Gelato | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gelato

Reaction Score
Maybe I know nothing about gelato, but having eaten the Giuliana Brand which seems to be a staple around here and which I find tasty and not as sugary as conventional ice cream, can anyone offer the name of a brand or a specific place that serves "real gelato?"

Is it something that only somebody's grandmother from Italy knows how to make, and the recipe is a secret to others?

I think my point is that it is super diffocult to find "real gelato" around here.

I am currently on my way to New Canaan

Giuliana, Libby's and all them are REALLY GOOD but not how it is made in italy. Much softer and creamier there. It's the kind of stuff that you have a real tough time eating on a cone because it's too mushy and melts fast.

I've been told that it needs to kept at a much colder temp so you know it's the good stuff when they leep the containers in the store closed and covered most of the time

Reaction Score
There aren't any gelato places in the South End of Hartford?

Not good ones. I've looked everywhere

Mozzicato's is not good

Vecchito's in middletown is good but not gelato.

There's some place in weha but I haven't gone yet

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Maybe I know nothing about gelato, but having eaten the Giuliana Brand which seems to be a staple around here and which I find tasty and not as sugary as conventional ice cream, can anyone offer the name of a brand or a specific place that serves "real gelato?"

Is it something that only somebody's grandmother from Italy knows how to make, and the recipe is a secret to others?
As I said from the start, I'm all ears if anyone has had anything in the states that comes close to what I ate twice a day during the three weeks that we were in Italy around ten years ago.

I have no idea why--water, temperature, humidity, ingredients, etc.--but I haven't had anything here that is like what they serve all over the place there. Not that the stuff being mentioned here is bad; we eat Talenti regularly and I will almost always get an affogato in a restaurant when I see one. But it is a different product.

Reaction Score
Gelatissimo Artisan in New Canaan is as close to italian gelato as I've had in this state. VERY good. Creamy, soft, pretty darn good flavor. Not 100% on point but WAY better than anywhere else. Highly recommended. Parking sucked though.

No pistachio which is normally my favorite so I got chocolate and vanilla

On another note, apparently it isn't kosher to tie your dogs' leashes up outside stores for a few minutes in New Canaan. I got the stink eye from some folks.

I have a 130lb rottie and a pitbull. I guess they're scary. If only they knew the rottie is deathly afraid of everything from ice cubes to caterpillars, lol

Reaction Score
Gelatissimo Artisan in New Canaan is as close to italian gelato as I've had in this state. VERY good. Creamy, soft, pretty darn good flavor. Not 100% on point but WAY better than anywhere else. Highly recommended. Parking sucked though.

On another note, apparently it isn't kosher to tie your dogs' leashes up outside stores for a few minutes in New Canaan. I got the stink eye from some folks.

I have a 130lb rottie and a pitbull. I guess they're scary. If only they knew the rottie is deathly afraid of everything from ice cubes to caterpillars, lol
Shocked they allowed you to cross the New Canaan town line with a Rottweiler and Pitbull.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Funny, pistachio was our litmus test for whether we would try a place. Green = no; white = yes.

Reaction Score
Pompelmo Gelateria on High St. in Westerly. Right over the border for those of us in southeastern CT. The cantelope gelato was great as I remember. They opened a place in Watch Hill?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Historically, kosher in hasn't been big in New Canaan.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Call this place. They might sell it or make it:

Arethusa Farms​

822 Bantam Rd. Bantam, CT 06750

PHONE
860-361-6460

If not there, Dematteo's in Hamden should have it.

You can google gelato near me, and it will pull places that sell it.

Any decent Italian restaurant should have it. You could order it as takeout there if you chose not to dine in.
The owners of Arethusa Farms are the owners of Manolo Blahnik very high end women’s shoes. They are fairly new to the dairy farm business, but I hear their ice cream is fantastic. Maybe they’ll try to make gelato if you convince them it’s worth it. They don’t seem to do anything halfway.

Reaction Score
If you want the best gelato, you have to go to Italy for it. That is what follows:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom