2023 Recruiting: - Gavin Griffiths | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Gavin Griffiths

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nothing is ever official until it's official, with that said we're getting Griffiths and Bowen. Really interested how things play out at guard. Going to be a monster class.
Eddie Murphy Agree GIF by Coming to America

Reaction Score
Between 2022 and 2023 Martin, Cole, and Gaffney are the schollies that open up. I agree with @superjohn. I think if things fall our way, Bowen replaces Martin, Griffith for Gaffney, and then Castle or Wilcher as the primary impact PG we try to bring in to replace Cole. These are all players which help us chase championships. (Fears & Lemond are high ranked but I haven't seen why yet).

Ultimately the staff has to keep recruiting other good players in case of 'good' or 'bad' contingencies. Over 2 years it would seem likely that Akok, Hawkins, and Sanogo, could have enough success to try to go pro. I would think the focus would be on Edwards if Hawkins has excelled, Buzelis or Miranda to replace Akok, and Bradshaw or Miranda to replace Sanogo. Buzelis will be a top target of many top programs.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Ducharme is probably more realistic than MB. Castle/Wilcher, Ducharme, Griffiths, and Bowen seems like the foundation of our class. Plus some long shots on MB and Miranda I'd imagine. We might not need a stretch 4 like MB after landing Bowen either.

Reaction Score
Ducharme is probably more realistic than MB. Castle/Wilcher, Ducharme, Griffiths, and Bowen seems like the foundation of our class. Plus some long shots on MB and Miranda I'd imagine. We might not need a stretch 4 like MB after landing Bowen either.

Miranda is right in our 30-70 range. Not a reach at all. Buzelis may be approaching 5* status and might be bound for Duke/UNC/UK etc.

Reaction Score
Have a feeling he'll rise like Livley. Way too much upside.

Potential counter-point: he doesn't play for as high level of an AAU team, or nearly as excellent of a HS. He's going to springfield commonwealth academy. Is that even a good basketball school?

Reaction Score
Potential counter-point: he doesn't play for as high level of an AAU team, or nearly as excellent of a HS. He's going to springfield commonwealth academy. Is that even a good basketball school?

They are pretty good in hoops actually and Calipari played a big part in getting his guy to get the head coaching gig:

Reaction Score
They are pretty good in hoops actually and Calipari played a big part in getting his guy to get the head coaching gig:

Yeah I stand corrected. They've made some pretty big moves in NEPSAC I hadn't heard of. Bringing in some decent talent. Still, they're no Westtown, but it's not Bristol Central either.

Reaction Score
Yeah I stand corrected. They've made some pretty big moves in NEPSAC I hadn't heard of. Bringing in some decent talent. Still, they're no Westtown, but it's not Bristol Central either.
Bristol Central will be terrible once Clingan is out. I went so see them play East Catholic in his Sophomore season. East was winning by so much the student section was sitting!

Reaction Score
They are probably pretty decent, they have a few lower level/mid-majors on the team plus Miranda. Femi Odukale who was a freshman at Pitt last year played there

Reaction Score
Please people stop being afraid of Duke, Kentucky,UNC. Bring em on.

Love the attitude. And there's no reason we shouldn't be shooting for the moon with recruits. But the staff surely recognizes that have only put one guy in the league in the last 10 years, we haven't done a thing in the tournament, or been a consistent top-25 team. I think all our fans know we will be on top sooner rather than later, but it hasn't happened on the cuort yet, and that will limit our recruiting a bit.

The 5* guys (Wilcher, Bowen, Edwards) are going to be guys we have longstanding relationships with, and we have narrowed in on early.

Reaction Score
Please people stop being afraid of Duke, Kentucky,UNC. Bring em on.

When is the last time we landed a recruit that was also seriously considering one of those three? Just curious.

Reaction Score
When is the last time we landed a recruit that was also seriously considering one of those three? Just curious.
Probably Drummond. We've beaten Kansas for some of our top recruits recently but I don't think there's been much overlap between UConn and these 3 schools recently in recruiting

Reaction Score
Probably Drummond. We've beaten Kansas for some of our top recruits recently but I don't think there's been much overlap between UConn and these 3 schools recently in recruiting
Exactly, 10 years ago, we landed a hometown kid after wining a national championship.

Dan has been smart about picking his spots with kids we have relationships with and are undervalued. I dont think UConn will ever consistently beat Duke, Kentucky, or UNC for kids.

Reaction Score
Exactly, 10 years ago, we landed a hometown kid after wining a national championship.

Dan has been smart about picking his spots with kids we have relationships with and are undervalued. I dont think UConn will ever consistently beat Duke, Kentucky, or UNC for kids.
With the trajectory recruiting appears to be on right now, the two biggest issues we face are NIL money at some schools and all the historical hype some have received and will continue to receive.

That said, as an eternal optimist, if DH can put the right guys together several championships in the next ten years (there's precedent with 4 in 16 years) could overcome those issues.........

Reaction Score
Between 2022 and 2023 Martin, Cole, and Gaffney are the schollies that open up. I agree with @superjohn. I think if things fall our way, Bowen replaces Martin, Griffith for Gaffney, and then Castle or Wilcher as the primary impact PG we try to bring in to replace Cole. These are all players which help us chase championships. (Fears & Lemond are high ranked but I haven't seen why yet).

Ultimately the staff has to keep recruiting other good players in case of 'good' or 'bad' contingencies. Over 2 years it would seem likely that Akok, Hawkins, and Sanogo, could have enough success to try to go pro. I would think the focus would be on Edwards if Hawkins has excelled, Buzelis or Miranda to replace Akok, and Bradshaw or Miranda to replace Sanogo. Buzelis will be a top target of many top programs.
I also wouldn't count out a reclass for Elliot Cadeau or Jeremiah Jenkins depending on how he develops at Brewster.

Reaction Score
With the trajectory recruiting appears to be on right now, the two biggest issues we face are NIL money at some schools and all the historical hype some have received and will continue to receive.

That said, as an eternal optimist, if DH can put the right guys together several championships in the next ten years (there's precedent with 4 in 16 years) could overcome those issues.........
Why are we at a disadvantage with NIL? Connecticut has approved the laws and UConn has been using it as a major factor to convince the local kids like Donovan Clingan and Alex Karaban to come

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom