Gas vs Electric Oven Range | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Gas vs Electric Oven Range

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Trying to get a feel of what people prefer when it comes to kitchens with gas vs. electric oven ranges. Which would you prefer in your home? What do you think is more valuable to a buyer? Current realtors, home flippers, or contractors your input would be appreciated! Even if you are not in the real estate business feel free to share your thoughts. Thank you!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Photo of the space?

Why? It’s standard size not one of those Wolf monsters. Slide in, microwave above it.

Wife thinks she’d like induction over a new electric.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Why? It’s standard size not one of those Wolf monsters. Slide in, microwave above it.

Wife thinks she’d like induction over a new electric.
You mean she’s finally coming around to your logic? Nice. I’ve been watching this development because we’re in the exact same situation. I’d still prefer the gas and induction combo but not sure it’s worth bringing in propane just for that. She would prefer getting a new glass top electric and I am trying to tell her that makes no sense. I am hoping she comes around to the induction.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If you get one of these in the sizes large enough to accommodate it (six burners or more iirc), you can sub out two of the gas burners for induction rings or cooktops:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

It is pretty simple, the oil delivery companies have a strong local lobby. My neighborhood abuts an underground natural gas line. I have oil heat. It’s the most illogical thing I can think of. Heat in the northeast will never go electric, so gas is the cleanest option we have. Yet there is so much resistance to expanding it. So we burn diesel or wood. Crazy.

Reaction Score
Trying to get a feel of what people prefer when it comes to kitchens with gas vs. electric oven ranges. Which would you prefer in your home? What do you think is more valuable to a buyer? Current realtors, home flippers, or contractors your input would be appreciated! Even if you are not in the real estate business feel free to share your thoughts. Thank you!
all gas no brakes!
but seriously gas all the way
to your question/poll the money factor should be calculated, price difference on house, replacing with Gas after purchase etc

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It is pretty simple, the oil delivery companies have a strong local lobby. My neighborhood abuts an underground natural gas line. I have oil heat. It’s the most illogical thing I can think of. Heat in the northeast will never go electric, so gas is the cleanest option we have. Yet there is so much resistance to expanding it. So we burn diesel or wood. Crazy.
You should just tap into that gas line yourselves. What could go wrong?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You mean she’s finally coming around to your logic? Nice. I’ve been watching this development because we’re in the exact same situation. I’d still prefer the gas and induction combo but not sure it’s worth bringing in propane just for that. She would prefer getting a new glass top electric and I am trying to tell her that makes no sense. I am hoping she comes around to the induction.

I shared articles in Good Housekeeping and by Bob Villa. She said she didn’t care about the science of how it worked, so I found those that talked about the practical cooking differences. It was enough to overcome her preference for the light weight aluminum pans. She hates how long it takes for our electric to heat up unless you put it on H, and the fact that once it does it usually goes past where she wants it. Very hard to control.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You should just tap into that gas line yourselves. What could go wrong?

Given that the town of North Andover blew up a couple of years back, I think I’ll pass.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Update. Our Kitchen Aid induction range arrived today. While I am mostly deaf to high pitched noises, so I don't hear it, but my daughter heard it from a floor and two rooms away. My wife hears it almost like a smoke alarm level noise.

So after waiting 5 weeks, it has to go back. The question is whether other induction ranges would make a similar noise, which would kick us back to normal electric.

Reaction Score
Update. Our Kitchen Aid induction range arrived today. While I am mostly deaf to high pitched noises, so I don't hear it, but my daughter heard it from a floor and two rooms away. My wife hears it almost like a smoke alarm level noise.

So after waiting 5 weeks, it has to go back. The question is whether other induction ranges would make a similar noise, which would kick us back to normal electric.
Sometimes the noise indicates uneven cookware. In other words.. They are not perfectly flat on the bottom.

Your sales person should have mentioned that to you. Not sayin' that's the reason but is among the most common issues associated with induction re:noise.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Not for nothing, but having been a husband and a father to a daughter, have you ever thought about using that to your advantage and getting a dog whistle? ** It could be the advantage men living in households full of women are looking for. Lord knows everyone needs an edge.

1)return the induction range
2) invest in dog whistle
3) learn the times to use it
4)????????
5) Profit?

** disclaimer: this is in no way suggesting women are dogs.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Sometimes the noise indicates uneven cookware. In other words.. They are not perfectly flat on the bottom.

Your sales person should have mentioned that to you. Not sayin' that's the reason but is among the most common issues associated with induction re:noise.

Its not that. No matter what cookware was tried it was the same. Noise never changed.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

That’s a bummer. I am watching with interest as I’m in the same position as you, but warming to the idea of bringing in propane.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
That’s a bummer. I am watching with interest as I’m in the same position as you, but warming to the idea of bringing in propane.

We replaced our loud Kitchen Aid with a Bosch induction. It works well, but takes some practice. The oven is excellent if not large. The pans you use make a difference, there are many with disks at the bottom that work, but work differently than a cast iron or magnetic stainless steel pan. It can be tricky to get the right setting for what you're doing. But I believe part of that is because I've been cooking things wrong (fast and hot) and I lack the patience to cook slowly.

A nit with our unit (and most glass/ceramic top stoves) the circles are all but invisible. This makes it more aesthetically pleasing, but if you don't have the pan centered on the circle, it doesn't really work. Unlike my normal glass top, these don't glow red, so it is a constant challenge to center the pan.

As for the gas article you posted, I don't buy the climate related arguments, we will be using gas for the next 100+ years, and I sure wish I had it in place of the much dirtier diesel I burn to heat my house. Electric isn't feasible for heat in cold climates and the alternatives to gas (oil, wood) are a lot worse. But the internal NO2 emissions thing is interesting. Obviously our forbearers cooked with wood or coal, so gas is way better than that, but still it seems proper venting would be a wise choice for your health.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We replaced our loud Kitchen Aid with a Bosch induction. It works well, but takes some practice. The oven is excellent if not large. The pans you use make a difference, there are many with disks at the bottom that work, but work differently than a cast iron or magnetic stainless steel pan. It can be tricky to get the right setting for what you're doing. But I believe part of that is because I've been cooking things wrong (fast and hot) and I lack the patience to cook slowly.

A nit with our unit (and most glass/ceramic top stoves) the circles are all but invisible. This makes it more aesthetically pleasing, but if you don't have the pan centered on the circle, it doesn't really work. Unlike my normal glass top, these don't glow red, so it is a constant challenge to center the pan.

As for the gas article you posted, I don't buy the climate related arguments, we will be using gas for the next 100+ years, and I sure wish I had it in place of the much dirtier diesel I burn to heat my house. Electric isn't feasible for heat in cold climates and the alternatives to gas (oil, wood) are a lot worse. But the internal NO2 emissions thing is interesting. Obviously our forbearers cooked with wood or coal, so gas is way better than that, but still it seems proper venting would be a wise choice for your health.

When we redid our kitchen one of the issues was the need to replace air if you vent too aggressively. FWIW

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Thanks for the report on your induction experience. Very helpful. Still using our old Kitchen Aid, and still not sure what will replace it.

Agree with you about the gas issue; it was only the concern about internal emissions that got my attention, particularly the 20% increase in incidence of asthma or other respiratory conditions. I would want to know a lot more about the details (e.g., are the concerns the same for propane; did those studies account for other potential factors that could explain the increased incidence, etc.), but I found it interesting that I had never been aware of that concern before, and it does make sense.

When we redid our kitchen one of the issues was the need to replace air if you vent too aggressively. FWIW
Because there might not be enough air to breathe?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

You mean internal airflow? That would require a pretty aggressive system. I'd be inclined to say: open a window. When our first over the stove microwave died, we realized we had no actual venting. We added real outside venting with the replacement. But that is minor compared to those giant hoods that people put over their Wolf or Viking gas ranges.

The whole gas -> NO2 health issue makes me feel a bit better about the induction choice. @8893 I have to believe propane would have the same internal combustion issues that NG has. Meanwhile, what about wood burning fireplaces? Even indoor gas fireplaces? Seems they would have a similar or greater impact.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The whole gas -> NO2 health issue makes me feel a bit better about the induction choice. @8893 I have to believe propane would have the same internal combustion issues that NG has. Meanwhile, what about wood burning fireplaces? Even indoor gas fireplaces? Seems they would have a similar or greater impact.
Yeah I figure the internal combustion issues are the same, but wonder if one burns cleaner than the other.

Did a little googling and learned that propane is actually one of the gasses that combine to make natural gas; but natural gas is around 90% methane.

I haven't seen anything suggesting one has more concerns vs. the other with respect to the respiratory issues addressed in that piece I posted.

I'm sure fireplaces are a concern, too; just not burned as often as stoves. Good question about the gas fireplaces though.

CL82

Reaction Score
Because there might not be enough air to breathe?
But on the plus side food keeps forever in the near vacuum.
You mean internal airflow? That would require a pretty aggressive system. I'd be inclined to say: open a window. When our first over the stove microwave died, we realized we had no actual venting. We added real outside venting with the replacement. But that is minor compared to those giant hoods that people put over their Wolf or Viking gas ranges.
I don't remember the details anymore but basically over a certain CFM code requires that a system be put in place to allow airflow back into the house. Being a pragmatic guy, like yourself, I said I can just open the window but was told no it has to be a passive system. So essentially, we spent a lot of money to get our houses as airtight as possible, so that spend of a lot of money to have them drill a hole in the wall to let in more outside air.

My wife wanted as big a vent as possible, so big that we would need to tie down our pans with bungies to prevent them from being sucked into the fan. My compromise, was to go with highest CFM I could before the additional venting was needed. I doubt she's noticed. She never turns it on.

EDIT: The issue is largely back drafting from the water heater and furnace. See below @2:30

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Honestly, our cooking needs probably are not sophisticated enough to warrant anything beyond the glass electric cooktop we already have, except that it doesn't look as nice now that it's almost 20 years old. I think I have given up fighting my wife's desire to simply replace it with a nice new one. It will cost me a lot less than the alternatives and it will be fine for our purposes.

CL82

Reaction Score
Speaking of fireplaces. When I moved into my house I notice a little discoloration on the fireplace brick. I wondered if the prior owner had forgotten to open the flu damper. I had the fireplace check and the flu was clear. When I made my first fire, I saw that there was a slight but definite curl back of smoke into the room. Really it was more noticeable by feel rather than visually. I talked with some neighbors who had used the same builder and they had the same issue. Opening a window didn't change the issue.

I decided that the issue was likely because the fire wasn't getting hot quickly enough to get to draw the air up the flu and/or it was getting cooled in the relatively long chimney and dropping back down. My solution was to get a gas fireplace which would come up to temperature more quickly. After the install I lit up the fireplace and son of gun, though the issue was diminished it was still present. CO2 monitors said the air quality was fine, but there was definitely some heated air curling back into the room.

I researched how fireplaces work, air flow and the like and decided that the smoke chamber must be too small. I tested this theory by taping up aluminum foil across opening starting at 2" and working my way up. At 6" the the airflow was perfect and all the heated air, which combustion product, went up the chimney perfectly. It turns out that they make smoke chamber extender (black metal, with a heat resistant enamel finish) which I installed. It looks good and the flu draw is perfect.

My guess is the builder decided that a larger fireplace looked more attractive and changed the dimensions. I wish I figured that out before I converted the fireplace to gas. While is consistent and convenient, I like building and tending a fire. Still, it is easy and looks great.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom