Gas vs Electric Oven Range | The Boneyard

Gas vs Electric Oven Range

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Trying to get a feel of what people prefer when it comes to kitchens with gas vs. electric oven ranges. Which would you prefer in your home? What do you think is more valuable to a buyer? Current realtors, home flippers, or contractors your input would be appreciated! Even if you are not in the real estate business feel free to share your thoughts. Thank you!

Reaction Score
Trying to get a feel of what people prefer when it comes to kitchens with gas vs. electric oven ranges. Which would you prefer in your home? What do you think is more valuable to a buyer? Current realtors, home flippers, or contractors your input would be appreciated! Even if you are not in the real estate business feel free to share your thoughts. Thank you!
I do a lot of cooking and just in terms of cooking I prefer gas.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Gas stovetop.

Go with an electric oven. Gas ovens need to vent, so they put a lot of heat into the kitchen. Comforting in the winter, but you won't want that feature in the summer.

BParkDog

I will see number 5.
Reaction Score
Reasons to like electric:
1. Much less risk of fire.
2. Zero risk of explosion.
3. It doesn't consume oxygen in your home and it doesn't produce carbon dioxide and water vapor, as a gas stove will.
4. It doesn't introduce unburned contaminants into your air - natural gas is mostly a mixture of CH4 and C2H6, but there can be other things in there.
5. Less dangerous if you have children or senile people around.
6. Zero risk of incomplete combustion and carbon monoxide production (extremely unlikely, but possible).
7. Cheaper and simpler installation and swap out.
8. Much easier to clean, in the case of planar top electric.
9. Easier to control the heat setting - some gas stoves have an auto-stop and start mechanism to attempt to give a very low heat - that feature involves a tick-tick-ticking every so many seconds - very irritating.

All that written, GAS, all day, every day, for all of the reasons mentioned earlier in the thread. Electric is great for everything EXCEPT cooking on, for which it is - MEH.

Reaction Score
I like gas ranges and electric ovens. People say gas ovens cook better than electric but I don't buy it and it hasn't been my experience. My food always comes out better in an electric oven and I don't have to listen to bangs and pops and humming every time it needs to kick on and get back to temp.

I would rather cook on a hot plate than on an electric stove top.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Gas for the range, but you want to keep the oven electric for a more consistent temp.
I thought about a dual fuel oven, but that would have meant running a separate line for the electricity and I didn’t think it was worth it. I ended up going with a gas convection KitchenAid and I’m very happy with it. More importantly Mrs. 82 is happy with it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Gas is better for the stove top and electric is better for the oven.

Having gas available is a plus for sellers, but don’t overthink it - it’s not going to make a break a sale.

Reaction Score
Tricky to get used to how quickly it heats up?

I don't actually have it, but was looking at it extensively this past summer. You need pans that are metallic and I didn't have those. It heats up faster than gas, cool to the touch much faster so it's safer, and it's really popular in Europe. Making is way here, but more expensive than gas

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
If you have the option of gas for a cooktop you should definitely take it. I do miss my electric convection oven though. The newer models have multiple convect options, roast, broil, bake, etc., which are superior to a gas oven in my opinion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom