Geno Finalist for Coach of the Year | The Boneyard

Geno Finalist for Coach of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Really? are either one better than Geno? I doubt it.
It's not a question of them being better. Geno SHOULD win based on the injuries he had to over come with issues to Tuck, KML, Banks, and a seriously shortened bench. BUT UCONN was preseason #1 and so they really had nowhere to go but down. Teams like SC and UNC overachieved based on where people thought they'd be. Having said that, SC is not nearly as good as everyone things - i'm not even sure they are a top 10 team, even tho they are a 1 seed and currently ranked in the top 10. I think they'd lose to UCONN, ND, Stanford, Maryland, Baylor, WVU, PSU, Duke, UNC, and Louisville. They already lost to Tennessee and Kentucky down the stretch. And lost earlier to aTm. Altho in fairness, they beat Kentucky twice when Kentucky was reeling during the regular season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno is the best coach, but he also has the most talent. Because of injuries and the team's dominance, he may win it. If Moore or Staley wins, it will be because they performed well given their talent and exceeded expectations. The expectations for Geno at this point are pretty close to 40-0.

Reaction Score
If Geno dont win it should be changed to "flavor of the year" as a popularity contest instead of COY.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Didn't Muffet get ESPN COY? I could see her getting it as well as the others mentioned above. If Geno were to get it, Muffet's head might just explode!

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Geno is the best coach, but he also has the most talent. Because of injuries and the team's dominance, he may win it. If Moore or Staley wins, it will be because they performed well given their talent and exceeded expectations. The expectations for Geno at this point are pretty close to 40-0.

Isn't Geno the coach of the year every year?

I remember when Yogi Berra won the World Series one year, then was fired 16 games in to the next season. Yogi remarked something like, "What? All of a sudden I'm stupid?"

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I think Kim Mulkey should be coach of the year. She lost 4 starters, including BG, and has put together a great season and pushed us farther to the brink- more than anyone. I would say Dawn Staley is the likely other candidate. I don't think Muffet because they had their entire great team and bench returning, and the best point guard in the country came in and certainly played really well- but Notre Dame IMO was poised to be great this year. Even Geno said, with the talent around her, Moriah only had to be good for us to really really good, and it turns out she played great - and it made our team really great. Coach of W Va is a great coach and probably should be considered if they are as good as adverised. I havn't seen them play this year.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Another name to consider is Scott Rueck of Oregon State. I mentioned him in this thread.

- 2nd place (tie) in the PAC 12 (and resurrecting the program in the post-Lavonda Wagner era, not to mention cleaning up the mess that she left behind - remember, Wagner had 23 people -- including 15 players, four assistant coaches and four support staffers -- leave the program in her five years; when Wagner was fired in 2010 in the wake of allegations of player mistreatment, there were just four players left on then-current roster).

- The last time Oregon State finished in the top three in the PAC 10/PAC 12 Conference? 1995-1996.

- 23 wins. The last time Oregon State even won 21 games? 1994-1995.

- Made the PAC 12 Tournament Championship game (and led USC at the half, before succumbing late).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Muffett
They are undefeated because ND bailed to the suck-up ACC, which let them in without requiring that football be part of the deal. Yes, she's a good coach and ND is a very good team, but if they were 29-3 with no conference title, she would not win it.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
They are undefeated because ND bailed to the suck-up ACC, which let them in without requiring that football be part of the deal. Yes, she's a good coach and ND is a very good team, but if they were 29-3 with no conference title, she would not win it.
and if they stayed maybe UConn wouldnt be defeated... who knows.

Reaction Score
Looking at the history, how did Geno not win in 2003? He graduated four starters, had only one all american, had two freshman amongst the leaders of the team, and finished the year with one loss.

If Baylor had performed similarly, beaten us, and only lost once to West Virginia, you can bet that Mulkey would be getting the award.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Let's understand like it or not giving Geno COY every time he deserves it is not necessarily the best thing for the sport and only angers people at him when he has nothing to do with the selection other than doing his usual great job. He negotiated the liabilities of this year wonderfully. We all know that.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Looking at the history, how did Geno not win in 2003? He graduated four starters, had only one all american, had two freshman amongst the leaders of the team, and finished the year with one loss.

Because he had Diana, and they didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr