Geno has Nika thinking about offense | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno has Nika thinking about offense

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
don't understand that comparison at all, Faris was never committing the fouls that Muhl does.
Both viewed as their team's defensive stopper; both passed up open shots with regularity. No, they are not identical.

Reaction Score
When you have Azzi and Paige with you, do we really think Geno wants Nika putting up a lot of shots? Even with Lou. I don't think so. Still, Nika's a valuable player we don't want to lose. And Geno doesn't want to lose her either. It's encouraging that she is improving and at minimun, Geno would probably say she is even if she isn't. Cracking the "guard" lineup is tough on this team. I'd play them all a lot and keep them fresh. In the long run we have fewer injuries with that approach. I see no reason why we can't take that approach this year.
It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Everyone has made some great points about Nika and her looking for her offense.

Reaction Score
As RockyMTblue2 alluded to above, I have also always felt a similarity between Nika and Kelly. Not in that their games were identical but rather in their intensity, defensive commitment and who they are/were as a teammate.

I think Nika's main adjustment to increasing her offensive game has to happen on the mental side. I believe she is capable skill wise. I recall at one point during a presser she was asked 'if she believed she needed to shoot more to help her team'. Her response was 'No, she didn't see that as her role with all the great scorers on her team'. Geno has been trying to dissuade her of that belief, possibly since she arrived. This could be one of the areas that Geno has alluded to that Nika and he haven't seen eye to eye on, coupled with the fact that she is stubborn. Judging from what she has said, and seemingly is focusing on presently, she has come around to accept that she needs to be more of an offensive threat for the betterment of the team. She appears to be committed to making those adjustments. As she pointed out, she feels she needs to 'add that to her game' rather than change the role she has always played for her team (the energy guy, defensive leader...). Given her change in mindset, I believe she will do what she set out to do. After all as she said, 'He is the smartest man in the country, boss man'.

Reaction Score
The mental side is a big part of it. But there are also some real skills Nika has yet to show. I realize this is an unfair comparison, but think about all the ways Paige or Azzi (or Christyn) have of finishing at the rim -- the floats, finger rolls, baby hooks, reverses, pop-ups, side-arms, all the ways they know to use their bodies to seal off a defender, to generate contact, to force a foul. Nika has not demonstrated any of this. She doesn't have to develop a full arsenal. But there's definitely skills to work on, and the good news is that practicing skills like these is the main way to develop the mental side.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The mental side is a big part of it. But there are also some real skills Nika has yet to show. I realize this is an unfair comparison, but think about all the ways Paige or Azzi (or Christyn) have of finishing at the rim -- the floats, finger rolls, baby hooks, reverses, pop-ups, side-arms, all the ways they know to use their bodies to seal off a defender, to generate contact, to force a foul. Nika has not demonstrated any of this. She doesn't have to develop a full arsenal. But there's definitely skills to work on, and the good news is that practicing skills like these is the main way to develop the mental side.
That is not a fair expectation for Nika. The reason why Paige, Azzi, and Christyn were each the #1 guard in their high school class is because they have those (and other) offensive skills. Nika is good, but is not that gifted.

I think a good comparison for Nika is Kia Nurse (as well as Kelly Faris). All of them increased their offensive productivity, and the variety of ways in which they could score, while they were at UConn. Nika has done some of that in two years, and I expect that to continue, particularly with a mid-range pull-up jumper.

My biggest concern about Nika is at the defensive end. Neither she nor Paige/Azzi are really able to defend fast guards like Aari McDonald or Henderson of South Carolina. Fortunately both of those are now in the W, but I'm sure there are other guards with a similar game in college this year. Nika doesn't have to be as quick-footed as they are to defend them effectively (see Katie Douglas in her WNBA years), but she does have to be positionally sound and aware of the scout on each player, so that she can run the player into her help defense. If she can learn to do that in the upcoming season, she will certainly be in the same league as Kia or Kelly as a UConn contributor.

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to a healthy Aubrey, fully recovered and highly motivated at the defensive end, to be the shut-down defender against those quick penetrating guards. She is the only one on the 2022-23 roster with the athletic skill to do that. I hope she recognizes that this is a role which she can seize, and earn a lot of minutes that way.

Reaction Score
That's a good point -- we haven't had the quickest player on the court in a few years, not since Crystal or MoJeff. Gabby was a very quick slasher, and Aubrey may still have that sort of speed. Positional D is how we've managed quicker opponents when we don't have a speedy guard. We don't let that guard beat us, even though they can't be completely shut down. But that depends on efficient, communicative team D.

Diamond Johnson, Rory Harmon are the current prototypes, and we will probably see them this year.

Reaction Score
She is not a natural shooter but she's certainly working hard on developing her offense. I certainly hope she can add that to her arsenal.

Can you imagine if Nika The Gnat becomes as pesky on offense as she is on defense? Look out everybody!!! :D

Reaction Score
My own theory is that Nika has deferred alot to Paige and in her mind for the better for the team. I think there is a sense at UConn with so many unselfish players that they internally defer to the better players on the team. I also think the shock of Nika seeing Paige's incredible ability as a freshman in those first few weeks made her defer and be less aggressive on offense than she may have been prior.

Of course, she should work on improving on the offensive end and being more aggressive but I could see where Paige (who effectively plays the same position as Nika) is so exceptional that it consciously (or subconsciously) limits her aggressiveness by always putting the ball back in Paige's hands . PS. I think this may have effected CW to some extent and to a lesser extent Evina)

On the positive side, I do not see this deferring impulse in Caroline's game or if reports are accurate with Lou
So many smart posts on this thread that it is hard to begin with one but I like very much the observations here about deferral. It has to be selective or it hurts your shot, confidence and consistency and it also hurts the team offense because it is easier to double the "deferee".

As for Caroline, you are right thankfully. She was hurt all year and carried us for several games but is a scorer and a player and shouldn't defer in my mind unless it's giving up a defended shot for a clean one. You want a future 3x3 player for Team USA, I think she would be a solid choice in a couple of years.

As for Nika, if she can finish on the break from the wing position or the middle position both with the left and right hand, and can shoot and hit a pull up within 15 feet, it makes her a much greater asset for us because her defender can't sluff off her and she will have to be picked up on D by the other team and that opens up passing abilities. The best PGs are scorers too when they need to for the team or have an open shot. I'm thinking that Sue player a while ago. She was pretty good.

Reaction Score
I agree 100%. My problem with Nika, and I voiced it time and again, was that she refused to shoot pull ups, while her ability to finish around the hoop was apparent. I stated many times before January last year that she hadn't attempted more than one pull up all year. I remember during one chat after she attempted and missed a pullup someone said in effect, "See JordyG she can shoot pullups". Frequently Nika would drive inside, throw it toward the rim and hope for a call. But things like working off the screen for a shot, jab steps, fadeaways, stop and pops, and running to her spot in the midrange are as foreign to her as dimples on a frog. Learning to work an effective pull up in the quarter court or even in transition takes years of practice. This year I would be happy if she just showed a good stop and pop off the dribble. That would open up her perimeter game and make assists and pocket passes inside much easier for her.
Strong basketball observations. The problem on the drives or breaks was that she couldn't finish. She got lost in the lane and frequently walked. She just needs to learn moves and then do them over and over again so it is muscle memory. She should either go to the basket strong or pull up on these breaks. If she improves just 20% overall on offense we have a different offensive look as a team. She can always drive and then dish if she is a threat, which she needs to be, but turnovers on a break are a killer.

She is a very determined kid; you don't play defense like that naturally, no one does, it is will, preparation, and exertion. We found out in The Last Dance what a student her idol Dennis Rodman was of the game and his next opponent. Remember Bill Russell saying that he got most of his rebounds before the shot was even taken? She is a serious student like both of them. I think she will surprise us all this year on offense and get even better on defense because she will be stronger, smarter and maybe even less tolerant of the referees' continued lapses in judgment about her fouls. Okay, maybe not the last thing.....

Reaction Score
She is not a natural shooter but she's certainly working hard on developing her offense. I certainly hope she can add that to her arsenal.

Can you imagine if Nika The Gnat becomes as pesky on offense as she is on defense? Look out everybody!!! :D
I agree. She is not a natural shooter, probably didn't have to be in Europe. She has great desire and is self-effacing so I would not be surprised with a quantitative improvement on offense. As I posted above, just a solid improvement changes our team with all our other weapons. A consistent pull up from within 15 feet, a finish move off the bounce to the left and right, and more physical strength gives us another dimension.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My own theory is that Nika has deferred alot to Paige and in her mind for the better for the team. I think there is a sense at UConn with so many unselfish players that they internally defer to the better players on the team. I also think the shock of Nika seeing Paige's incredible ability as a freshman in those first few weeks made her defer and be less aggressive on offense than she may have been prior.
Of course, she should work on improving on the offensive end and being more aggressive but I could see where Paige (who effectively plays the same position as Nika) is so exceptional that it consciously (or subconsciously) limits her aggressiveness by always putting the ball back in Paige's hands . PS. I think this may have effected CW to some extent and to a lesser extent Evina)
On the positive side, I do not see this deferring impulse in Caroline's game or if reports are accurate with Lou
I disagree with most of this theory because when Nika is passing up shots or not driving to the basket or not exploiting the mid range Paige is sitting on the bench and just like the rest of us wishing Nika would do those things. I also don't believe you are giving Nika enough credit for properly accessing what is best for this team. Nika has started 34 of 56 games and is getting ready to start her Junior season-quite candidly, it should not have taken this long for her to figure out that what is best for the team is for her to utilize the entire floor. This ( to defer) is also not the UCONN way or meeting the expectations of the staff. When you choose to come to UCONN chances are you are going to be taking the floor with some other very talented players. You can't de deferring because that just makes everyone else jobs harder. All the staff ask is that you do your part and that the same if you are a walk on or an AA.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Strong basketball observations. The problem on the drives or breaks was that she couldn't finish. She got lost in the lane and frequently walked. She just needs to learn moves and then do them over and over again so it is muscle memory. She should either go to the basket strong or pull up on these breaks. If she improves just 20% overall on offense we have a different offensive look as a team. She can always drive and then dish if she is a threat, which she needs to be, but turnovers on a break are a killer.

She is a very determined kid; you don't play defense like that naturally, no one does, it is will, preparation, and exertion. We found out in The Last Dance what a student her idol Dennis Rodman was of the game and his next opponent. Remember Bill Russell saying that he got most of his rebounds before the shot was even taken? She is a serious student like both of them. I think she will surprise us all this year on offense and get even better on defense because she will be stronger, smarter and maybe even less tolerant of the referees' continued lapses in judgment about her fouls. Okay, maybe not the last thing.....
My mistake. I realized I said "her ability to finish around the hoop was apparent" when I meant to say "was not". Meaning her ability to finish. Again, this was something I complained about continually last year.

Reaction Score
My mistake. I realized I said "her ability to finish around the hoop was apparent" when I meant to say "was not". Meaning her ability to finish. Again, this was something I complained about continually last year.
There are times where you can't finish due to the defense or the positioning of the players, yours or theirs. In those circumstances however, you look to dish, in the air if necessary, or kick back out. You don't stop your dribble and then walk. You can jump stop which gives you the option to shoot or just not pick up your dribble. She never had to do this as a young player so there is no muscle memory for this but I am hopeful she will do her best to get it over the summer. She is stronger now and older, full of self confidence, and honored for her efforts, the latter of which I don't think she gives two you know whats about. That's why we love her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom