Geno hints at more roster additions | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno hints at more roster additions

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Spending plenty (actually, not so much) in the streets of Catania today.
Saw more than a few tall, young woman.
Don't know if they play BB, though.
You didn't take your UCONN women's basketball program recruiting kit. Always take at least a few handouts. ;):rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
You didn't take your UCONN women's basketball program recruiting kit. Always take at least a few handouts. ;):rolleyes:

The proper way to recruit internationally is to wear UConn gear and when you hear some one gushing about the storied UConn program, you reel them in.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing he won't be satisfied with his roster until he has at least one more BIG. He's brought in some very nice players to date, but crap happens. If anything were to happen to ONO, even short term, and he didn't have a BIG post player backing her up, he'd be in a bind. ONO needs a legitimate 6'4" or taller back up. :cool: ONO will be starting the remainder of her time at UConn. Anyone here think otherwise?
I rarely dis agree with Scoop, but Carnac is a different story. I too would like a 6 ' 3 or greater true Center. Life isn't about what I like, it's what likes me or wants to be on my team or one that will fit on my team in my rules in my concepts. Recruiting is at least a 2 way street, nearly a marriage of sorts. @JordyG, whose opinion I respect, laments not getting Collins (I too wanted her or another BIG) I doubt Geno didn't look seriously that way or he saw something that turned him off.
If Geno does not get a Big it isn't always his choice. Uconn is a hard, demanding program and as often written--Uconn is not for all top players.
I applaude the efforts Geno has made to fill up, more than normal fill, his roster. This is UN Geno like taking so many. Let us cheer what he has done what he has brought to the team. It's great to WANT a Big--but we must acknowledge what Geno has given us.

Reaction Score
The proper way to recruit internationally is to wear UConn gear and when you hear some one gushing about the storied UConn program, you reel them in.
That sounds like a task that should be added to the CIA mission.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I've had 3 arthroscopic surgeries on my knees. 2 on the left and one on the right. I also have a 6 inch long , scar on my right knee for surgery - long before the arthroscopic procedures. Usually you are up and putting weight on your knee about 48 hours after the surgery. There may be some pain and discomfort but it goes away quickly. The more you move about the better. I put the one crutch away after three days.

As to recruiting - Geno kept much of his recruiting quiet. Eventually the two Polish ladies names made it to the press. Didn't hear anything on Evelyn until the announcement was made. We had a twitter post referencing Evina but nothing more than speculation until she made the announcement. So who knows what's next.

However, some will not be happy until we have at least 4 or 5 front line players who are at least 6' 6"!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
I am still trying to interpret this statement of Jeff's

Westbrook, the No. 2 rated player in the nation in 2017 behind Walker, evidently wanted to know why UConn hadn’t pushed harder to get her the first time around. She was dragging out her recruiting, so UConn took their chances on a couple of players that wanted to come. It didn’t work out. And now? Well, now they are fixing it. Evina is Ms. Fix-It.

My best interpretation is ???

UConn had an open offer to Evina but did not fawn (give promises?) over her to the level she felt she deserved. She took too long to decide and Geno had to change direction?

Is this comment of Jeff's based on well known facts or deduction? :confused::confused:
Facts? Deduction? Speculation? Argumentative? This is the BY all are used by all at one time or other. At this point in her recruitment does this really matter?? Uconn has her and they don't!!

Reaction Score
I've had 3 arthroscopic surgeries on my knees. 2 on the left and one on the right. I also have a 6 inch long , scar on my right knee for surgery - long before the arthroscopic procedures. Usually you are up and putting weight on your knee about 48 hours after the surgery. There may be some pain and discomfort but it goes away quickly. The more you move about the better. I put the one crutch away after three days.

As to recruiting - Geno kept much of his recruiting quiet. Eventually the two Polish ladies names made it to the press. Didn't hear anything on Evelyn until the announcement was made. We had a twitter post referencing Evina but nothing more than speculation until she made the announcement. So who knows what's next.

However, some will not be happy until we have at least 4 or 5 front line players who are at least 6' 6"!!!!!!!!
Actually I was hoping for 7 or 8 post players to go along with Danger. They tip the ball to Danger run down, Danger makes a high pass ---basket. On the other end Danger defends all 3 ball shots the 4 bigs swat the ball to Danger, repeat and repeat--50 to 0, half time.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm not sure there are any grad transfer Posts still left that are UConn caliber players.
It takes 48 hours for a player to be entered into the portal. We never got a definitive answer if Grad transfers have to enter into the portal. I know Laska did just not sure she was required to. To become a grad transfer means you have diploma in hand-which might take a few extra classes to degree completion. To go on recruiting visits prior to getting a degree would require permission from the old school if those visit happen before you get the degree like for Ariel Howard last year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm not sure there are any grad transfer Posts still left that are UConn caliber players.

..........................in the USA, I agree. At this point for next year, they're all gone. Look at the 2020 class, Elite BIGS are the first to go. 6'6" Kamilla Cardoso (#5) is the only top 10 ranked post player with size that remains uncommitted. BIGS are a rare commodity, and are in VERY short supply. Guards and forwards can easily be found. It's that 6'5 or 6'6" elite post player that can run the floor and play BOTH ends of the court that are hard to recruit. They are not hard to find, just hard to recruit because EVERY top 10 program in the country wants them. Sakima Walker (6'4") is ranked #54 and still uncommitted. I don't know anything about her, or if she's UConn material. It already been mentioned here several times that Geno WILL NOT take a big simply because she's big. Post players must fall within the guide lines and fit the profile he wants in his post players.

It's a good bet that any post players Geno brings in for the upcoming season will be from over seas.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
From coaches road show in Mystic.

And the tinkering may not be done. “We knew who we were getting. We knew we were getting a couple good players. Maybe, we’re not finished yet,” Auriemma said Tuesday from the UConn Coaches Roadshow at Latitude 41.

Geno talked about the recent additions:

“Anna is one of those kids that, whatever position we want her to play, that’s where she’ll play,” Auriemma said. “She can pass, she can shoot, she’s smart. All those kids are tough.”

Meanwhile, Adebayo — a 6-foot-1 forward who averaged a double-double a year ago — fills a need in the post, and Westbrook gives the backcourt another proven scorer.

“Evelyn is kind of new to the game,” he said. “She’s kind of bounced around a little bit. She has a lot of little neat offensive skills. She’s a big kid that can shoot and handle the ball. We need some size, we need some rebounding. She’s going to provide some of that.

“Depending on when we get Evina, we’re getting a terrific guard who can play any one of those perimeter spots and make a lot happen.”

So Kelli Stacy is out with an article this morning which has Geno saying something a bit different than in this quote above:

“It’s not like we were sitting around going ‘Geez, I hope we get some good kids that want to come here,'" Auriemma said Tuesday night as the annual UConn Coaches Road Show made its first stop of 2019, at Latitude 41 in Mystic. "We knew who we were getting. We knew we were getting good players, and hopefully maybe we’re not finished yet. We’ll see.”

I like this better, because you got 3 players so don't say we got a couple of good ones! And this is less a tease, less equivocal - yeah, we are still at work.

In the midst of fan panic, Geno Auriemma had a plan in place for UConn women all along

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Well Hell, Michael, stop them and ASK them "Do you play basketball?" You might be missiing out on the very player we need!

My Italian isn't very good.

Reaction Score
I'm Italian and we all pretty much talk with our hands. All you have to do is speak loudly and excitedly, and use lots of hand gestures! They will get the message! :D
Hand them the UCW basketball, it works at least in Knoxville.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing he won't be satisfied with his roster until he has at least one more BIG. He's brought in some very nice players to date, but crap happens. If anything were to happen to ONO, even short term, and he didn't have a BIG post player backing her up, he'd be in a bind. ONO needs a legitimate 6'4" or taller back up. Right now, the next tallest players on roster are reserves Batouly Camara and Kayla Irwin at 6'2". ONO will be starting the remainder of her time at UConn. Anyone here think otherwise?
Not ME

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Eric
Will be actively following your advice, tomorrow at Taormina.
Recruiting time!
(Hope I don't get arrested)

Reaction Score
A 6'5" or taller player from China or Australia would be a welcomed addition for next year. I think it is time to see what Geno can do with a 6'8" player.

Reaction Score
You mean Kara Walters? Been done already.
I believe she is only 6'7"... does not count... I want a real 6'8" or taller. A female version of Okafor or Josh Boone.... Could you imagine???

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom