Geno hints at more roster additions | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Geno hints at more roster additions

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You body them up and push them away from the basket. Megan is very good at this; Asjha Jones was fantastic
Asjha Jones did a great job on Liz Cambage in the 2012 London Olympics. Otherwise, we may have been Bronze Medalists.

Morgan Tuck neutralized Alaina Coates and others. When she came to UConn, Morgan was reportedly the only player in her class who could effectively guard Stewie. Tuck combines strength, footwork, intelligence, and technique.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One additional point on forwards like Tuck & Megan vs bigger “traditional” posts. The ability of Tuck & Megan to shoot the ball from the arc forces traditional Bigs to come out and guard them, where they are like fish out of water, or more accurately, like posts out of the paint.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
That works if the 6'7"-6'9" player is lanky. Have you seen some of the girls vic and others have landed?
Little guys can effectively box out a big by "sitting on their thigh."

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Part of the technique is to get low enough to push back on the thighs. This locks the taller player into a straight leg and they cannot jump and therefore are limited to reaching for a ball. The small player in a crouch is able to elevate and intercept the ball. I played at 6'4" and 185 pounds and it continually worked for me against guys 4-8 inches taller.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Part of the technique is to get low enough to push back on the thighs. This locks the taller player into a straight leg and they cannot jump and therefore are limited to reaching for a ball. The small player in a crouch is able to elevate and intercept the ball. I played at 6'4" and 185 pounds and it continually worked for me against guys 4-8 inches taller.

This!!! Height is important but defensive and rebounding technique is the great equalizer.

Reaction Score
This!!! Height is important but defensive and rebounding technique is the great equalizer.
Until the past few years, UConn had both. Looking at Geno's recruit list, suspect he is not looking to compromise in future and wants both.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Until the past few years, UConn had both. Looking at Geno's recruit list, suspect he is not looking to compromise in future and wants both.

I'm sure Geno wants both and he will probably get both. At least we have Olivia. My statement still stands and who is a better post coach than CD. Evelyn could be one of those 6' 2" players who can defended a taller player. Heck, Jamelle Elliot at 5' 11" could out rebound almost anybody. Rebounding is also about desire to grab every one that comes off the glass or rim.

Too many coaches see big girls in terms of easy buckets in the paint and then "fly swatters" on defense. There is not a lot of coaching defense and rebounding. Its just reach up and jump a little. Griner did not really develop as a post player until she left Baylor.

Reaction Score
I am still trying to interpret this statement of Jeff's

Westbrook, the No. 2 rated player in the nation in 2017 behind Walker, evidently wanted to know why UConn hadn’t pushed harder to get her the first time around. She was dragging out her recruiting, so UConn took their chances on a couple of players that wanted to come. It didn’t work out. And now? Well, now they are fixing it. Evina is Ms. Fix-It.

My best interpretation is ???

UConn had an open offer to Evina but did not fawn (give promises?) over her to the level she felt she deserved. She took too long to decide and Geno had to change direction?

Is this comment of Jeff's based on well known facts or deduction? :confused::confused:

Different interpretation:
UConn showed interest but other schools were gaga. She interpreted that, perhaps not unreasonably, as the other schools wanting her more.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If she's not starting presumably the reason is she isn't developing enough. If that's the case then her minutes would potentially be limited until she shows she deserves them. Considering she's their only height at the moment, we'd better hope she's capable of starting. Needless to say, her upside is greater than just about anyone else's on the team.

This was my thought as well when I made that comment. ;)

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Update from Sicily

This Sunday morning, I came across a beehive of BB activity and came face to face with a genuine talent of the distaff persuasion.

In the seaside town of Mazra del vallo, we noted numerous, local, dignitaries dressed to the kill taking (perhaps) their last, peaceful, Sunday stroll prior to the summer invasion by hordes of beachgoers.

The lovely and finely decorated Cathedral was packed with the faithful ..,
(Southern Sicily must have been really, really wealthy...both before and after the 1693 earthquake...man, were riches spent to rebuild and decorate).

But outside in the Square, under an azure sky, 6 basketball courts had been set up, one set occupied by a grade-school team in their native green, practicing up a storm in prep for an afternoon game.

And on an adjacent court, a solitary young woman of considerable skill and athletic prowess (and size) was working on her mid-range jumpers and (most
impressively) her under-the-basket reverse layups.

Here is the young woman that Eric and Zorro assigned me to find, thought I, as I walked up to get her name and E-mail address.

My wife pulled me back..."She's only 8 or 9, she noted, don't make a fool of yourself."

I promise
I'll be back on a few years to monitor her progress.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t think we’ll add anyone else. If you want know who UConn is interested in just go look at who Jasmine lister follows on Instagram.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don’t think we’ll add anyone else. If you want know who UConn is interested in just go look at who Jasmine lister follows on Instagram.

That doesn't appear to apply to transfer candidates. Probably just high school targets.

Reaction Score
This was my thought as well when I made that comment. ;)

I just don't think starting is a big deal though I think ONO will start. I just didn't agree with your comment that she was going to start every game. She'll be put in the doghouse for at least 1 game. And if UCONN starts "small" in the AAC-- and if UCONN has Westbrook-- other than the 1 rare game which a team surprises to make a game close-- you really think UCONN will be in danger of losing in the AAC other than one night?

How many times have we heard it's not important who starts the game but who finishes it?

The AAC is not a good conference. If Westbrook is able to play -- the opposing teams other than 1 off-night aren't going to win whether ONO starts and plays 30 or comes off the bench and plays 30. Anyways I agree overall with you and all others - ONO will get terrific minutes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom