Geno hints at more roster additions | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Geno hints at more roster additions

Reaction Score
Thank you, your posts are

Exactly what does HEALTHY LOOK LIKE?

I assume your question is intended to be humorous. But if it is sincere and you do not know then you might consider that being overweight is considered unhealthy. Therefore if one loses weight and achieves a more optimal weight it is considered a shift toward better health. In Geno's case, his reduced waistline coupled with his not looking tired has him "looking healthy."
Are you good with that Bellemare?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I do. I highly doubt she will. On a minor note Geno has benched Stewie and Tuck and Tina Charles (though I'm not sure if it was to start a game.). But imo ONO is a non-aggressive player at times and because Geno will want her to become more of an aggressive player -- there will be practices he'll get disgusted with her and she won;t start. Nor did he start Stevens despite the fact the year before I believe Miss State blitzed UCONN on the glass at least for a half. IMO ONO is the type of player Geno is going to have to be a very hard coach with and I'd guess she certainly expects it.

If ONO didn't start one regular season game throughout next year (I don;t expect that to happen just giving a hypothetical) and UCONN gets Westbrook accepted, and ONO comes off the bench, how many games you think UCONN loses as a maximum?

ONO can still get very, very, very, very good minutes without starting -- though I would expect she'd start a lot. But I'd be shocked if it was every game.

Thanks for your reply. This is the kind of response I was hoping to get. There may be differences of opinion on this which is fodder we can use for discussing ONO's presence and impact on the team going into the summer.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Speaking of speaking Italian, anyone remember when Geno was interviewed in Italian back when UConn did their euro tour in 2011? ;)

That was awesome! An absolute classic. "Would you consider moderating the Boneyard when you retire?" "Maybe when hell freezes over and I'm relegated to a convalescent home eating yogurt and oatmeal..."

You outdid yourself Biff!!!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Speaking of speaking Italian, anyone remember when Geno was interviewed in Italian back when UConn did their euro tour in 2011? ;)

:eek:

"When hell freezes over and I've lost my mind". I knew it!! I knew Geno comes to the Boneyard occasionally when he's bored and needs a few laughs. I wonder if he has a burner account, and has responded to some of our posts? :eek:

Reaction Score
It's unfathomable that Liv would not be a starter next year. I expect her to be a dramatically improved player next year, one who should not merely make an impact on UConn BB, but on the national scene of all of WCBB.

WHat's the definition of an impact player? I consider it an all-american/ and for UCONN teh impact player is a "championship contender" type of impact for discussion purposes.

I would be shocked/ stunned if she was "that" as a soph an impact player the caliber I mentioned above for next year.

IMo overall next year she is a "hold the fort" type player.

Reaction Score
Thanks for your reply. This is the kind of response I was hoping to get. There may be differences of opinion on this which is fodder we can use for discussing ONO's presence and impact on the team going into the summer.

I just wonder if we're on the same page? And maybe we aren't that different?

I just don't think she is going to start"every" game. I'd be stunned -especially how Geno has spoken about how she looks in practices. But you didn't think I meant she won't start at all, did you?

The only reason why I brought "what if she didn't start? . . ." was that I brought up a pure hypothetical that even if she never started in a make believe fantasy view and she still played a lot of minutes coming off the bench - UCONN is still going to win a lot of games whether she starts or doesn't. Is this "our difference of opinion?"

ONO is going to play. I just don't believe she is an a/a caliber player yet in her soph year, and with that type of talent she has -- Gneo isn't going to let up. Some game(s) imo he will not start her.

***He didn't start Tina Charles going into the NCAA Tourney-- and yet Tina was on the ALL-Tourney team and 3rd team all-american. Geno didn't start Maya Moore early on. He wanted a "game-changer" on the bench before injuries. For me -- this year --I dont think is matters how much ONO starts -- but i think she'll get very good minutes and help the team win a lot of games. And some games they'll win because she makes some big plays. Is that considered an "impact player" even though she isn't an a/a?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
ONO is going to play. I just don't believe she is an a/a caliber player yet in her soph year, and with that type of talent she has -- Gneo isn't going to let up. Some game(s) imo he will not start her.

Who would start if Nelson-Ododa doesn't? One of the freshmen? A lineup with Adebayo replacing N-O is spectacularly undersized.

Reaction Score
Who would start if Nelson-Ododa doesn't? One of the freshmen? A lineup with Adebayo replacing N-O is spectacularly undersized.

It is-- but I'll ask the below in bold -- how many games you think UCONN loses next year if ONO plays but doesn't start? What's the big deal about starting? At some point ONO has to come out of the game anyways, right?

If ONO didn't start one regular season game throughout next year (I don;t expect that to happen just giving a hypothetical) and UCONN gets Westbrook accepted, and ONO comes off the bench, how many games you think UCONN loses as a maximum?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
It is-- but I'll ask the below in bold -- how many games you think UCONN loses next year if ONO plays but doesn't start? What's the big deal about starting? At some point ONO has to come out of the game anyways, right?

If she's not starting presumably the reason is she isn't developing enough. If that's the case then her minutes would potentially be limited until she shows she deserves them. Considering she's their only height at the moment, we'd better hope she's capable of starting. Needless to say, her upside is greater than just about anyone else's on the team.

Reaction Score
If she's not starting presumably the reason is she isn't developing enough. If that's the case then her minutes would potentially be limited until she shows she deserves them. Considering she's their only height at the moment, we'd better hope she's capable of starting. Needless to say, her upside is greater than just about anyone else's on the team.

But you didn't answer the question. That's okay. And please don''t take my post as I think she won't start. Nor does it mean I think it best she comes off the bench.

As far as upside, I don't see the relevance of starting vs not. Maya Moore and Nykesha Slaes had higher upsides than their counterparts by a lot and they came off the bench. Geno has said he loved the Celtics way of 6th player off the bench.

And if she gets the same minutes whether she starts or doesn't - then how does that limit her upside? I just don't understand your point of "upside."

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
And if she gets the same minutes whether she starts or doesn't - then how does that limit her upside? I just don't understand your point of "upside."

She's not likely to get anywhere near the minutes coming off the bench. If she's not playing well enough to start why would she get 25+ MPG as a reserve? If she's going to log big minutes it's because she's playing well enough to start.

I have no idea how many games they'd lose with ONO relegated to the bench. I just know that they'd be even more vulnerable without her size and length on the floor against their toughest opponents.

Reaction Score
So many of you are fixated on the players' height? Morgan Tuck is 6'2". I hear she was a decent player at UConn.
How well does a 6'2" player defend a 6'7" player, nevermind a 6'9" player?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sure, ONO may not start "every" game. She might miss a game for the flu. Or Abdominal strain. Maybe a game in Geno's doghouse. But independent of stuff like that, she's starting. If not, then UCONN's gonna be in trouble.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sure, ONO may not start "every" game. She might miss a game for the flu. Or Abdominal strain. Maybe a game in Geno's doghouse. But independent of stuff like that, she's starting. If not, then UCONN's gonna be in trouble.
The idea that Liv might come off the bench next year is not realistic other than as you suggest. Liv is not spending the entire summer in Storrs lifting weights and working on her game so that she can be a reserve next season.

After throwing some shade at Liv early on over her work level, Geno was extremely complementary of her down the stretch this past season. While I expect Liv to improve her ability to finish around the basket on offense, her rebounding and athleticism protecting the rim will be the key to UConn making a run at a 12th championship next season.

Liv’s size and athleticism as a big time rim protector will allow UConn to pressure the ball on defense all over the court. As a result UConn will force a lot more turnovers next year resulting in a lot more easy transition (Showtime) baskets.

Assuming that Evina is eligible, the additional depth that Geno has added, particularly Evelyn as an experienced forward, allows UConn to absorb some foul trouble without worrying about a “short bench.”

Reaction Score
She's not likely to get anywhere near the minutes coming off the bench. If she's not playing well enough to start why would she get 25+ MPG as a reserve? If she's going to log big minutes it's because she's playing well enough to start.

I have no idea how many games they'd lose with ONO relegated to the bench. I just know that they'd be even more vulnerable without her size and length on the floor against their toughest opponents.

Relegated to the bench????????????? You're missing the entire point. Players that come off the bench can play more than 25+ minutes. Doty was a starter and she stopped being one of the top guards on the team. KML came off the bench and averaged over 25 minutes as a frosh, didn;t she? Geno had Maya come off the bench her frosh year to start the season and until injuries had come to play. HE had Tina Charles come off the bench to start the NCAA Tourney even though she was on the all-tourney team and that year she wound up being 3rd team a/a. I'm sure she averaged more than 25 minutes.

I understand that I asked a "fantasy question" of "what if she didn;t start every game" it wasn't meant that I think she would come off the bench every game. It was a fantasy question that even if she did - UCONN would still be successful. You';re taking it to another level of "if she comes off the bench it means she isn't playing well." I disagree with that but I don't think we want to to go back-and-forth on value of 6th player off-the-bench, do we? I somehow remember the mods don't want us going back and forth a lot and overall I think your point overall is right - At least I think your point-- and that is ONO will start many if not all games.

I could continue the posts back-and-forth as to why I think it "possible" to have her come off the bench but I think other posters on here and maybe even you would get frustrated with me which for one I don;t want - but secondly I do think she will start. So I'm not sure it's worth going on why I think a player can come off the bench consistently and play 25+ minutes and i've given examples above. And I do have to leave for work. The original point I made to carnac was that I think Geno will not let her start at least for one game. She's going to upset him enough to cause him to have her not start at least once.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
The original point I made to carnac was that I think Geno will not let her start at least for one game. She's going to upset him enough to cause him to have her not start at least once.

Then it may be two games. Senior night starters will be Dangerfield, Bent, Irwin, Camara, and Adebayo.

Reaction Score
The idea that Liv might come off the bench next year is not realistic other than as you suggest.

I'm hoping you didn't think that was my point if you are assuming that I thought so. I was just trying to make a point that starters vs bench players the bench player can play lots of minutes. But secondly and more importantly I started this off by the comment carnac made that ONO will start the rest of her career. As Meyers said -- there could be a "doghouse game" -- I expect Geno to ride ONO hard.

I think we all can agree ONO is one of the major keys to the season - and I think we all heard Geno say she isn't much of a practice player. I predict that will drive him nuts at some point. That's the context of point. IMO he'll use minutes and starting as motivation tools with her. He values practices too and she isn't great at that. But she'll definitely start a lot of games imo. I'm on board with that. Don’t want my message getting drowned out by why I think a player coming off the bench getting 30+ minutes can be just as valuable as starting and getting 30+ minutes.

Off to work!

Reaction Score
Then it may be two games. Senior night starters will be Dangerfield, Bent, Irwin, Camara, and Adebayo.

The context of my post was that there will be a doghouse game or two. In other words performance driven not because she is sick, or hurt and sr night.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
The context of my post was that there will be a doghouse game or two. In other words performance driven not because she is sick, or hurt and sr night.

*sigh* I know, I guess I needed a :rolleyes: or two.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I just wonder if we're on the same page? And maybe we aren't that different?

I just don't think she is going to start"every" game. I'd be stunned -especially how Geno has spoken about how she looks in practices. But you didn't think I meant she won't start at all, did you?

The only reason why I brought "what if she didn't start? . . ." was that I brought up a pure hypothetical that even if she never started in a make believe fantasy view and she still played a lot of minutes coming off the bench - UCONN is still going to win a lot of games whether she starts or doesn't. Is this "our difference of opinion?"

***He didn't start Tina Charles going into the NCAA Tourney-- and yet Tina was on the ALL-Tourney team and 3rd team all-american. Geno didn't start Maya Moore early on. He wanted a "game-changer" on the bench before injuries. For me -- this year --I dont think is matters how much ONO starts -- but i think she'll get very good minutes and help the team win a lot of games. And some games they'll win because she makes some big plays. Is that considered an "impact player" even though she isn't an a/a?

That's why I asked the question. We're still in May. It's 5 months before official practice begins, and another 3 weeks after that before their 1st exhibition game. A lot can happen between now and then. For clarification purposes, I’ll rephrase my comment: ONO will have “starter’s status” the remainder of her time in Storrs. Once you’re a starter, you start.

The last time Geno pulled a starter was the 2014-2015 season when he pulled Chong and Stokes and replaced them with Nurse and Tuck 2 games into the season (after the road loss to Stanford).

I'm suggesting that ONO will start because she was the 6th man last year, as Walker was her freshman year. Walker started every game her sophomore year, and she’ll remain a starter this coming season.

Granted, Geno did not have the influx of players coming in this past year as he does THIS year. That may make a difference. Geno will have more options to begin the season that he didn’t have a month ago. So while It’s possible ONO could start the season coming off the bench, I don't think so.

I expect her to look so good in early practice sessions and prove that she has made the leap, that Geno will be forced to start her. I also expect Williams to make a similar leap. All we can go on is Geno's past behavior and tendencies. Who knows how true to form he'll remain. If ONO does not start, who does? There are two openings. I'm guessing she'll get one.

We’ll all be able to make a more intelligent assessment of the team by November 1st, after the roster is set (right now its's not, Geno has hinted there may be more to come), and the team has 2 weeks of practice under their belts. We'll know which one of the new players (if any) have stood out in practice, and who Geno likes at that point. Right now, we're guessing. I'm sure the beat writers will keep us up to date on the team's progress during that time.

Geno will have options he didn't have last year. Everyone will be auditioning for those two spots. Right now, we're just having fun going back and forth and feeling each other out. Geno is the only one that has any idea, and even he doesn't know at this time with the fianl roster incomplete. Even Carnac the great has no clue on May 24th, it's way too early. ;)In May we're ALL guessing. By November, we'll know.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
The idea that Liv might come off the bench next year is not realistic other than as you suggest. Liv is not spending the entire summer in Storrs lifting weights and working on her game so that she can be a reserve next season.

After throwing some shade at Liv early on over her work level, Geno was extremely complementary of her down the stretch this past season. While I expect Liv to improve her ability to finish around the basket on offense, her rebounding and athleticism protecting the rim will be the key to UConn making a run at a 12th championship next season.

Liv’s size and athleticism as a big time rim protector will allow UConn to pressure the ball on defense all over the court. As a result UConn will force a lot more turnovers next year resulting in a lot more easy transition (Showtime) baskets.

Assuming that Evina is eligible, the additional depth that Geno has added, particularly Evelyn as an experienced forward, allows UConn to absorb some foul trouble without worrying about a “short bench.”

Great post OD,

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom