Geno hints at more roster additions | The Boneyard

Geno hints at more roster additions

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
From coaches road show in Mystic.

And the tinkering may not be done. “We knew who we were getting. We knew we were getting a couple good players. Maybe, we’re not finished yet,” Auriemma said Tuesday from the UConn Coaches Roadshow at Latitude 41.

Geno talked about the recent additions:

“Anna is one of those kids that, whatever position we want her to play, that’s where she’ll play,” Auriemma said. “She can pass, she can shoot, she’s smart. All those kids are tough.”

Meanwhile, Adebayo — a 6-foot-1 forward who averaged a double-double a year ago — fills a need in the post, and Westbrook gives the backcourt another proven scorer.

“Evelyn is kind of new to the game,” he said. “She’s kind of bounced around a little bit. She has a lot of little neat offensive skills. She’s a big kid that can shoot and handle the ball. We need some size, we need some rebounding. She’s going to provide some of that.

“Depending on when we get Evina, we’re getting a terrific guard who can play any one of those perimeter spots and make a lot happen.”

https://www.nhregister.com/uconn/ar..._source=post original url&utm_medium=referral

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Informative article on Geno's assessment of his newcomers. Geno looking svelte. No problem standing on the knee.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I take that to mean they are interested in another potential grad transfer. Certainly could use another good player in the frontcourt.

I'm guessing he won't be satisfied with his roster until he has at least one more BIG. He's brought in some very nice players to date, but crap happens. If anything were to happen to ONO, even short term, and he didn't have a BIG post player backing her up, he'd be in a bind. ONO needs a legitimate 6'4" or taller back up. Right now, the next tallest players on roster are reserves Batouly Camara and Kayla Irwin at 6'2". ONO will be starting the remainder of her time at UConn. Anyone here think otherwise?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm guessing he won't be satisfied with his roster until he has at least one more BIG. He's brought in some very nice players to date, but crap happens. If anything were to happen to ONO, even short term, and he didn't have a BIG post player backing her up, he'd be in a bind. ONO needs a legitimate 6'4" or taller back up. :cool: ONO will be starting the remainder of her time at UConn. Anyone here think otherwise?

I'm not sure there are any grad transfer Posts still left that are UConn caliber players.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
This version of the article has a bit more to it:

Perhaps that’ll change this year, as Auriemma waits — or better yet, hopes — for this latest recruiting class to make its mark.

“I don’t know what they say, but when you flip a coin 100 times and the first 99 times it comes up heads, you keep betting it’s going to be tails sooner or later, right?,” Auriemma said. “You keep getting it right in recruiting like we have for so many years, at some point you’re going to have a couple stumbles. What are you going to do?”

Auriemma is hopeful Westbrook can join them, but the NCAA has traditionally been inconsistent when ruling on transfers.

“Every kid who transfers now, it’s automatic. You put in for a waiver and you see what comes back,” Auriemma said.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs was at the same event where Geno made the above comments. He gets more ...oh, so much more including Geno's thoughts on the Tennessee rivalry and Westbrook's comments re: Holly Warlick.

“Recruiting players is harder than ever because what’s involved in the process. You got a lot of these kids who can’t play, but because they watch the men they think they are as good as they are. They’ll watch Zion Williamson and the Duke kids and they’ll go, I was a first-team women’s All-American in high school, so I’m going to act like that and want to be treated like that. It’s like what’s wrong with you? But that’s what these kids are being told by everyone around them. Recruiting is impossible anymore.

“The worst part is after you get them to come and play, you’ve got to keep recruiting them at the end of every year. Hey, who are you recruiting this year? Well, three guys on my team who are thinking about leaving. It’s the craziest thing and every coach is dealing with it. I don’t know any coach in America who hasn’t said to me at one point that this is ridiculous. The floods gates have been opened and the NCAA is only going to make it easier for kids to transfer. They’re not going to make it any harder.”

Westbrook, the No. 2 rated player in the nation in 2017 behind Walker, evidently wanted to know why UConn hadn’t pushed harder to get her the first time around. She was dragging out her recruiting, so UConn took their chances on a couple of players that wanted to come. It didn’t work out. And now? Well, now they are fixing it. Evina is Ms. Fix-It.

Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs was at the same event where Geno made the above comments. He gets more ...oh, so much more including Geno's thoughts on the Tennessee rivalry and Westbrook's comments re: Holly Warlick.

“Recruiting players is harder than ever because what’s involved in the process. You got a lot of these kids who can’t play, but because they watch the men they think they are as good as they are. They’ll watch Zion Williamson and the Duke kids and they’ll go, I was a first-team women’s All-American in high school, so I’m going to act like that and want to be treated like that. It’s like what’s wrong with you? But that’s what these kids are being told by everyone around them. Recruiting is impossible anymore.

“The worst part is after you get them to come and play, you’ve got to keep recruiting them at the end of every year. Hey, who are you recruiting this year? Well, three guys on my team who are thinking about leaving. It’s the craziest thing and every coach is dealing with it. I don’t know any coach in America who hasn’t said to me at one point that this is ridiculous. The floods gates have been opened and the NCAA is only going to make it easier for kids to transfer. They’re not going to make it any harder.”

Westbrook, the No. 2 rated player in the nation in 2017 behind Walker, evidently wanted to know why UConn hadn’t pushed harder to get her the first time around. She was dragging out her recruiting, so UConn took their chances on a couple of players that wanted to come. It didn’t work out. And now? Well, now they are fixing it. Evina is Ms. Fix-It.

Interesting.... sounds like Evina wanted UConn all along

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For those who thought Evina's 'no confidence' vote of Holly would be a red flag,

'Westbrook, with two years of eligibility remaining, raised eyebrows after the Lady Vols were eliminated from the first round of the NCAA Tournament. Saying she didn’t know if Warlick would be back, exactly charge the mountain for the embattled coach.

“I just think off-the-court stuff, steps need to be taken with our staff and just overall off the court with this team,” she said.

Asked if he was bothered by any of this, Auriemma said no.

“It doesn’t,” he said. “Kids say things all the time. Coaches say things all the time. I wasn’t there. I know Holly really well. I don’t presume to know how that all went down. I’m not going to make any decision based on that. She knows the way she handled that probably wasn’t the best way to handle it. We talked about it, and she knows that.”'

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am still trying to interpret this statement of Jeff's

My best interpretation is ???

UConn had an open offer to Evina but did not fawn (give promises?) over her to the level she felt she deserved. She took too long to decide and Geno had to change direction?

Is this comment of Jeff's based on well known facts or deduction? :confused::confused:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Really like this line about TN

"Yeah, the name is the same but nothing else is the same. It’s almost like they’re any other school now.”

:D:D:D

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With Laksa entering the portal last night, could it be yet another wing, perhaps as insurance against the possibility that Evina’s waiver will not be granted? As I said in another post, if Laksa joins a UConn team with all the scorers Geno has lined up, maybe they can figure out a way to play with more than one ball at the same time.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I guess the CT Post doesn't hire proof readers any more! Some of the more interesting sentences in Jacobs article are missing a few words.

A fun one: "Saying she didn’t know if Warlick would be back, exactly charge the mountain for the embattled coach. " Hmmm: "didn't"..."she didn't"

"And with that, hey, maybe he add another player soon." 'll or "will"

I respect JJ's work, but you gotta get your punch line right.

Reaction Score
Informative article on Geno's assessment of his newcomers. Geno looking svelte. No problem standing on the knee.

View attachment 43429
Svelt or thin? He looks like he's ridden the devil and barely won. Standing on a repaired knee is required, but not always painless. Give the guy MUCHO credit, out on the circuit.
I like his assessment of Ania, if she proves all he believes I will be on happy camper. She is coming to CT where the population of Polish speaking peoples may impress her, she may find a few Ania Grandma's as Sveta did.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Svelt or thin? He looks like he's ridden the devil and barely won. Standing on a repaired knee is required, but not always painless. Give the guy MUCHO credit, out on the circuit.
I like his assessment of Ania, if she proves all he believes I will be on happy camper. She is coming to CT where the population of Polish speaking peoples may impress her, she may find a few Ania Grandma's as Sveta did.

Geno looks great to me. :D

svelte
/svelt,sfelt/
adjective

(of a person) slender and elegant.

Reaction Score
I guess the CT Post doesn't hire proof readers any more! Some of the more interesting sentences in Jacobs article are missing a few words.

A fun one: "Saying she didn’t know if Warlick would be back, exactly charge the mountain for the embattled coach. " Hmmm: "didn't"..."she didn't"

"And with that, hey, maybe he add another player soon." 'll or "will"

I respect JJ's work, but you gotta get your punch line right.
Spell check is the new proof reader. Can't blame them, few readers of paper, the pages in my local paper went from few to singles.
Geno had great word for Ania, hopeful words for Evelyn and Westbrook.
If he adds a new player I hope she is effective,useful over 6 ft 4.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom