Gas vs Electric Oven Range | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Gas vs Electric Oven Range

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Trying to get a feel of what people prefer when it comes to kitchens with gas vs. electric oven ranges. Which would you prefer in your home? What do you think is more valuable to a buyer? Current realtors, home flippers, or contractors your input would be appreciated! Even if you are not in the real estate business feel free to share your thoughts. Thank you!

Reaction Score

This is the new setup. The Wolf induction will go on the left and the Wolf gas cooktop will replace the old ~1980 Chambers cooktop on the right.

The plan is the best of both options. The control of gas for every day cooking and the induction option for specific tasks like boiling water.

Reaction Score
I didn't see this until today. If you are replacing one range with another I'd go with door #3 conduction. It can boil water in 30 seconds. Short of that, I have a dual fuel range. Gas cooktop with an electric over. They are more expensive.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Get an electric wok.
And even so we, we have a moratorium on new kitchen stuff since I bought the cast iron dutch oven without signoff.
Just to wrap up the holidays fittingly on this thread, my present from the little woman was a ceramic wok-type pan made for electric stove tops. What moratorium? Her explanation was that the item will not require any additional storage space. Maybe so but there's more than a little "Homer giving Marge a bowling ball" here.

Reaction Score
Just to wrap up the holidays fittingly on this thread, my present from the little woman was a ceramic wok-type pan made for electric stove tops. What moratorium? Her explanation was that the item will not require any additional storage space. Maybe so but there's more than a little "Homer giving Marge a bowling ball" here.

"Ceramic wok-type pan..." Sounds like it has potential...I think you've gotta allow it....

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

This is the new setup. The Wolf induction will go on the left and the Wolf gas cooktop will replace the old ~1980 Chambers cooktop on the right.

The plan is the best of both options. The control of gas for every day cooking and the induction option for specific tasks like boiling water.

Wow

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Interesting setup. As someone who's range faces four chairs on the other side of an island (my fan rises out of the countertop when needed), I'm wondering if that brick doesn't reflect/throw back heat in your face?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Oh, I'm allowing it. It's not my moratorium!
ill allow it GIF

Reaction Score
Here is the top of our Lacanche range. 4 propane burners surrounding the French simmer plate (or resting area to stage items needed later), and you can remove center of plate to access high-heat propane burner set for wok cooking. To the right are two induction burners.
Lacanche range top

Reaction Score
Here is the view from the front. We went with dark blue (French blue). Two larger ovens (left is electric, center is gas), and to right is warming oven (low & slow cooking, keeping things warm, whatever). Storage underneath in two drawers.

Lacanche range front

Reaction Score
Interesting setup. As someone who's range faces four chairs on the other side of an island (my fan rises out of the countertop when needed), I'm wondering if that brick doesn't reflect/throw back heat in your face?
No, no issue there.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

Looks beautiful but not a fan of the stove=top dials like that. And right in front? Yikes.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Here is the view from the front. We went with dark blue (French blue). Two larger ovens (left is electric, center is gas), and to right is warming oven (low & slow cooking, keeping things warm, whatever). Storage underneath in two drawers.

Lacanche range front
I am reporting this post.

Reaction Score
Looks beautiful but not a fan of the stove=top dials like that. And right in front? Yikes.
I agree! It’s circa 1980 and being replaced. It’s just sitting on the new Quartz until the Wolf comes in. I will say that for a 40 year old cook top the quality is excellent. The flame control is very good.

A benefit of the Wolf Rangetop is the 6 burners with a continuous surface to move pans around. The surface is very sturdy and stable.

The Wolf “cooktop” does sacrifice a burner for the dials on top. I don’t like it as much but it’s a better fit for this retrofit.

A side note - we went with quartz over granite for strength as it’s mostly a frame with small cross sections.

Wolf 36" Professional Gas Cooktop - 5 Burners (CG365P/S)

Wolf 36" Sealed Burner Rangetop - 6 Burners (SRT366)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I have a 12" Simply Ming wok. I enjoy it.
I still have the one I bought off that bald Australian from the infomercials back in the day. It's great.

"Why am I offering you such an incredible deal? Is it because I like you or I love you? I don't even know you!"

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Sorry to bump this thread. Repair guy just came and our LG glass top electric needs about $300-500 of work. My wife has complained about this range since we got it, fan too loud, puts too much heat into the air (vents in front), and the usual complaints about electric vs gas.

So we are at a repair vs replace with a similar range vs going to induction. We have a mix of ferrous and aluminum pans. For skillets the light weight non stick aluminum works well. It looks like a new electric will run roughly $2k and induction roughly $3k. She’d love gas, but I have no idea what it would cost for a large propane tank and running a line through to the kitchen.

Anybody put in propane for a range? Anybody switch to induction?

Edited: thanks to the usual Boneyard sense of humor.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Sorry to bump this thread. Repair guy just came and our LG glass top electric needs about $3-500 of work. My wife has complained about this range since we got it, fan too loud, puts too much heat into the air (vents in front), and the usual complaints about electric vs gas.

So we are at a repair vs replace with a similar range vs going to induction. We have a mix of ferrous and aluminum pans. For skillets the light weight non stick aluminum works well. It looks like a new electric will run roughly $2k and induction roughly $3k. She’d love gas, but I have no idea what it would cost for a large propane tank and running a line through to the kitchen.

I hope it’s closer to $3. Seems like a crazy range

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'The cheapest is to strap two tall ones to the your back.'
ftfy. those other options stink cuz mebbe u can roast a turkey, but u definitely can't melt the ice on the driveway.
2D63BB90566840F4ACA79DB1FD693242.jpg

yankee ingenuity.

Reaction Score
Trying to get a feel of what people prefer when it comes to kitchens with gas vs. electric oven ranges. Which would you prefer in your home? What do you think is more valuable to a buyer? Current realtors, home flippers, or contractors your input would be appreciated! Even if you are not in the real estate business feel free to share your thoughts. Thank you!
To answer the question of paying more for a house that has gas... no. The only way I’d pay more is if it was city gas (piped). Would not pay extra for propane tanks. We had propane, city gas, and now back to electric. Liked the gas for stove top. Don’t know whether gas or electric is better for ovens.
When we had city gas, we had stove, dryer, and furnace/hot water heater all on gas. Glad not to have a hot water heater anymore. On demand is perfect.

Reaction Score
Sorry to bump this thread. Repair guy just came and our LG glass top electric needs about $300-500 of work. My wife has complained about this range since we got it, fan too loud, puts too much heat into the air (vents in front), and the usual complaints about electric vs gas.

Edited: thanks to the usual Boneyard sense of humor.
How old is the LG? We did a 20 year appliance update about 2 years ago, and ended up with a lot of LG stuff, all CR rated/recommended, but starting to regret some choices. TV fixed under warranty, gave away front load washer. Replacement is a top load LG though. Went to GE for dishwasher though.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
How old is the LG? We did a 20 year appliance update about 2 years ago, and ended up with a lot of LG stuff, all CR rated/recommended, but starting to regret some choices. TV fixed under warranty, gave away front load washer. Replacement is a top load LG though. Went to GE for dishwasher though.

I think maybe 7-8 years old. We have liked our LG washer/dryer (also a top load, the front load Whirlpool was a problem). The rest of the kitchen appliances are all Bosch now, after Samsung Refrigerator similarly did not hold up.

What I told my wife was that a new glass top electric doesn't make much sense over fixing the LG, even though she doesn't like it. An induction I can see as worth it as an upgrade.

Reaction Score
I think maybe 7-8 years old. We have liked our LG washer/dryer (also a top load, the front load Whirlpool was a problem). The rest of the kitchen appliances are all Bosch now, after Samsung Refrigerator similarly did not hold up.

What I told my wife was that a new glass top electric doesn't make much sense over fixing the LG, even though she doesn't like it. An induction I can see as worth it as an upgrade.
Photo of the space?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom