouldn't like that" and they were like "well having HIV shouldn't be a stigma. Yeah, an STD would be bad to broadcast, but just existing and breathing in school wouldn't transmit that. It wouldn't transmit HIV either, but Covid isn't something to be ashamed of, nor is an injury. If anything, I'd send support and flowers, and maybe some really good soup if we made any that week in the culinary program." (tech school voices in HS.....). They seem to have a way different mindset regarding health stigmas and privacy than even my generation.... and I'm not that old (or at least I tell myself I'm not..... )

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This is an interesting issue. Personally I would not. However, my high school (11th and 12th grade) students have a different take. They don't understand why the school doesn't release which students are infected with cover. They see no shame in it. I said "Well, that's kind of like outing someone during the HIV/ AIDS high points.... that wouldn't be cool. Or like having an STD and having it broadcast, you wouldn't like that" and they were like "well having HIV shouldn't be a stigma. Yeah, an STD would be bad to broadcast, but just existing and breathing in school wouldn't transmit that. It wouldn't transmit HIV either, but Covid isn't something to be ashamed of, nor is an injury. If anything, I'd send support and flowers, and maybe some really good soup if we made any that week in the culinary program." (tech school voices in HS.....). They seem to have a way different mindset regarding health stigmas and privacy than even my generation.... and I'm not that old (or at least I tell myself I'm not..... )
Just a small difference - an airborne pathogen is a very different beast to other medical issues and creates a community issue unlike HIV/AIDS or STDs. People with mono or other highly infectious diseases have always been isolated from the community at large. A Covid infection is a similar issue and personal privacy takes a back seat to community protection.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Ania is a public figure .. it goes with the territory, eh?
First of all it's Anna and second of all SHE IS NOT a public figure, she is a college student. Public figures are also NOT required to give out any personal medical information, it's up to their discretion.

Reaction Score
First of all it's Anna and second of all SHE IS NOT a public figure, she is a college student. Public figures are also NOT required to give out any personal medical information, it's up to their discretion.
Merriam-Webster:
Definition of public figure
: a well-known person
Thus, I think Ania qualifies as a public figure, eh?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Merriam-Webster:
Definition of public figure
: a well-known person
Thus, I think Ania qualifies as a public figure, eh?
Read up on the HIPAA laws, and she IS NOT a public figure, she is a college student that happens to play basketball. If you think that the University can release that info WITHOUT her permission then you are wrong. The NCAA also has rules when it comes to injured student-athletes that the University MUST follow. It doesn't matter what Merriam-Webster definition of a public figure when it comes to the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom